Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a front rumble seat! Needs a cushion with backrest option - Tesla Shop?

Imagine pulling up to a View Point at sunset with a loved one, popping the Frunk. Inside, cozy seats for 2 + Bandit. Add in snacks with other guilty pleasures and it's the perfect love seat. It even has a cover if it rains! for some shade if needed.

Any lighting or speakers? I'd recommend it. What's 6 more speakers anyway. 🤷‍♂️

This got me to thinking even more practically about how, between the CyberFrunk, Trunk in the bed, and covered bed itself, you could smuggle half a dozen or more people into the Drive-in Movie!

Last edited:
CyberTruck logo is imbedded in the back (courtesy of CyberTruckownersclub.com)
cybertruckLogo_frunk2.gif

Farzad made a nice table for the net price sort if you don't get extra options. It leaves out the Model 3 Performance trim since it temporarily leaves the configurator but you can still get them from "new inventory" and "used inventory".

Oh and the red prices and ranges are estimates for US specs when Model 3 Highland comes to the US.

I'll let you watch the video if you want to see his guesses on the Cybertruck and compact car to come.

1693602735654.png

I warn you now, it's a huge step-up from your crummy P100DL, so consider it a done deal... rationalise the purchase by saying your current car is out of warranty and therefore a ticking time-bomb for repair costs

That seems to have worked here. When I suggest to keep our almost out-of-warranty S a couple of years longer, my wife starts talking about potential repair costs.

The platform, the bones of the car, the thing that contributes to the NVH.
Opposite of what Jalopnik might tell you, the X has been updated in many ways since its debut. I believe the "bones" have indeed been updated, likely with at least one big update, as well as frequent smaller updates, as Tesla does with all their vehicles. As proof: please look into the current weight and range of the Model X, and compare that to the original/debut weight and range. The current Model X LR seems to have a similar curb weight to the old 75D, and the current Plaid is almost 100 lbs lighter than the P90D, nearly 200 lbs lighter than the 100D, and nearly 300 lbs lighter than the P100D. That doesn't happen without updating the bones. And we know the newest X versions have much better range and performance figures and a better cooling system.

I believe the latest X version got larger (but not giga) castings and other refinements. Tesla engineers work to frequently update components to reduce weight and enhance the quality of the vehicle. In addition, we know the seats, dash, computers, motors, suspension, wheels, etc. have all been updated several times since the X deliveries first started. The main external cosmetic updates are the front headlights and foglights...but inside and under the skin the updates have been significant. The S is older, but has been updated even more.

For some reason, Jalopnik authors and commentors love to harp on Tesla's "aging platforms" -- they even call the Model Y old, noting that it was first revealed in March of 2019 and went on sale in 2020. But we know that all these updates I noted have happened with the X in its 8-ish years of production, and the S, 3, and Y have had similar continuous updates with a few major changes. Tesla does it differently than other manufacturers -- Tesla makes more frequent small updates/changes, and DOESN'T make a big deal out of regularly doing a bunch of updated pointless body creases and fake plastic vents like other manufacturers do every few years, so Jalopnik doesn't recognize the updates. Best I can tell, based on the articles and comments pertaining to Tesla, Jalopnik and the commenters there REALLY value fake vents and pointless creases in the sheet metal, and want to see those updated regularly, and don't actually care about performance/comfort/range/handling/etc.

Honestly, I read Jalopnik regularly...but please don't use them as a source for anything Tesla related. They are very clearly biased and quite often misinformed in article after article they write about Tesla. Anybody who corrects the factual errors in the comments is harassed as a fanboy/Elon simp/part of the cult/etc....all while the Tesla haters are so busy patting each other's backs repeating the same often misinformed or flawed complaints about Tesla and Elon. The Jalopnik authors write so many Tesla articles that the authors themselves complain about writing so many right in the articles themselves (they must have some sort of Tesla click-bait quota).

As an example -- Remember when Elon used the line: "all input is error"? In context, Elon clearly meant to sum up the idea that a truly smart and automated car should figure out what you need and do it (navigation, climate control, wipers, headlights, etc. etc. etc.)..and that any input required of the user meant the car made an error and the user was correcting it. For some inexplicable reason, at least one Jalopnik author took that one line -- "input is error" -- and completely misinterpreted it out of context, then wrote an entire article implying that Elon meant the driver was the one making errors and Tesla/Elon think the AI does know best. You can google the article - "Elon Musk Said Something That Reveals Much Of What's Wrong With Tesla" from June 2021. The author (Jason Torchinsky) hints a few times at Elon's true meaning, but for some reason latches on to his own forced misinterpretation and then criticizes Elon for it. It's like the Tesla/Elon hate is blinding.

