Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as Tesla doesn’t expect to fully recognize the deferred revenue for FSD in the coming months, I don’t believe a word of what Elon is saying or tweeting about FSD V12.
Agreed. FSD will come to fruition some day But these constant exclamations of “next level, mind blowing” etc etc are hurting the brand. Nobody believes them anymore and they are always disappointing. Give honest progress reports and indicate areas of improvement needed.

I’m calling zero chance of a hatchback for Highland. Franz doesn’t design that kind of boxy (typical of hatchbacks) shaped butt end on vehicles, I don’t see Tesla shortening up the back piece of glass nor elongating the sides of the lift gate to have it hinged higher along the roof line, and I doubt hatchbacks are aesthetically appealing to Elon.

A core ingredient to the mission was to make compelling EVs that didn’t look like glorified golf carts. While a hatchback may add usage value for people, they ain’t ‘pretty’. Pretty is important to Tesla.
And it works. There is a market for a good looking high performance sedan like the model 3. That may change someday but right now the model 3 does ok in its market.

I am curious what the Mexican made model 2 (or whatever they call it) will be. Little hatch? Smalller sedan? Time will tell.

Reactions: Baumisch and MC3OZ
I’m calling zero chance of a hatchback for Highland. Franz doesn’t design that kind of boxy (typical of hatchbacks) shaped butt end on vehicles, I don’t see Tesla shortening up the back piece of glass nor elongating the sides of the lift gate to have it hinged higher along the roof line, and I doubt hatchbacks are aesthetically appealing to Elon.

A core ingredient to the mission was to make compelling EVs that didn’t look like glorified golf carts. While a hatchback may add usage value for people, they ain’t ‘pretty’. Pretty is important to Tesla.
I think some folks don't really distinguish between a hatch back (vertical-ish like on an SUV or minivan) and a lift-back (slanty, like the S, Y, and X). Now that I think of it, it's interesting that the Model 3 is the only current Tesla that doesn't use the lift-back geometry.

I'm kindof hoping that Tesla manages to increase parts sharing between the Model 3 and the Model Y on newer versions. Could they both eventually use the same front and rear castings? Should there be a lift-back version of the Model 3 and could it potentially use the same or slighly modified version of the hatch on the Y?

Which brings me to my next hope:
Cyber-SUV. Nearly identical to the Cybertruck, sharing many parts. Delete the wall between the bed and the cab, add a more flat-ish and extended roof over the bed area, and some modifications to the top parts of the rear casting(s) to support that roof...and an extra row of seats. At least 2-2-2 seating, but bonus points if it can seat 7 or 8. Tonneau and its storage compartment gets deleted (3rd row foot room?), and I don't care if it has a hatch or a lift-back...I'm in it for the seating capabilities. Or a Cyber-Van would be good too, but it seems like an SUV is a more simple modification to the Cybertruck platform with fewer changes and unique parts needed.

I know approximately nothing of vehicle structures, so I'm sure that there are complications with both the 3/hatch and Cyber-SUV...but especially the Cyber-SUV seems like an untapped market for Tesla (big/roomy, off-roady, 3-row SUV) with minimal additional design or manufacturing costs. Almost a no-brainer if reasonably feasible.

Sad, if true. Pretty is very subjective; I personally don’t care for the humpiness of the MY but I love the look of my RAV4.

It seems to me that success of the mission to accelerate the adoption of EV’s would be served by a variety of looks and styles to appeal to a variety of people.

It saddens me that as my little RAVioli nears the end of her life my only options for the best EV on the planet are limited to the MY and the M3.

The S is a hatchback. That's the kind of design I was referring to.

A model 3 with an S-type hatchback would have far more utilizable cargo space with pretty much zero compromises.

I think some folks don't really distinguish between a hatch back (vertical-ish like on an SUV or minivan) and a lift-back (slanty, like the S, Y, and X). Now that I think of it, it's interesting that the Model 3 is the only current Tesla that doesn't use the lift-back geometry.

I'm kindof hoping that Tesla manages to increase parts sharing between the Model 3 and the Model Y on newer versions. Could they both eventually use the same front and rear castings? Should there be a lift-back version of the Model 3 and could it potentially use the same or slighly modified version of the hatch on the Y?

