Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides, there is this to consider...

change-1.png

HTH.

Change-Up.png

Last edited:
It was somewhen between 1957 and 1961 that either Popular Mechanix or Mechanix Illustrated had a single page blurb about future vehicles (like 60+ yrs ago) customer owned the frame and had a truck body, or a 2 seater coupe or convertible or family sedan they could swap (at home no less) hanging in the air to be dropped down, kind'a thin on how to's though as only pictures
That's odd. A Popular Mechanics Magazine prediction that has yet to come to fruition.
Back in 1957 they were saying flying cars were only ten years away.
And people complain about Elon time. Sheesh.
Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 3.45.57 PM.png

I consider it "more" nuanced ... like I said.

I'm not trying to beat up Andrej. He's an amazing character and I'm sure he works twice as hard as me and has a hundred extra IQ points.

I just don't think losing him is a bad thing. To me, the minute he said he was going on a sabbatical he was as good as gone. Do you think Elon was happy to have his head of AI on a walkabout for four months? We're delaying Bot for four months so Andrej can see the pyramids? Do you think that the guy with the top job working at the top AI company and for the best CEO in the world just quits so that he can catch up on his reading? Might as well have said he was taking time off to bond with his new pet lizard Horace. At a company like Tesla you better be on your game or you're gone. There are 120 people in his department - all remarkable and ambitious that want what he had. It's healthy for Tesla to have turnover every few years in these positions. If you don't, the rising stars with get impatient and go somewhere else where they have a chance to be the top guy with the big title and prestige. But, if you prefer, of course he "resigned," ... they're friends.

Re-read this post and replace the word "sabbatical" with "maternity leave"

Yikes!

10yr treasuries hitting a 4 month low. WTI down 5% to $94.

I would looooove to see two really tough US crude supply reports the next two Wednesdays and cap it off with a calm CPI report on the 10th.

We have a real good chance to put this inflation peak behind us the next couple weeks. July showed real world price declines, the numbers should reflect that next Wednesday.

Onward and upward!

Greatly appreciate the candor you show here, and the being open to learning. That's what can keep pulling us from the brink of groupthink. Well played, @SOULPEDL, well played...
That might have been me earlier, distinguishing between hybrid and plug-in hybrid. I often forget how being an engineer and decade+ hybrid owner made me deep dive into a lot of this stuff. Imagination was captured way back in the early aughts...
A plain vanilla (non-PHEV) hybrid, when well made, basically uses the electric motor + battery to keep the gas engine in its most efficient operating regime, allowing you to achieve far better mileage (like Prius) or only slightly better mileage (any GM "2-mode" hybrid, if you remember those). So vanilla "hybrid" has no plug and therefore no external energy source. Therefore by physics (aka First Principles) you could never exceed the thermodynamic efficiency limits of the ICE (roughly 40%) since there is no external power source beyond gasoline - you could just approach those limits much closer than the typical ICE implementation, and (importantly for me and I bet others here) you got a taste of short distances of all-electric operation. Man, I loved those little all-electric stretches. Definitely pushed me further towards EV, which admittedly was already a direction I was pointed in.
Even in the realm of straight hybrid, there is much gas to be saved. @TN Mtn Man I believe gave a synopsis of the Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive, which is actually a worthy work of art: subtle, rugged, and flexible in many modes of operation. Perhaps similar in some ways to the Octovalve, although I admit dearth of knowledge there.
Since we can't make enough EVs this year or next year, IMHO, throwing a little money to decent hybrids is not a prima facia waste as has been stated here. Devil in the details and all, but God is also in the details ;)
PHEV's opened up a whole new vista for us hybrid owners. [I was such a Prius nerd that I was upset Toyota didn't offer me an easy way to plug in my little 1 kWh vanilla (non-PHEV) hybrid battery so I could always start off with a full charge, minimizing my fuel use.] When they finally started offering PHEVs - larger batteries with EV range measured in miles (not feet) that came with a plug, you could suddenly talk about the "best of both worlds": all electric daily commutes, with overnight charging, and no range anxiety limitation for long trips. From this point of view, PHEV's are a great invention. They stay "great" as long as the price of batteries in a full EV is above a certain point. IMO we may or may not have reached that point today, depending on which EV and which PHEV you are talking about as well as your driving use case. These things matter a lot for cost comparison perspectives as well as GHG calculations.
I have seen a number of folks who love their Prius Primes (that's the PHEV version) and they point with pride to the high percentage of EV use they get out of them and point with pride to their efficient gas mileage when NOT in EV mode, and a number who love their RAV4 Prime (in Toyotaspeak Prime = PHEV version). Each offers a believable commute range (~30 miles Prius, ~50 miles Rav4, Prius Prime has increased EV range over the years) to entice the environmental crowd, and solid gas mileage (hybrid synergy drive improved over regular ICE) for long trips to entice the budget crowd.
And yes, absolutely : long term engineering wise, this "best of both worlds approach" - approaches - the "worst of all worlds" as the weight and complexity of carrying BOTH _interacting_ power trains brings down your efficiency and brings up your cost. But even that is not a total loss: for example, Prius gets by with a much smaller and lighter ICE than it would otherwise need, with it able to run in an Atkinson cycle (less power more efficiency) with the power difference made up by electrics. So there is indeed some engineering "Synergy" between the two systems that can be exploited by PHEVs.
But for some period and some uses (perhaps some right now), they make sense for people AND they are better than straight ICE. And IMO therefore in some cases they are worth incentivizing, again, until we have far more EV's and far more charging infrastructure.

