Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you, or others here, genuinely consider this a relevant gamble? If so, I think EV's actual futures might look very different than what I see. I consider Tesla the premier EV battery manufacturer (even if Panasonic is involved) with the most longevity research, data and control (via OTA). If Tesla is producing their current generation vehicles that well-informed people still consider a "gamble" after 5 years of ownership, I would have to question my investment thesis.

I've read much FUD on this topic, yet I personally consider the probability of a battery replacement within 200K miles less likely (ie gamble) than I would consider an engine failure that would cost equal or greater than said battery replacement. That number likely extends well bey even 300K miles, IMO. I will admit battery issues outside warranty are statistically greater than ZERO...Am I missing something?

I have no doubt that Tesla battery packs have the longest longevity of the EV-sector. I also have no doubt that in the next 10 years, when we will see (Tesla) batteries that have been used for 10 to 20 years, many of them will remain the first and only pack used on a car.

But when I bought my Model S almost 8 years ago, I thought that economies of scale and a decade of battery improvements would make an out-of-warranty battery replacement a relatively minor cost. Instead, a new (not refurbished) battery pack costs 20% of a new car. It doesn’t make sense to invest that kind of money in a car that half-way it’s life cycle.

If I would have to replace my battery, I currently have 2 options (repairing a battery pack is not an option from Tesla):
- a refurbished battery with similar range as my dead battery, with 2 years warranty.
- a new battery (maybe even a slightly larger battery), with 4 years/80000km warranty.
None of those 2 options are very attractive to me because of the unreasonably short warranty conditions.
When I buy a new Model S , I will also buy 8 years/240000km peace of mind in terms of warranty (note that practically all defects that I’ve had so far were out-of-warranty: door handles, MCU, and recently front suspension).
At least Tesla should give the option to buy an extended warranty for people that want peace of mind like me. As an individual I can’t spread that risk, but Tesla can spread that risk over all battery replacements. I can’t even quantify that risk, but Tesla can.

Do not know which is more exciting; These cybertruck sightings or seeing the semi in real action working for TESLA. Next it will be the bots working for Tesla. Who cares where the stock price or current profit margins are: HODL.
Definitely agree with the first part of your message, but as for the SP, it could be a bit higher for me until the next pop (margin calls ya know).

Hadn't even thought about the Optimi lately... wonder if they're working in the GF's currently? That will be way cool, even if it's just transporting boxes untethered!

Reactions: jkirkwood001
weekend juice for conversation:

hope its worth the squeeze. also, relevant from the 1960's leading up to that year:

Thanks for the post! Very interesting, especially 1971...

Indeed, the new MS/X look similar to the old, but they are completely different proposition, and some of these prices are very compelling - seems to include EAP too...
One factor that seems to plague Tesla information is the notion that Model S is a 2011 vintage car still in production. When I consider my 2014 Model SP85D+ with my 2021 S Plaid I barely can compare factually. Imagine EPA range at 265vs396, lifetime Wh/mi of 334 for the P85D vs 303 for the Plaid and so on. Not only those benefits but the actual US$ price of the P85D+ was higher than that of the 2021 Plaid, and the price has dipped since.

TSLA share prices never reflect the value of continuous improvement, and often appear to be the whim of market makers which adore easy-to-manipulate retail investors.

hope its worth the squeeze. also, relevant from the 1960's leading up to that year:

Interesting charts. My answer to the question of what happened around 1971 is related to technology adoption, in particular that of color TV.

1692475590139.jpeg

Reactions: betstarship
In the US market there are aftermarket options as well as Tesla. My new battery has the rest of my 8 years of warranty. One replaced under warranty at 7 years 11 months has 1 month. I believe out of warranty has a 2 year warranty ,or 4 if a new one. The rebuilt aftermarket ones have 2 years. Not dissimilar to engine replacement in an ice. I hope the 2170 batteries are doing better. They have a lot less connections to worry about. Thereare 7,000 cells in mine, if I remember correctly!

Interesting stuff. Globalization happened. Also, we went off the gold standard (end of Breton Woods removed the dollar-gold peg of $35) and oil started being priced in dollars rather than gold, which was much higher than the peg. That, followed by OPEC increasing prices with an embargo a couple years later didn’t help.

One factor that seems to plague Tesla information is the notion that Model S is a 2011 vintage car still in production. When I consider my 2014 Model SP85D+ with my 2021 S Plaid I barely can compare factually. Imagine EPA range at 265vs396, lifetime Wh/mi of 334 for the P85D vs 303 for the Plaid and so on. Not only those benefits but the actual US$ price of the P85D+ was higher than that of the 2021 Plaid, and the price has dipped since.

TSLA share prices never reflect the value of continuous improvement, and often appear to be the whim of market makers which adore easy-to-manipulate retail investors.
Indeed, I've gone from 2013 P85 -> 2016 XP100DL+ -> 2022 MX Plaid and each car has been a huge upgrade on the previous

As for range and efficiency, my XP100 was around 425kms fully charged and returned 275W/km for the time I had it, the Plaid 500kms & so far 245W/km, not to mention the faster charging, I didn't objectively measure, but on a typical road trip, say Brussels to Copenhagen, it translates to approximately 1.5 hours faster - one less charging stop and shorter times when we do... as I have to point out to my wife now, we never wait for the car any more, it's always waiting for us

There is a decent number of highland 3s piling up in Shanghai based on Jason's latest video
View attachment 966530

This is very surprising to me, and also welcome. I really did not expect Tesla to go to such lengths to avoid people seeing a highland 3 a little bit ahead of the reveal. This does imply that highland really is not 'the same car but cheaper to make'. To go to such lengths to avoid photos means there are real visible differences that even the usual awful news websites could make a story out of.

This could be very good news. Tesla must be genuinely concerned that early leaks would make existing 3's hard to sell. That means there is some stuff about highland that is much better for the buyer than the existing model 3. Given that they all know we saw the leaked image with the new front bumper (which personally I hate but YMMV), I'm guessing its internal differences. Maybe the new highland model 3 has a more substantial screen, or perhaps something more radical?

I don't want to talk about it... too depressing. :mad:

Though I do hope for great things from X.COM working to level the playing field. That is, I hope I live long enough to see a company like that create a financial environment where purveyors of fiat currencies, and of crypto currencies, will all compete in a common clearinghouse in order to offer the option for anyone anywhere to choose to use one form of money over another.

Whichever ones maintain their value best over time will be rewarded with the general populace' vote as they select that medium of exchange to hold their account in.

Such a choice for individuals through a third party could be the "sly, roundabout way" Hayek alluded to, in that it could turn on it's ear the "hidden tax" of inflation deployed by all fiat money suppliers in their efforts to steal hours of life from their citizens and subtly exercise population control by manipulating the value of their (alleged) money.

Last edited:
I don't want to talk about it... too depressing. :mad:

Though I do hope for great things from X.COM working to level the playing field. That is, I hope I live long enough to see a company like that create a financial environment where purveyors of fiat currencies, and of crypto currencies, will all compete in a common clearinghouse in order to offer the option for anyone anywhere to choose to use one form of money over another.

Whichever ones maintain their value best over time will be rewarded with the general populace' vote as they select that medium of exchange to hold their account in.

Such a choice for individuals through a third party could be the "sly, roundabout way" Hayek alluded to, in that it could turn on it's ear the "hidden tax" of inflation deployed by all fiat money suppliers in their efforts to steal hours of life from their citizens and subtly exercise population control by manipulating the value of their (alleged) money.

I angel invested in a good app you could vent to if you're interested. DM me, I'll send a link

Reactions: 2daMoon
A friend of mine who bought Nissan Arya last month, claims based on the video below that he can now charge in any Tesla SC throughout US, by just using a CCS to NACS adapter.

- Is that true?
- Where does one get an adapter like that ?
- How is the so called "magic dock" different from this?

If this true why don't we see a surge of all OEM EVs in all Tesla SCs today?

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax
A friend of mine who bought Nissan Arya last month, claims based on the video below that he can now charge in any Tesla SC throughout US, by just using a CCS to NACS adapter.

- Is that true?
- Where does one get an adapter like that ?
- How is the so called "magic dock" different from this?

If this true why don't we see a surge of all OEM EVs in all Tesla SCs today?

I'm sure that any company who provides an app to use a Tesla charger will need to coordinate with Tesla for an API. Maybe Nissan has, but it seems unlikely.

Unless there is a way for anyone to set up the Tesla app to charge their non-Tesla vehicle, which seems a smidgen less than impossible.

I'm sure that any company who provides an app to use a Tesla charger will need to coordinate with Tesla for an API. Maybe Nissan has, but it seems unlikely.

Unless there is a way for anyone to set up the Tesla app to charge their non-Tesla vehicle, which seems a smidgen less than impossible.

That video claims, all you need is an adapter that Nissan will soon start selling.

Haven’t seen this posted yet in either here nor the semi forum. Real world data on the semi.
Great video, and specific for future TSLA financials, the last statement is crucial (11:50 or so, but explanation actually starts closer to 11:00-11:30). They (Pepsi, but soon every other customer) now realize that it’s important to plan, from the beginning, for a complete fleet conversion at a specific location, not a piecemeal approach. This will eventually hit Wall Street like a million 82,000 lb semi trucks. Tesla will sell every semi made for decades. Customers will demand hundreds of semis for each location, not just a handful for testing. They are now planning for complete fleet conversion.

I think about all of the truck stops across the US, all the noise, pollution, diesel consumption, traffic jams. I think about all the semis slowly crawling uphill (often blocking traffic when one traveling 61 mph decides to pass another traveling 60 mph) and the time spent in this wasted endeavor. I think of diesel semis traveling downhill at unsafe speeds just to make up for that wasted time, and all the lost regenerative energy. The results are in and plans are being made for the future. Complete fleet conversion. All heavy, long haul, and short haul diesel truck will be replaced with electric as soon as possible. Production, not demand, is the limiting factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
So as this is the weekend, is this the real reason for wtf happened in 1971?

50 Years After Nixon Ended the Gold Standard, Dollar’s Dominance Faces Threat: 50 Years After Nixon Ended the Gold Standard, Dollar’s Dominance Faces Threat

I lived through all of it, especially the oil "shortage" and doubling of gas prices... remember only being able to buy on even or off days based upon the last digits of your car license? And WIN (whip inflation now)?