Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i dont disagree with much of your post, But solar roof is a real product that is shipping, it just didnt have the product-market fit that was expected, so I don’t think it adds to an argument to not get excited about future product releases.

Instead I would have used the large delays on Semi, CT & Roadster as a reason to be cautious, but would have to apply reasoning as to why the swift delivery of model 3 & Y, MegaPack, Tesla Insurance, supercharger network, along with the rapid factory builds should not be used aas evidence to the contrary.
The price as promised wasn't met. It is considerably more than a new roof with solar panels. I'm still debating it but the last price I received even with the federal tax incentive was over $100k. Hoping they reach some sort of volume production efficiencies to lower the cost of materials. But the labor costs have proved much more expensive then they thought. Maybe train those bots to install it.

Will be interesting to see how the media treats Tesla after they receive those advertising dollars.

I highly doubt it’ll be that kind of advertising, nor will it be a significant dollar amount.

He said, ‘try a little and see how it goes’, right? He’s also said in the past when Tesla did decide to advertise it would be different than traditional and more artistic. But you’ve already got Tesla doing 30s run of the mill car commercials every 30mins on every major network. 🙄

This isn’t some moral victory for those who’ve been screaming advertise for years. Tesla was always going to do some at some point. Doing so during an economical upheaval doesn’t seem special or odd. And honestly , you (general) can thank his purchase of The Blue Bird for bringing advertising more to the forefront of his mind, all the while you (general) cursed him for it.

Nawh, that's what air-suspension and adjustable ride height give you. Best part will be if FSD automatically raises the ride height based on what it sees coming (then lowers it again for the highway). ;)

Cheers!
While true, part of me still hopes that the rear butt is part removable for offroading

Front still okish as you said

Last edited:
I think it's pretty safe to say that this is the anticipated Model 3 Refresh "Project Highland". Silhouette is definitely similar to a Model 3 and too long / low for a compact (which I'd guess is the 2nd big new product -> Starting in Mexico)

Agreed, except that Elon said that "they're building" implying the 2 new products are currently in pre- or early-production.

This can only be Project Highland and Cybertruck. The amazing part is the "5 Million Units per year". Does that break down to around 4M/yr "Highland 3" cars and 1M/yr Cybertrucks?

So the Gen 3 vehicle to be produced at Giga Monterrey, Mexico must be planned for >5M/yr? Gobsmacked. :D

Cheers!

Tried to get a feeling for what internet thought about the optimus video. No posts on reddit yet. But the youtube comments are markedly more positive than the previous videos. It used to be 90% "it sucks" "boston dynamics is so much better" "it's a joke" etc. Now it's more "wow" "so much progress" "it celebrated" etc. Check out the comments here...
Referencing comments from a Tesla video on the Tesla YouTube channel is going to introduce quite a boatload of bias.

Last edited:
Based on Elon's prediction (that uploading FSD software to millions of Tesla vehicles will realize ~5x in asset appreciation, possibly by end of year or next), is it fairly safe to assume we won't need HW4 to be driverless? That's my take connecting the dots.
Elon and Tesla have literally asserted this multiple times, most recently (as I recall) in the Q4 earnings call: HW3 gets you to Level 5 while exceeding human safety levels. HW4 gets you there too, but with an even higher degree of safety.

I highly doubt it’ll be that kind of advertising, nor will it be a significant dollar amount.

He said, ‘try a little and see how it goes’, right? He’s also said in the past when Tesla did decide to advertise it would be different than traditional and more artistic. But you’ve already got Tesla doing 30s run of the mill car commercials every 30mins on every major network. 🙄

This isn’t some moral victory for those who’ve been screaming advertise for years. Tesla was always going to do some at some point. Doing so during an economical upheaval doesn’t seem special or odd. And honestly , you (general) can thank his purchase of The Blue Bird for bringing advertising more to the forefront of his mind, all the while you (general) cursed him for it.
probably highest ROI is going to be showing some key word based ads for those searching for things like a CR-V, RAV4, etc. A lot of these ppl may simply be blind to the Model Y value proposition. Ironically, Y is selling very well in the US. If anything the 3 may need more demand but probably highlsand is a decently big demand driver i think.

May be we will see some Y ads both in Europe and US primarily of the adwords type or the billboards style. Traditionally very cheap to execute with really high ROI.

Rather than the standard car commercials, I'd really like to see Tesla generate infomercials that educate people on a broad set of topics ranging from the various features of the cars to all the details and benefits that transitioning to renewables will bring.

All done in an artistic and fun way that leaves an impression without selling anything other than the facts about our bright future.

Presented in layman's terms how these things will matter to any given individual, whether it be about Cybertruck, Optimus, Mars, or whatever. Just present things in such a way that folks can most easily come away feeling better about where mankind is headed.

Unless of course, Terminator gets sent back in time to prevent Tesla from doing so. 🤷‍♂️

The two new products, selling 5 million/yr best case, represents a quarter of their entire production when they're at 20million/yr.

I think the Model Y is more than half of Tesla's current production - 57% am I right? Not sure where I saw that.

Anyhow I believe that the cheaper car could end up being a lot more than one quarter of Tesla's entire yearly production, simply due to its affordability and many more people being interested in buying it.

I think the cheaper car(s) will be built at Giga Mexico (which they said has a capacity of 2 million/yr) and also some new factory in India - plus potentially some new factory capacity in China or South Korea. Maybe it will be built everywhere - Giga Berlin as well. There are all sorts of countries around the world that would enjoy a smaller car. Definitely enough capacity to make 5+ million/yr.

I'm not sure he fully appreciates that "we" includes retail shareholders like us. That seems pretty reckless for a CEO to be so cavalier about something he is supposed to have a fiduciary duty.
Yes, he does. He just don't give a F. He just cares about his mission and being to express his own views and emotions. Years ago he said he wouldn't forget the early buyers who helped the company survive the early years. He never did anything to show that appreciation. To the contrary, Tesla nerfed the batteries of early Model S's specifically and had to settle a lawsuit over it. He could have given us new batteries or some type of monetary credit but nope.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk discusses the implications of A.I. on his children's future in the workforce
His initial silence on this answer put me on the edge of my seat! What do you tell millions of kids searching for a career path, right? SAY SOMETHING I thought. Like he said, "Hard question." I don't think I have this figured out for myself even.

I'm not sure he fully appreciates that "we" includes retail shareholders like us. That seems pretty reckless for a CEO to be so cavalier about something he is supposed to have a fiduciary duty.

So much Q... where to start... no, let me sum up.

You think Elon speaks randomly, without purpose? Everything is planned, Nothing is reckless. Do not mistake Passion for Recklessness. And the SEC and the Government have NO PLACE trying to preempt or abridge Elon's right to speak when, where, and how he sees fit. He NEEDS to be able to do that BECAUSE he has fiduciary duties.

Maybe try to sip less of the Q-laid?