(edited for typos)
Thanks for sharing those details of how people migrated from the early hybrids with tiny batteries, into larger/chargeable PHEVs, then some getting into a BEV once afforded. That makes a ton of sense - I'd be the same exact way, I just valued acceleration and sleek higher than most and so never went there.

I think the question for many is impact on the mission vs providing a discount to at least getting folks out of pure ICE to jump start their transition as you described above. I'd love to hear Elon chime in on this one, or maybe he shouldn't. 😯

Overall Nasdaq falling below 12,320 and recapturing it is a good sign. The May 6th and June 6th breakdowns both happened around this level... along with the April 29th support. So even just accumulating here is a positive. We might still have some macro fireworks, but this is the first time we've had consecutive closes in the Nasdaq above 12,300 since early May. First consecutive closes over 4100 for SP500 since early June. Vix rose again, but 3 straight closes under 23 and that hasn't happened since April.

Tesla had the massive spike in volume early (likely to get some coverage), but even in the afternoon the volume was still strong. Overall though, kinda just like today didn't happen. After the run over the last two weeks... a breather day with good volume and a share price that doesn't fall dramatically is a good sign.

If you have daddy issues, just note that even the richest person in the world can't please his father.

During the strange interview Monday with the Australia radio The Kyle and Jackie O Show, 76-year-old Errol Musk was asked if he was proud of Elon’s accomplishments.

Errol replied: “No. You know, we are a family that have been doing a lot of things for a long time, it’s not as if we suddenly started doing something.”

:rolleyes:

Damn, was hoping we'd finish over 900... oh well, the week is young (as I once was).

So I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but if the 3-1 stock split is approved Thursday as expected, how long do we anticipate before it's implemented?

Thanks and have a great week!

Seems like Jaguar I-Pace also having cars spontaneously ignite due to LG pouch cells.

I also question the sanity of this customer.

Wanting to protect his home and his animals living there, Salazar decided to see if he could get the I-Pace out, even though it was smoking. Surprisingly, he was able to get from his garage to the residential street in front of his house.

I called Jaguar roadside assistance to have them come get the car. When I ended the conversation with them there were more pops, but this time it was followed by fire from under the car. I then called 911

Getting into a car that is catching on fire to move it down the driveway is quite bold!

I love that he called Jaguar before calling 911 🤔

Seems like Jaguar I-Pace also having cars spontaneously ignite due to LG pouch cells.

I also question the sanity of this customer.

Getting into a car that is catching on fire to move it down the driveway is quite bold!

I love that he called Jaguar before calling 911 🤔
Remember that ship that caught fire while at sea hauling hundreds of Porsches?

I'm not saying it was a Porsche that caught fire and burned it to the waterline (and below)... but it wasn't carrying Chevy Bolts.

Thanks for sharing those details of how people migrated from the early hybrids with tiny batteries, into larger/chargeable PHEVs, then some getting into a BEV once afforded. That makes a ton of sense - I'd be the same exact way, I just valued acceleration and sleek higher than most and so never went there.

I think the question for many is impact on the mission vs providing a discount to at least getting folks out of pure ICE to jump start their transition as you described above. I'd love to hear Elon chime in on this one, or maybe he shouldn't. 😯
In the early days, there were no BEVs unless you made them yourself. The early EV clubs were basically for DIY EVs.