Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been available for 10-15 years for anyone with a spare UPS, a few Anderson Connectors to tap off the HV battery and a working Prius at the most basic.
not a new concept. You just hit the "On" button and leave in standby

Yes, I recall this. But very few Prius owners actually did this, so I think this is not as popular as Ford thinks.

There are some times when "Lack of evidence does not mean evidence of lack" is not operative.

I refer to the fate of the Fremantle Highway, that 3,000 vehicle car carrier now three days into burning off the coast of Zeeland. That there has not been a peep, as far as my reasonably thorough searching has uncovered, that a Tesla was involved is good enough for me to declare that to a 99.44% likelihood, with error bars of +/- 0.56%, whatever EV combusted it was NOT a Tesla.

We would have heard, guarandumbteed.
@AudubonB, very surprised that you would state factually that it was an EV that caused the fire on the Fremantle Highway cargo ship. Of the 3,783 vehicles on board only 498 were EVs. I have read a dozen different articles from a dozen different sources and all claimed the cause of the fire has not been established. Article headlines clearly accuse an EV as suspect, however all speculation. Note the ship Owner is also the same Owner as the Ever Given, the huge cargo ship that ran aground blocking the Suez Canal for seven days in March 2021, backing up 364 cargo ships causing bottleneck of goods delivery across the globe. We all need to be careful not to spread false information. It is unfortunate that the damage to transition of transportation from ICE to EVs due to this incident, via MSM misinformation, has already been done.

Last edited:
Who was the Mod who tried to stop poetry?
It never, ever was I. I do, however, plead Guilt of Omission: I did not step in - and this is now quite a few years ago - to overrule the non-Mods who were using their superstitions to browbeat others, and eventually an innocent (?) Mod seemed to have thought it was a Mod directive.

@AudubonB, very surprised that you would state factually that it was an EV that caused the fire on the Fremantle Highway cargo ship. Of the 3,783 vehicles on board only 498 were EVs. I have read a dozen different articles from a dozen different sources and all claimed the cause of the fire has not been established. Article headlines clearly accuse an EV as suspect, however all speculation. Note the ship Owner is also the same Owner as the Ever Given, the huge cargo ship that ran aground blocking the Suez Canal for seven days in March 2021, backing up 364 cargo ships causing bottleneck of goods delivery across the globe. We all need to be careful not to spread false information. It is unfortunate that the damage to transition of transportation from ICE to EVs due to this incident, via MSM misinformation, has already been done.
Fair point.

Fair, I write: not Good, and definitely not Excellent. To earn those accolades, I should think you would want to show:

1. Examples of car carriers catching on fire before the era of EV transport by same, and

2. A synopsis of carrier fires that have happened at and since that point, and which of them conclusively have been shown to be EV-generated.

But I have edited the original post to include your point, and given you the deserved nod.

Yes, I recall this. But very few Prius owners actually did this, so I think this is not as popular as Ford thinks.
I do think V2H (Vehicle to Home) is a big deal. With the Prius you need to get and inverter and tap into the high voltage battery which most people will not do. But put a plug in the trunk or bed of a truck and people will flock to it. Guaranteed.

“…With a bidirectional charger, energy can flow both ways: both into your EV or back out, opening up many possibilities such as providing backup power during blackouts, or powering lights when you’re camping, he said. In a condo building, if enough EVs were plugged in at the same time, their batteries could be used to power systems in the building when electricity prices are high…”

From a story in today’s Toronto Star, explaining how a business case is being made for EV charging capabilities in existing condos:

I do think V2H (Vehicle to Home) is a big deal. With the Prius you need to get and inverter and tap into the high voltage battery which most people will not do. But put a plug in the trunk or bed of a truck and people will flock to it. Guaranteed.
Yes. It's great as long as they can remember to shut off the main breaker so that the electricity doesn't go back to the grid and harm the technicians working on the problem.

For those unaware, the YouTuber here MKBHD is one of the biggest stars on YouTube, his videos regularly get many millions of views. Great exposure here.

Coincidentally I just got an email from Tesla encouraging me to get a solar roof. Maybe the rumors of the death of that business have been exaggerated….
Ironic. They seem to be pimping the Solar Roof now, while mine has been ready for months to install with financing and permits in place. I hope they will start with current orders first.

