Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Key sentence begins:

That probably means they will use Tesla's billing. Tesla takes 1c/kWh, price is set by host. Plug-and-charge AC for Teslas, presumably using Tesla App for others. Universal Wall Connectors are $595.

Let me repeat that: plug-and-charge AC for Teslas. I hope adopting NACS will also allow plug-and-charge AC for other manufacturers and the industry can move to universal plug-and-charge.

If those Tesla L2 chargers for the Hilton deal are not free, (like typical L2 chargers that you can find at some hotels)
then I wonder if there will be a maximum charging duration and an extra charge if you stay connected while not charging
(because you overpassed the maximum charging duration or because you reached the maximum charging value and the car is not charging)?

Since cars at Hotels like Hilton are in general parked by valet attendants,
would those valet attendants be responsible for disconnecting EVs and connecting another EV thereafter?

And if so, how those valet attendants wpould informed about the charging status of each EV?

If those Tesla L2 chargers for the Hilton deal are not free, (like typical L2 chargers that you can find at some hotels)
then I wonder if there will be a maximum charging duration and an extra charge if you stay connected while not charging
(because you overpassed the maximum charging duration or because you reached the maximum charging value and the car is not charging)?

Since cars at Hotels like Hilton are in general parked by valet attendants,
would those valet attendants be responsible for disconnecting EVs and connecting another EV thereafter?
Unless Tesla has a new type of Wall Connector that can bill, I suspect it's going to be the same as the current destination chargers: Charging cost subsidized by the hotel. The cost of charging six BEVs overnight is just a rounding error in the electricity cost of a hotel. The question is if Tesla is donating the Wall Connectors or is Hilton paying something?

Breaking News!

Isaacson leaks that the next gen Teslas will have Cyber styling (both $25k car and Robotaxi)!

Unless Tesla has a new type of Wall Connector that can bill, I suspect it's going to be the same as the current destination chargers: Charging cost subsidized by the hotel. The cost of charging six BEVs overnight is just a rounding error in the electricity cost of a hotel. The question is if Tesla is donating the Wall Connectors or is Hilton paying something?
Gen 3 can bill:
Gen 3 Wall Connector Cost Recovery - Apartment Block

Breaking News!

Isaacson leaks that the next gen Teslas will have Cyber styling (both $25k car and Robotaxi)!

It does worry me that Elon actually intended to have no backup plan for Robotaxi.

1. Thank heavens for the brilliant exec team.
2. The desperation caused by Elon’s stubbornness MIGHT have resulted in the breakthrough of the next gen factory and unboxed process. So maybe it was good that he was pig-headed:)
3. I had no idea Franz was THAT critical at that high a level!

He looks like a bear to me, his 2030 price target is so low...

View attachment 971868

Eh, my 2030 price target for TSLA is even lower than that, I have ~$1400 per share!

Of course, I'm using 16 million production per year rather than Tesla's goal of 20 million. I'm also not including anything for Robotaxi's nor Optimus in that estimate, nor insurance or even charging revenues, my estimate is purely cars + energy, so there is a TON of room for upside in mine.

Unless Tesla has a new type of Wall Connector that can bill,
I suspect it's going to be the same as the current destination chargers: Charging cost subsidized by the hotel.
The cost of charging six BEVs overnight is just a rounding error in the electricity cost of a hotel.
The question is if Tesla is donating the Wall Connectors or is Hilton paying something?

I was making reference to the thread #426,472

>> That probably means they will use Tesla's billing.​
>> Tesla takes 1c/kWh, price is set by host. Plug-and-charge AC for Teslas,​
>> presumably using Tesla App for others. Universal Wall Connectors are $595.​

I am sorry, but you missed my point, which is how to handle charging more EVs than the number of chargers available?

If an EV stays plugged even when full, and if nobody is going to move a fully charged EV and to replace it with another EV,​
then don't expect that you will be able to get your car to be charged, especially when a valet attendant will park your car.​
The payment mechanism could be a way to avoid an EV to stay plugged even when the car is charged,​
but I would not expect that an Hilton's patron will be the kind of person moving his (or her) car in middle of the night.​
Also, it seems difficult for valets to be informed when a car is fully charged.​

Reactions: GSP
Breaking News!

Wow, thank God Franz was there to pull Elon back to reason! Ignoring the person driven compact to focus solely on Robotaxi could have been a very disastrous decision. I very much favor Franz's desire to do both concurrently with the same design.

And it sounds like the Gen 3 vehicle will be a Cyber design afterall!

I'm torn regarding the tidbits Isaacson "leaks" the past few days.

On the one hand I find them very interesting, but on the other hand they are spoilers for the book I've ordered. Oh well. I guess plenty will not have been discussed online.
I’m wondering if Tesla is upset about this last leak. Walter said they stated he was free to reveal all, but maybe they expected some discretion on things like this?

Reactions: PokerFJÆS
I was making reference to the thread #426,472

>> That probably means they will use Tesla's billing.​
>> Tesla takes 1c/kWh, price is set by host. Plug-and-charge AC for Teslas,​
>> presumably using Tesla App for others. Universal Wall Connectors are $595.​

I am sorry, but you missed my point, which is how to handle charging more EVs than the number of chargers available?

If an EV stays plugged even when full, and if nobody is going to move a fully charged EV and to replace it with another EV,​
then don't expect that you will be able to get your car to be charged, especially when a valet attendant will park your car.​
The payment mechanism could be a way to avoid an EV to stay plugged even when the car is charged,​
but I would not expect that an Hilton's patron will be the kind of person moving his (or her) car in middle of the night.​
Also, it seems difficult for valets to be informed when a car is fully charged.​
This doesn't seem that hard if they plan for it. It's easy enough to see if current is passing through a wire from the supply side.

Reactions: UncaNed
At the shareholder meeting, Elon speculated that the next two models could combine for 5 million unit sales per year. At the time I thought he was referring to the compact car, plus the van. I think this leak makes it more likely he was referring to the compact car plus the Robo taxi. Which might be a van?

Reactions: Buckminster
At the shareholder meeting, Elon speculated that the next two models could combine for 5 million unit sales per year. At the time I thought he was referring to the compact car, plus the van. I think this leak makes it more likely he was referring to the compact car plus the Robo taxi. Which might be a van?
The van is a seperate vehicle entirely. I expect 1-2M per year. Mainly for builders/package delivery etc.

Breaking News!

Not so sure. The wording is somewhat ambiguous. “Both had a Futuristic design like the Tesla cybertruck” does not necessarily mean cyber styling. They could look futuristic and not be cyber styled.

I'm torn regarding the tidbits Isaacson "leaks" the past few days.

On the one hand I find them very interesting, but on the other hand they are spoilers for the book I've ordered. Oh well. I guess plenty will not have been discussed online.
Good comment.

I see EM as a very important personality. He needs to be better and more fairly understood - warts and all. I am hopeful that the book will give a better view into the the courtesan community surrounding and influencing him. I think he gets some crappy advice at times.

It does worry me that Elon actually intended to have no backup plan for Robotaxi.

1. Thank heavens for the brilliant exec team.
2. The desperation caused by Elon’s stubbornness MIGHT have resulted in the breakthrough of the next gen factory and unboxed process. So maybe it was good that he was pig-headed:)
3. I had no idea Franz was THAT critical at that high a level!

4. This may explain how delaying GigaMexico isn't a problem if they are planning so that reaching useful Autonomy will coincide with the production ramp in Monterrey.

Reactions: kbM3 and UncaNed
Breaking News!

I find this very reassuring. I do think that despite his obvious genius, elon can sometimes have blind spots, and history has shown his insane optimism regarding robotaxi timelines is the biggest of all.
The fact that top talent at Tesla actually CAN win him over and rein him in occasionally is good news. Its not like they have watered down the companies crazy growth plans or drive for progress.
I think Elon also underestimates both the bureaucratic struggle and the 'hearts and minds' struggle that even a perfect FSD represents. Even if V12.1 came out on monday, and had zero interventions and zero accidents in all weathers and all countries, you are talking at least 5 years for governments around the world to accept and allow it, and at least the same amount of time until joe public feels confident and safe in a driverless car.
5 years is a long time in Tesla years, and they absolutely definitely need the $25,000 mass market car rolling off production lines before then. Plus, how big a deal would it be to just remove the steering wheel and pedals in future anyway?

Key sentence begins:

With at least six chargers at each of the selected hotels, ...

That probably means they will use Tesla's billing. Tesla takes 1c/kWh, price is set by host. Plug-and-charge AC for Teslas, presumably using Tesla App for others. Universal Wall Connectors are $595.

Let me repeat that: plug-and-charge AC for Teslas. I hope adopting NACS will also allow plug-and-charge AC for other manufacturers and the industry can move to universal plug-and-charge.

What about that sentence implies anything about billing and/or plug-and-charge?

Reactions: Snerruc and jerry33