Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're an amazing contrarian indicator man lol. When TalkingMule starts hyping, you better sell your weekly calls ASAP! 😅

That pop and holding strength in TSLA quickly evaporated. TSLA well on it's way now on the daily outperform then market perform and end up with underperformance by the end of the day
I'm almost always wrong on the markets Fed reaction! But I think when the real rate action is taken in September, I'll be right. A .50 hike vs the consensus .75. And I think Powell kinda told us maybe we're only getting 1pt more, not 1.25 total.

In retrospect all we needed to do was look at the S&P. Up 13% or whatever, and a PE over 18. On an action-free Fed press conf, this calls for some cold water to be thrown on the markets. And that's what he did.

I'm loving the immediate impact on WTI and hopefully this pushes is the next leg down on oil futures. I'd like to see Brent back down to it's recent lows next week, then, move down further on any "bad" supply news such as an Iran deal.

The recipe is there for a soft landing by breaking the oil trade. Let's see if the markets allow it to unfold.

Just sharing the link for this video as it is quite bullish for Tesla insurance. It’s the same experience I had… About a 50% savings; and more sensible coverages.

I don’t watch all this guys videos; but it’s a pretty neat family that tears apart various high-tech electronics in reverse engineer and test certain things.

I met this guy and his son at the model X unveil. When I told my son about it he forced me to watch all their videos; that was our introduction to Tesla and it’s been quite a journey.

They have 2 million subs; so that’s quite the audience!

(Edited for grammar)

As an insurance professional, this is utterly astonishing. It shows why most people need some counsel on making risk management and financial/legal decisions. He has a current insurance agent who, correctly, advised him to take a commercial auto policy with $1m CSL liability limits. He has a 16 year old, and 4 Tesla's. Of course it's going to be expensive. He probably has (or should have) an umbrella on top of that.

He just cancelled that for a personal policy (coverage issues may arise, as the vehicles are titled to a LLC), while chopping coverage from $1,000,000 to 100/300/50. So now, if his 16 year old totaled out someone else's $100k SUV and sends them to the hospital, he's severely underinsured.

He just blithely said, "Ehh...yeah I think that lower limit is enough". This guy probably has a net worth of >$10m. Insanity.

Last edited:
As an insurance professional, this is utterly astonishing. It shows why most people need some counsel on making risk management and financial/legal decisions. He has a current insurance agent who, correctly, advised him to take a commercial auto policy with $1m CSL liability limits. He has a 16 year old, and 4 Tesla's. Of course it's going to be expensive. He probably has (or should have) an umbrella on top of that.

He just cancelled that for a personal policy (coverage issues may arise, as the vehicles are titled to a LLC), while chopping coverage from $1,000,000 to 100/300/100. So now, if his 16 year old totaled out someone else's $100k SUV and sends them to the hospital, he's severely underinsured.

He just blithely said, "Ehh...yeah I think that lower limit is enough". This guy probably has a net worth of >$10m. Insanity.
Cue the video with "My Son totaled my Tesla and this is what happened..." with whining all over the place and then a segway to his Patreon or a gofundme...

I mean .. i have never seen him - but usually this is how it plays out it modern social-media culture .. 😅

He just cancelled that for a personal policy (coverage issues may arise, as the vehicles are titled to a LLC), while chopping coverage from $1,000,000 to 100/300/100. So now, if his 16 year old totaled out someone else's $100k SUV and sends them to the hospital, he's severely underinsured.

Living in NJ I have always looked at auto insurance as a not if, but when. I have equal chances of getting hit by an uninsured person as I do hitting a McLaren. For that reason, I have always carried far above what I feel is adequate. As far as I am concerned, the only “insurance” I am paying for is my custom coverages and umbrella, the base policy is simply a necessary thing.

I’m surprised they would cover any non-Tesla without the telemetry data they are continuously getting on their cars.
My understanding is that in most states they are required to offer insurance to anyone that asks for it. So they have to provide it for non-Tesla vehicles. The rates might not be great, but even that tends to be regulated.

Last edited:
I’m surprised they would cover any non-Tesla without the telemetry data they are continuously getting on their cars.
Well, Tesla isn't allowed to use telemetry data here in California. Which is INSANE!

So our quote from Tesla Insurance is hundreds of dollars greater for the same coverage than we are currently paying.