Long story short -- the X and all the other Teslas has had its bones/platform updated...continually and with at least one step change. The car "looks the same" from 50 yards away, and that's what Jalopnik is complaining about. Other manufacturers make cosmetic exterior updates every few years and make a big deal about that, but Tesla doesn't...Tesla makes frequent smaller changes to things that matter, quite often under the skin. Don't be fooled when people who don't pay attention to what Tesla is really doing complain because Tesla is different. They're the same ones who spent years saying Tesla would be bankrupt soon...

"post-Drew", what do you mean by that? Did you mean "post-Zach"?

Bit on reflection it could well be that Tesla were testing the waters on pricing with the standard-range, if indeed they saw a significant interest, decided the margins were worth it, then yes, just drop the price and stop dicking about

I would imagine if anyone did actually order one, that they'll either get a long-range delivered now, or if they already received the SR, have it unlocked for free, would be the right thing to do

Amusing stock price today, I suspect it was going to happen whatever Tesla announced, but obviously the detractors pounce on the price-cuts and say little about the huge upgrade to the Model 3 and the substantial price rise in China
Oops. i wrote engineering and got them confused.

Yes. I meant Post-Zach.

glad we still have Drew.

I've had some additional thoughts on Highland and the Model S/X price cuts.

1. I can see why Highland was need in China ASAP, some Chinese buyers consider newer models like the BYD Seal more desirable because they are newer. This way of thinking is not unique to the Chinese, many Australians also think like that. Some of the changes, with the rear screen and the ability of the rear screen to move the seat in front forward seem targeted at the Chinese market.

2. Small shutdowns for Highland in Shanghai have been going on for a long time. I don't think Fremont has had the same number of shutdowns or that there is the same evidence of advance preparation for Highland production at Fremont.

3. With 50% new parts I am sure for Shanghai production most of those parts are from local Chinese sources. We don't know the readiness of the parts supply chains to support Fremont, Importing Chinese parts from the same supply to support Fremont would be a bad idea if a parts supply issue could affect production at 2 plants at the same time. Shanghai production has at least tightened up the specifications for the new parts, and Chinese parts can be a contingency for a future Fremont ramp.

4. Highland production isn't as urgent in NA, there isn't the same competition from cars like the BYD Seal in the North American market.

5. The timing of any Fremont shutdown would need to be considered, especially given IRA credits, the Shanghai shutdown.

6. There is a radical path in Fremont that they may take to build small numbers of highland vehicles in a "validation mode" while keeping the main line running in a separate area. End of line may be being moved to a new tent. The area where end of line used to be may be suitable for low volume Highland production via the "unboxed process". I don't know if this is possible, or if Fremont is the right location in North America to do it.

7. Assuming some trial "unboxed production" of Model 3 was possible, getting that running smoothly before shutting down the main line is a good idea.

8. I think the plan for North American Highland may be more radical because reducing manufacturing costs at Fremont is more important. And because no one wants a bunch of unemployed Optimus robots hanging out on the street,

9. Model S/X price cuts would not be happening if they were not needed. Perhaps the SR was an attempt to increase demand which did not work, and we have a typical "end of quarter push" scenario.

10. However there is one more good reason to reduce Model S/X prices - Cybertruck. if Cybertruck was considerably cheaper than Model S/X, more modern with some new features that Model S/X don't currently have, some potential Model S/X buyers might order a Cybertruck, The additional problem with that is, Cybertruck is likely to be a slow ramp.

11. I now expect the price of the initial versions of Cybertruck to be fairly close to Model S/X pricing. With a long wait for a Cybertruck some CT reservation holders might opt for a Model S/X instead.

Last edited:
Out of all the Highland changes, I’m happiest about the NVH and suspension improvements. Whenever I’ve seen reviews from sites I respect, these were the areas that always drew the strongest criticisms.
This is a home run. They addressed all of the issues the car had previously: turtle nose, too stiff a ride, too noisy, wood dash. These changes will age well.

This got me to thinking even more practically about how, between the CyberFrunk, Trunk in the bed, and covered bed itself, you could smuggle half a dozen or more people into the Drive-in Movie!
YOU might be only able to smuggle in six. Back in the '70s I could smuggle six in my '69 falcon. In a cyber(nota)truck I'd smuggle in so many all the swings would be taken.