Which brings me to my next hope:
Cyber-SUV. Nearly identical to the Cybertruck, sharing many parts. Delete the wall between the bed and the cab, add a more flat-ish and extended roof over the bed area, and some modifications to the top parts of the rear casting(s) to support that roof...and an extra row of seats. At least 2-2-2 seating, but bonus points if it can seat 7 or 8. Tonneau and its storage compartment gets deleted (3rd row foot room?), and I don't care if it has a hatch or a lift-back...I'm in it for the seating capabilities. Or a Cyber-Van would be good too, but it seems like an SUV is a more simple modification to the Cybertruck platform with fewer changes and unique parts needed.

I know approximately nothing of vehicle structures, so I'm sure that there are complications with both the 3/hatch and Cyber-SUV...but especially the Cyber-SUV seems like an untapped market for Tesla (big/roomy, off-roady, 3-row SUV) with minimal additional design or manufacturing costs. Almost a no-brainer if reasonably feasible.
I literally just Googled “Is Model X a hatchback?" 20 minutes ago.

And I’m still not really sure if it is.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand and EQC_
The market is betting on things returning to recent years vs historical then. In the last 70 years, the Fed rate has averaged 4.62%, just slightly below where we are today. I enjoy free money and high PE ratios like the next guy, but history says Fed rates don't mathematically stay near zero...

View attachment 959847
Pretty easy argument to be made that near 0% interest rates are actually bad.

My version goes like this - with rates near 0%, should stimulus be needed for whatever reason, one of the important tools in the kit isn't available, because the market is already running with a high level of stimulus. The different tools act differently in the economy, and the stuff that this lever acts on can't be acted on when interest rates are already 0%.

Pretty easy argument to be made that near 0% interest rates are actually bad.

My version goes like this - with rates near 0%, should stimulus be needed for whatever reason, one of the important tools in the kit isn't available, because the market is already running with a high level of stimulus. The different tools act differently in the economy, and the stuff that this lever acts on can't be acted on when interest rates are already 0%.
Well, you could always drive them down into negative rate territory (which is what ECB did for years, although how much it helped is debatable).

One person is making changes.

One person is reporting changes.

Not quite the same.

You sure it's not quite the same? Thunderf00t and fans thinks they are changing the world by pooping on everything Elon tho.

Ehh, that's just like saying "what have YOU done lately?" when someone levels criticism of someone higher up when the person speaking is someone lower on the totem poll. You're essentially saying "He's Elon, therefore your argument is void." I could ask the same of you.

I would also argue that it is very important that people do report on changes. I would agree that going into it thinking you're going to "own" Elon is a bit naive, but some of ya'll seem to lump those people with people like green. There's a big difference between the two groups.

People are people, and sometimes that may come off as not being 100% factual. But I think we can at least on some level smartly come through some of the emotion if its not thick enough and get to the facts, which for some reason certain groups of people here refuse to do.

Be loyal to Elon 100% at your own risk...

The new V4 Supercharger pedestals are rated for 1000v/1000A:

1 Million watts?!

1_ZYpBSAe0dC4_ha-3GhcO9Q.jpeg
64642E47-C52C-4935-884A-E6A59AB9AFFF.jpeg

Ehh, that's just like saying "what have YOU done lately?" when someone levels criticism of someone higher up when the person speaking is someone lower on the totem poll. You're essentially saying "He's Elon, therefore your argument is void." I could ask the same of you.

I would also argue that it is very important that people do report on changes. I would agree that going into it thinking you're going to "own" Elon is a bit naive, but some of ya'll seem to lump those people with people like green. There's a big difference between the two groups.

People are people, and sometimes that may come off as not being 100% factual. But I think we can at least on some level smartly come through some of the emotion if its not thick enough and get to the facts, which for some reason certain groups of people here refuse to do.

Be loyal to Elon 100% at your own risk...
Uh yeah sure. There can be people who criticize Elon, but only from his closest managers. Why? Because they have all the information. Do you know who people shouldn't listen from? Those who start with the premise of "it's fraud because it's Elon", then make an argument down the line. That's not criticism. That's wasting good oxygen being a net negative for society.

Last edited:

Huh?
Model S?