At least in California, this appears to be some requirement for the Insurance industry. Further, it seems that CA has specifically banned the use of 'telemetry' / safety / driving scores in calculating insurance rates. YMMV.

Reactions: FlatSix911
At least in California, this appears to be some requirement for the Insurance industry. Further, it seems that CA has specifically banned the use of 'telemetry' / safety / driving scores in calculating insurance rates. YMMV.
Ah yes, the good ol it’s unfair for higher risk participants to pay more for the same coverage.

My understanding is that in most states they are required to offer insurance to anyone that asks for it. So they have to provide it for non-Tesla vehicles. The rates might not be great, but even that tends to be regulated.
Here in VA I was also able to get coverage for my Toyota in additional to my S... and total was 30-40% cheaper than my existing carrier. I've since reduced my premiums by 20% with my driving.

I like.... I just wish the app hadn't stopped displaying my driving score, which seems to be a common problem...

Insurance is not just the rates and coverage it is also the quality of the company when you need support. You will know this after several depositions and a room of lawyers. Anyone in CA that does not have at least 300/500 plus an umbrella with a good company is gambling. I won't change to Tesla insurance for this reason and it is 50% less.

Ah yes, the good ol it’s unfair for higher risk participants to pay more for the same coverage.
California’s stance on this is somewhat reasonably grounded in privacy concerns.

Too damned many companies tracking entirely too much about us, securing super private data poorly and whoring it out to the highest bidder. Do you really want Facebook & Google to know more about your daily life?

But in this case it’s misguided. I don’t think Tesla actually uploads anything other than your score so there is no actually private or sellable information in there. Well except perhaps the actual score itself.

See, I liked his honesty. I'm on Fidelity and they shut out my ability to buy as well.

At least Peteffy went on CNBC and said exactly what was being done and why. He said the system was protecting the hedge funds and market makers from going broke.

First(and last) time I'd heard such honesty from a brokerage.

🙄

I’m going to rob you and you’ll be fine with it because I was honest about it and told you to your face. 🤦

Subtle differences in your treatment by CNBC if you're a big advertiser.

Elon raises prices so he can put on his tuxedo and sip champagne in the grand ballroom.

Screenshot_20220826-115840_Google.jpg

Ford only raises prices(5 minutes after the IRAct passes) because they absolutely have to.

Screenshot_20220826-115910_CNBC.jpg

I'm almost always wrong on the markets Fed reaction! But I think when the real rate action is taken in September, I'll be right. A .50 hike vs the consensus .75. And I think Powell kinda told us maybe we're only getting 1pt more, not 1.25 total.

In retrospect all we needed to do was look at the S&P. Up 13% or whatever, and a PE over 18. On an action-free Fed press conf, this calls for some cold water to be thrown on the markets. And that's what he did.

I'm loving the immediate impact on WTI and hopefully this pushes is the next leg down on oil futures. I'd like to see Brent back down to it's recent lows next week, then, move down further on any "bad" supply news such as an Iran deal.

The recipe is there for a soft landing by breaking the oil trade. Let's see if the markets allow it to unfold.

Bruh, in March when tanks were rolling into Ukraine you said oil would be back down to $40 by may.

🙄

I’m going to rob you and you’ll be fine with it because I was honest about it and told you to your face. 🤦

These utterly unfair markets exist. To me his honesty increases consumer awareness and makes a clearer case for stiffer regulation.

He basically said the SEC is asleep at the wheel. Are all brokers scumbags? Yes. Of course. But there are degrees!

In many ways you could say IB is the Tesla of brokers. They say what lean product they're offering, and you can buy it or not. Nearly everyone else just lies 60-100% of the time to gain marketshare.

Reactions: Boomer19 and GOVA
See, I liked his honesty. I'm on Fidelity and they shut out my ability to buy as well.

At least Peteffy went on CNBC and said exactly what was being done and why. He said the system was protecting the hedge funds and market makers from going broke.

First(and last) time I'd heard such honesty from a brokerage.

The vast majority of Interactive Broker's income comes from institutional players, so of course they are going to protect them. This behavior happens across all industries when there is a conflict between different customer types. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Businesses aren't sustained by being "fair" to everyone, unless that is your marketing angle, and it surely isn't Interactive's.