@Artful Dodger
"hope springs eternal"
I have read the Washington Post for around 55years +. WaPo has degraded IMHO

They presently have a writer who publishes negative to very negative about anything Tesla.

Wapo did/does have a mildly positive about California road trip in EV and mentions Tesla faintly positively but the general public and commenters are mostly negative. failing chargers, slow chargers, payment problems, stuck chargers, etc

As a cynic, you could look at the WaPo 10-15 years ago,
Sunday edition and a full complete section was Automotive (no longer) and the advertising costs were eyewatering for full and 1/2 page ads, of which there were alot,
Tesla does not advertise, so zero revenue for Bezos
Gell-Mann Amnesia effect personified...

For those unaware, the YouTuber here MKBHD is one of the biggest stars on YouTube, his videos regularly get many millions of views. Great exposure here.

Coincidentally I just got an email from Tesla encouraging me to get a solar roof. Maybe the rumors of the death of that business have been exaggerated….
I got that email from Tesla also. To clarify, it is for solar panels, not solar roof. You can tell by the picture...

1000003299.jpg

Who knows, why waste a good question about solar roof on Say when you can ask about CT demand?

Weekend tangential topic: Just enjoyed a nice week or two in Copenhagen. A very electric city, judging from the 350kW chargers I passed every day, along with the taxis charging at them. Major city, no detectable air pollution. No detectable water pollution where I was at, a major canal with lots of traffic ... most of which consisted of electric tour boats. No rainbow sheen of oil on the water, something we see a lot of on our boating lakes here in Texas. About the only things I saw in the water there was seagrass up from the bottom (and some rather large jellyfish). What a clean place overall.
They are big into wind over there, best I can tell from anecdotal looking; less so in solar (likely since that would suck in the winter when you really need energy) but that may change as seasonal storage comes online. Or not; they have lots of wind and way more efficient buildings than we do around here.
I saw a reasonable number of Teslas; fewer than here, but the Berlin ramp is fairly recent. And I saw plenty of VW and other EV's, and of course, way more bicycles than cars.
Keep the faith folks: the future we are aiming for is brighter, cleaner, safer, more pleasant to live in, and already (in most locales) cheaper. I appreciated my glimpse of it this summer. Let's try to not let Ford et al. backslide and slow us down.
I am now back in the 3rd circle of Hell. Hoping for cooler weather by mid October. Solar + heat pump holding up fine here, doing my part to shore up our fine grid.
Growler out.

I got that email from Tesla also. To clarify, it is for solar panels, not solar roof. You can tell by the picture...

I get emails from Tesla to buy solar probably once or twice a year- for years now.

Every time I click the link in the email it tells me not available in my area.

Which is extra weird since they know my zip code- and they know what areas they service- but can't seem to be bothered to filter one against the other when sending these.

Why on Earth would Ford pull a Toyota and sink money into hybrids? That's like companies deciding that ISDN is the future...or thinking we should go back to LaserDiscs. Bad move by Jim Farley.
I would say the answer to that question is just look at their EV financials that they so graciously separated out for us. Supporters speculated it was in preparation to split the business. It’s kind of looking like they did it to have a convenient excuse for shareholders to not do EVs and to shift to hybrids. Hybrids make money. EVs lose money. Therefore Ford will not make EVs. Yeah, team!

Last edited:
Years ago, someone posted a hilarious "product review" (apparently a riff on a similar books vs ebooks review) here on TMC on "ICE cars for EV drivers"
I can't find it now, but it included gems like "so how much will it cost to install a fuel pump at my house?"

(Sorry for tangential OT, but EV acceptance is part of Tesla's mission and a factor in Tesla's success
Not sure if this is the one, but just reread it and it's still pretty hilarious. I wish I'd written it! #286,494

Fair point.

Fair, I write: not Good, and definitely not Excellent. To earn those accolades, I should think you would want to show:

1. Examples of car carriers catching on fire before the era of EV transport by same, and

2. A synopsis of carrier fires that have happened at and since that point, and which of them conclusively have been shown to be EV-generated.

But I have edited the original post to include your point, and given you the deserved nod.
German main news cast claimed it as factual. At least their web sites article says 'unconfirmed' about the speculation. Nasty.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger