Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ref. @Tommy O (I hate it when forced to come out of retirement...)

But - he spends so much time with @unk45 that perhaps he's becoming brasilianised:

View attachment 926440
Funny. Many people, including Brasilians, have never heard of much less been to Uauá, BA but have been to Wawa, PA and have been to at least one Wawa to charge their Tesla. That might go for Canadians too, the people who brought Light, Bondes and large commercial real estate to Brasil.

Last edited:
Avoiding stuff like high-traffic routes and highway speeds are clearly strategies for mitigating risk while assuming liability for the driving task, FSD gives no Fs because liability remains with a human behind the wheel who needs to be ready to take over at all times.

We can compare them when Tesla takes liability for literally any aspect of the DDT, until then they’re really two different things.

If you want to compare chemistries like that, you have to isolate all other variable
True, so lets look at any chemistry and the reasons that discharge rates are higher than charge rates. Certainly it's beneficial to keep internal heating within an acceptable range but the limitation in charge rates seems to be more tied to the diffusion rates of the anode than internal resistance of the tab structure.

Avoiding stuff like high-traffic routes and highway speeds are clearly strategies for mitigating risk while assuming liability for the driving task, FSD gives no Fs because liability remains with a human behind the wheel who needs to be ready to take over at all times.

We can compare them when Tesla takes liability for literally any aspect of the DDT, until then they’re really two different things.
I've been rerouted for major accidents and road closures (floods). It's saved me a couple of hours a few times. And it does pick different routes going from my house to a frequent destination, so I believe that it does check for traffic. I set my "savings" time to ten minutes rather than the default five.

True, so lets look at any chemistry and the reasons that discharge rates are higher than charge rates. Certainly it's beneficial to keep internal heating within an acceptable range but the limitation in charge rates seems to be more tied to the diffusion rates of the anode than internal resistance of the tab structure.

Unfortunately diving into that is beyond what I can confidently say, but on a physics stand point there is a few reasons

On LFP, you have a lower voltage and flatter voltage curve, so less potential (literally, voltage difference) for un wanted side reactions like depositing lithium metal

For the nano Silicon wires, it's two mechanisms, one since there is individual nano scale wires, there aren't a single unity, so they can expand, contract and move around without damage, and also, you have more exposed surface area and pathways for the Lithium to diffuse into

Tesla way of emulating the nano wires is the polymeric coating that will bind the particles but still allows for movement without cracking on the matrix

With that they might to have a way higher Silicon loading that most large scale comercial cells at this moment, since you really have to go easy on the Silicon percentage since it expands a lot when lithium intercalates into it, and too much without nano wires, polymeric coating or some other mechanism will results in accelerated cell degradation

This video from Jordan is really good in explaining how the overall cell works and you can join it with the above to see how each point would help. And also recommend most of his other videos since he goes way deeper, but mostly here probably watched already

I've been rerouted for major accidents and road closures (floods). It's saved me a couple of hours a few times. And it does pick different routes going from my house to a frequent destination, so I believe that it does check for traffic. I set my "savings" time to ten minutes rather than the default five.
That's smart routing for time savings! Might even be avoiding accidents and such too, I'm not sure what real-time traffic data it sources but know there are accident reporting and re-routing features in some of them

Reactions: oldTAVguy
Tesla’s growth is still firing on all cylinders (pardon the pun). I count at least four major greenfield projects going on.
1. GigaMexico
2. Tx Lithium refinery
3. GigaNevada Semi and battery factory
4. Shanghai MP factory.

Tells me Tesla expects to generate copious amounts of cash flow this year and next.
Sounds like anyone with dry powder should spend it quickly...
Lots of positive developments in the last couple of weeks...
Could be a nice bump coming soon.
Or I could just be hungover and my brain is off duty

Last edited:
I agree...but
I hate waiting.gif

That's smart routing for time savings! Might even be avoiding accidents and such too, I'm not sure what real-time traffic data it sources but know there are accident reporting and re-routing features in some of them
AFAIK, it uses Google for this. But I'm pretty sure you need the connectivity subscription for it to be available.

Don't forget that WS doesn't see past the last EPS read and daily news FUD... so "bump coming soon" might be optimistic, but for sure Tesla is damn good shape and well positioned, regardless of the current noise

Great, more $$ wasted by Tesla on empty parking lots and gigantic mud pits 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

Last edited:
GPT4 said transformers are better discriminators than diffusion models to predict stuff. then I asked why the reverse could be true. This sounds reasonable to me, and give the state of the art on diffusion algos, this doesnt seem too hard.

Me:
i have heard recently that diffusion models are more compute efficient than transformer models for discriminative problems. The specific example was when there is a pedestrian in a crosswalk, trying to figure which way the pedestrian is oriented, and the direction in which they may walk, is easier to process with diffusion than transformer models. Can you hypothesize how this could be?

GPT4:
It's interesting to consider that diffusion models could be more compute-efficient for certain discriminative problems than transformer models. In the example you provided, the task is to determine the orientation and possible walking direction of a pedestrian in a crosswalk. We can hypothesize a few reasons why diffusion models could be more efficient in such scenarios:

1. Simpler feature extraction: Diffusion models, when trained for denoising or inpainting tasks, can learn to extract relevant features from noisy or partially occluded images. In the case of determining the pedestrian's orientation, this could mean that the model can focus on crucial features, such as body shape or posture, with less computation compared to a transformer model that needs to process the entire scene with self-attention mechanisms.
  2. Local context: In some cases, the information needed to solve the task is available in a local context, such as the pedestrian's immediate surroundings. Diffusion models can capture this local context efficiently by modeling the noise addition and removal process, which may require less computation compared to a transformer model that needs to account for global context and long-range dependencies in the scene.
  3. Task-specific optimization: It is possible that diffusion models have been specifically optimized for the task of pedestrian orientation and walking direction estimation. This could involve training the model on a large dataset of pedestrian images, including various orientations and poses, which would enable the model to learn relevant features and patterns more efficiently.
  4. Lower complexity: In some cases, the complexity of transformer models could be a disadvantage. Transformers rely on self-attention mechanisms, which can require substantial compute resources, especially when dealing with high-resolution images. Diffusion models, on the other hand, might have a lower complexity, allowing them to process images more quickly and with less computation.
It's important to note that the performance and efficiency of these models can vary greatly depending on the specific problem, dataset, and model architecture. While diffusion models might have an advantage in the given example, transformers have shown great success in various discriminative tasks, such as object recognition and image segmentation. The choice between the two model types will depend on the specific problem and the available computational resources.