Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found out why Tesla is down and GM is up today:

1681136216438.png

There won’t be an Optimus competitor for at least five years. No one else is building a mass manufactured robot, using optimized in-house actuators, and knows batteries and vision systems as well as Tesla.

Note that, in this case, Tesla is attacking a green field opportunity. There are no entrenched competitors. On the other hand, it is not a slam dunk that Optimus will be a successful product. All depends on the price, specs, how good the AI is, and performance capabilities. I refer you to Tesla solar roof for an example of a product that didn’t live up to expectations. I personally think Tesla can pull off Optimus as a great product, but it isn’t a given.

I think it's extremely likely that Optimus will be successful. It doesn't really need much capability at this point. Hobbyists and researchers around the world would love to get their hands on an Optimus and try their hand at training it. I think Tesla needs to start mass producing them ASAP. Then let a thousand flowers bloom. Developers will find useful tasks for the bot to do.

All it needs is one "killer app" and the demand will be insatiable.

This may be bigger than HUGE...

Chaos in Dealership land?
Probably not. CapOne focussed on smallish family owned dealers. Those have been shrinking rapidly as mega dealers and public companies now dominate auto retailing in the US. They have been steadily losing share anyway. Lately floor planning has been rapidly changing with higher technology replacing much of traditional floor plan procedures. CapOne has not been famed in that respect. As share rises for large dealers they have many more efficient and cheap floor planning available. Anyway, as Automotive News says:

There is much more to say about this, but our bottom line is this: Tesla has nothing at all to do with this issue, because they have no dealers. Tesla's advantage rises even further now due to the famed short cash conversion cycle. As interest rates rise and funding becomes tighter the Tesla advantage grows. The only downside for Tesla will be in increased interest rates for Tesla buyers, ameliorated by reduced prices.

Last edited:
I think it's extremely likely that Optimus will be successful. It doesn't really need much capability at this point. Hobbyists and researchers around the world would love to get their hands on an Optimus and try their hand at training it. I think Tesla needs to start mass producing them ASAP. Then let a thousand flowers bloom. Developers will find useful tasks for the bot to do.

All it needs is one "killer app" and the demand will be insatiable.
I think you are being overly optimistic on how hard the challenges of hardware, software and price will be. Remember that the number of affordable, useful mass market robots being sold now is zero. And like everything Tesla does, they will walk before they run. My guess is we might see initial Optimus production towards the end of 2024.

I don't think the likes of OpenAI are real optimus competitors. In my experience of silicon valley coder types, they are VERY software focused. The idea that the software may actually run on an actual physical piece of kit in meatspace is just alien to them. The overwhelming majority of software engineers in the valley have never done any manual work of any kind, at any point. They are not the sort of people who ware going to leap into working all-day-long with engineers and hardware types.

I think a much more likely competitor would be an existing robotics company. ABB or KUKA or whoever it is who owns Boston Dynamics this week. In general, people seem to get overexcited by software tricks, and underestimate the difficulty of stuff like getting a robot to walk, or lift something, or throw something.

I wouldn't be surprised to see OpenAI, Micrsoft,Google, to go the 'AI-directed, human-in-the-loop' direction instead, where AI, maybe using Augmented reality, basically uses minimum wage humans as meat-puppets to carry out tasks. Like amazon's mechanical turk, but on steroids.
Optimus is a hardware/software integrated product with some key components that are already manufactured or released at scale with the HW4/FSD platform. None of the companies that you mention manufacture or release at scale, except Hyundai, which owns Boston Dynamics this week.

You should judge Hyundai's products to determine whether the company has a fighting chance. I do not know much about Hyundai, although have heard vaguely good things. But I am guessing that they don't have a fighting chance, given that they wasted money on buying Boston Dynamics. I believe that they are more or less like other legacy OEMs in that they basically put together parts that others have made and don't make much themselves.

Rather, you should look exactly at Silicon Valley for potential competitors. Apple produces custom AI silicon at scale. It's hardware and coding chops are top notch at scale that is even superior to Tesla's. If Apple is not up to the task because an old dog cannot learn new tricks, others in Silicon Valley who have interacted with Apple can use their playbook.

Another dark horse is Samsung. Samsung produces hardware at scale, including some that goes into HW4/FSD. I don't know their custom AI silicon efforts, but gather that they could catch up with a concerted effort. After all, they are one of the two top silicon fab companies.

LG is another dark horse that you should consider.

I think you are being overly optimistic on how hard the challenges of hardware, software and price will be. Remember that the number of affordable, useful mass market robots being sold now is zero. And like everything Tesla does, they will walk before they run. My guess is we might see initial Optimus production towards the end of 2024.
<throws penalty flag>

There's a company that sells two million useful robots a year.

I don't know how this lawsuit proceeds. How do they establish who has standing? The photos and videos were anonymized before they were shared internally. You have some ex-employee vague recollections of details, but not nearly enough to determine who is eligible to be in the class action or who suffered what damages.
I was thinking this is where discovery would come into play, but you have to have a case in order to do discovery. Without an identifiable subject it’s pretty hard to establish a case.

Now I’m picturing a legal team posting adverts looking for people who have walked naked or had sex near their Tesla while it was in sentry mode and who had agreed to all the data sharing.

Even then it’s a windy road to find the data and tie it back to a specific individual.

The smoking gun isn’t missing, they don’t even have a victim on the floor.

Last edited:
So Tesla gets dinged and questioned for putting more emphasis and cells towards a product that is exponentially easier to manufacture than cars, will have higher margins on (especially operating margins), a faster ramp up than Cybertruck or the Compact Car, and has a 2+ year backlog order that is a commercial production...not a consumer product, in the renewable energy space that has at least a 10 year runway of hyper growth ahead of itself.

Leave to Adam Jonas to bring in this thought process and amazing logic. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Rather, you should look exactly at Silicon Valley for potential competitors. Apple produces custom AI silicon at scale. It's hardware and coding chops are top notch at scale that is even superior to Tesla's. If Apple is not up to the task because an old dog cannot learn new tricks, others in Silicon Valley who have interacted with Apple can use their playbook.
My information may be outdated, but AFAIK Apple don't *make* anything. They design great hardware, and then pay people in China or Taiwan to make it. I think this is a key difference between Apple and Tesla.
Tesla are always looking to bring manufacturing in-house, even batteries. The mindset of Tim Cook has always been to outsource the 'messy' manufacturing business to someone else.

Apple may come out with an amazing humanoid robot eventually, but hey seem stuck in decision paralysis (whats been new since the watch?) and they are not focused on tight integration between software and hardware for interacting in the real world in the same way Tesla are. Apple make consumer electronics that is used in the home or on the body. The fact that they have wasted billions, and a decade trying and failing to make a car shows the gulf between them, and real-world engineering challenges.

Still.. Hyundais market cap is $32bn. Maybe Apple can just buy them and get into cars AND robotics in a single acquisition?

Yeah but Tesla has no idea who "they" are. And the reporter wouldn't give up that information unless sued.

If the allegations are true Tesla could or has, figured out who shared those videos. Only certain people had access, and apps like Slack are monitored and I assume conversations are saved forever.