Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aside from the price cuts there are macro things happening, expectations of a 25 bps hike next Fed meeting increased significantly after the jobs report on Friday and was not yet processed by equity markets since they were closed

Also have fresh news of Apple reporting a 40% decline in PC demand globally and TSMC revenue dropping for the first time in four years
You can see this by the recent prices of PCs and components. Pretty soon they will almost giving them away.

You can see this by the recent prices of PCs and components. Pretty soon they will almost giving them away.
You are already seeing this with Monitors, i can't remember a time where there have been so many deep discounted monitor deals posted on a daily basis. PC's/Laptops are sure to follow suit real soon.

Still wish I could make the car talk back to me in a female voice with a British accent.
Surprised it doesn't! My Android phone responds to me in a female Aussie voice and I love it! All you folks down under and over the Atlantic, do your Teslas talk with you in your native accent or generic American? What about the Canadians eh?

As an intensive Masters watcher, I was shocked at the level of Mercedes EQ advertising. Given meager volumes, they must be assuming massive spillover effects and attempting to delay MB owners jumping to Tesla et al.
semi-exactly! As I have stated, even though the OEM's aren't able to sell EV's in any real numbers they are building confidence in the consumers by advertising now.
My Best example is that people will go in to buy an EV and one will ask the other how long has "OEM" been producing EVs? And the other consumer will say, "Well for a long time, I remember seeing ads in a Super Bowl that Tom Brady was Playing."
And another "cute" strategy is Hummer producing 2 vehicles in a recent time span. That will keep the lie truthful when the salesman states" Yep, the Hummer has been consistently produced without interruption for the last X years."

Surprised it doesn't! My Android phone responds to me in a female Aussie voice and I love it! All you folks down under and over the Atlantic, do your Teslas talk with you in your native accent or generic American? What about the Canadians eh?
I’m able to request different English accents for my iPhone (I have a thing for female British accents, ‘nuff said).

I’m a Canuck in Ontario, my car responds to me in a generic American female accent.

Still wish I could make the car talk back to me in a female voice with a British accent.
It bugs me we have to press a button to talk to our car. Don't need to do that with Siri or Alexa. Why do we even bother naming our cars?

And yes, if we could select Kelly Lebrock voice, that would be a nice bonus.

Aside from the price cuts there are macro things happening, expectations of a 25 bps hike next Fed meeting increased significantly after the jobs report on Friday and was not yet processed by equity markets since they were closed

Also have fresh news of Apple reporting a 40% decline in PC demand globally and TSMC revenue dropping for the first time in four years
You called it:

This is an interesting rivian thread. Couple of takeaways I thought were relevant:

1. As Rivian charging stations are opened up to other cars, they expect to recover 80% of the cost from federal grants
2. While trucks are popular in the US, they argue that traditional trucks are too cramped and a spacious EV truck might attract SUV buyers. The EV truck may likely be more popular than the traditional truck.

Of course, both these points are applicable to Tesla. I would have been in the second category if only the cybertruck would seat 6. Unfortunately, that's not happening.

Last edited:
This is an interesting rivian thread. Couple of takeaways I thought that were relevant:

1. As Rivian charging stations are opened up to other cars, they expect to recover 80% of the cost from federal grants
2. While trucks are popular in the US, they argue that traditional trucks are too cramped and a spacious EV truck might attract SUV buyers. The EV truck may likely be more popular than the traditional truck.

Of course, both these points are applicable to Tesla. I would have been in the second category if only the cybertruck would seat 6. Unfortunately, that's not happening.

Yeah, sounds like the CFO calculated how much run way they have with current cash and then pinned an arbitrary date to be gross margin positive.

Their 2023 guide of -4.3 BILLION ebitda is only 0.2billion dollars less than their 2022 guide of -4.5 billion dollars ebitda. But hey maybe in just 2 Qs time in 2024 they will turn everything around because 2023 doesn't provide any improvements over 2022 according to their own projections when they made them.

If the allegations are true Tesla could or has, figured out who shared those videos. Only certain people had access, and apps like Slack are monitored and I assume conversations are saved forever.
Maybe. Maybe not. There may have been hundreds or thousands of people with access. All those who were doing data labeling by hand. Unless someone told a manager or higher up it was happening, who’d know except for the handful of people doing it amongst themselves - many it seems per the article no longer work for Tesla.

It wouldn’t be a shock to find out that nobody with any significant authority knew it was happening. Crap goes on at companies all the time that nobody in management knows about. Or worse that a manager does know about, is involved with, and hides.

I think it's extremely likely that Optimus will be successful. It doesn't really need much capability at this point. Hobbyists and researchers around the world would love to get their hands on an Optimus and try their hand at training it. I think Tesla needs to start mass producing them ASAP. Then let a thousand flowers bloom. Developers will find useful tasks for the bot to do.

All it needs is one "killer app" and the demand will be insatiable.
...and Tesla will certainly make it so!

• Funny
Reactions: oldTAVguy
Not sure what Tesla uses (voices from cars are so distracting that I turn them off), but many shows and movies use people with English Canadian accents because it's neutral.

This is an interesting rivian thread. Couple of takeaways I thought were relevant:

Yes, that is the NEVI funding, of which none has been made available yet and it can't be had for equipment already installed. You would have to submit a proposal in response to each state/territory RFP, and get selected as a winner for a future install/upgrade. The first of that money appears that it will be allocated late this summer.

If I recall correctly, the Rivian sites, as most of them have been built them so far, would not qualify for NEVI funding. (6-stalls with a ~500kW utility supply, so only ~83kW/stall and NEVI requires 150kW/stall.) Of course, they can change that going forward and get a ~1000kW transformer, if enough utility supply is available, installed so they meet the requirements. (Assuming the rest of the equipment/site meet the requirements.

Edit: And the stated goal of the Rivian Network is almost the opposite of what NEVI is doing. NEVI requires the sites to be every ~50 miles on pre-identified major highways. The Rivian Adventure Network is intended to be more off of the main highways. (Though I suppose they could their mind and plan to make it a primary highway network as well.)

In any case, it seems unlikely that any one provider would get chosen for all, or even most, of the NEVI funding. (Applying for 52 different RFPs, each with different requirements.)

Last edited: