Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's definitely some movement. Troy has moved marked before. He got blasted here when it moved market to the downside.
The market definitely has used Troys number when the numbers were bad, the ignore them when they’re good. Pre market is flat and I expect none of the wall st media to pick this up……so enjoy the luxury of information and start buying when the market opens 😉

The market definitely has used Troys number when the numbers were bad, the ignore them when they’re good. Pre market is flat and I expect none of the wall st media to pick this up……so enjoy the luxury of information and start buying when the market opens 😉
Troy will update his estimate soon. He underestimated China no by 5k to 8k. Assuming his Europe number is correct bz he has a lot registration data in Europe. The wild card is NA. Troy assumes 10k more production in Fremont compared to last q. If that holds true, we see 300k quarterly production first time

Troy will update his estimate soon. He underestimated China no by 5k to 8k. Assuming his Europe number is correct bz he has a lot registration data in Europe. The wild card is NA. Troy assumes 10k more production in Fremont compared to last q. If that holds true, we see 300k quarterly production first time
300k quarter is definitely on the table now. Might be more like 295k, but it’s within reach

You wrote a lot of words here but didn't answer the central question:

Do you think Elon is right and mid/late 2022 or early 2023 will have a recession caused by the unwinding of the Corvid-era fiscal stimulus policies?
To be accurate Elon AFAIK did not ascribe causality. He, as we all, can ascribe any given outlook to disparate causes. A not very robust examination of macroeconomic issues makes a broad expectation of a recession in the US sometime in the next two years a >50% probability, and worse than a mild recession a possibility too. Elon was not specific. @Artful Dodger points quippy to past accuracy of such prognostications. We all should know by now that Mr. Musk does a really good job of evaluating contingencies and devising alternatives to cope for a wide variety of negative outcomes. That is prudent.

We all should also recognize that sound contingency plans are quite wise when uncertainty rises, as it is doing right now. Hence it is a real excellent idea to avoid speculative moves now when risks are very high. If we consider one thing only...extreme climate events are threatening all our expectations. How we do not know, but we do know the economic consequences can be and are being catastrophic. Then think of public health risks brought about by the same issue, ranging from viruses, bacteria, crop failures, animal husbandry crises, and so on.

To be candid, recession itself is not the central question. The central question is extreme climate events and closely related extreme political reactions. Think clearly and we'll all understand that most refugee crises are driven by food and shelter collapse in major parts fo the world, which in turn yields political collapse.

So, when Elon Musk made that single economic comment he was summarizing all the above and much else. His comments are quite closely related to the urgency he has to help make humans a multi-planetary species.

In sum, after one has lived through quite a few recessions one ends out judging when the risks are higher. When that appears to be the case there is one rule that supersedes all others: When risk rises cash is king!

During the last few months I have steadily reduced risk in my own investments. At the moment my only non-cash-yielding investment is TSLA. I will not liquidate any TSLA. For the first time in a couple fo decades I have no cross-border risk exposure, meaning I am 100% covered, so values can change but my obligations are now unaffected by that. This is not advice! I have neither license nor inclination to offer investment advice.

That said, I strongly advise reducing risk now. For the record, recessions almost always are directly signaled with failures of speculative entities: market markers, injudicious banks, derivatives traders, etc. When that begins to happen we will know that a recession has begun, and numbers will reveal that a few months later. It is always thus, since Tulip Mania and before. In our own arena look for Nikola, for one, and other serious speculations to 'suddenly' fail. Look at leverage.

For quick and easy reference have a quick look at the most recent one, from 2008. That coincided nicely with the .com mania.

Tesla knows what is coming. That is why Tesla is cash generating and has zero short term debt and little long term debt. After all lack of cash is what drives failure, for everyone and everything.

R u gonna play it? If we have 300k production, there will be positive reaction
If TSLA is down today or just barely up, I’ll be making some moves today. Then I’ll wait for Monday. If the stock doesn’t move much on a 300k print, you can definitely assume I’ll be making more moves.

300k out of just Fremont/Shanghai will put up some nutty earnings numbers

R u gonna play it? If we have 300k production, there will be positive reaction
Played 5 minutes before close yesterday, some ATM calls for 1/7, OTM calls for 1/14, partial lottery tickets on expectation of better P/D numbers creating a rolling hype into the earnings call, where Elon's going to discuss Tesla's product roadmap, aka all the things we don't yet know about Tesla, like Teslacoin, tPhone, etc.

Last edited:
Pre-market likes the China delivery numbers:

TSLA.2021-12-31.08-42.Hi.png

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Dec 31, 2021 08:48 AM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$1,076.49 +6.15 (+0.57%)
Pre-Market Volume243,757
Pre-Market High$1,078 (08:48:05 AM)
Pre-Market Low$1,060.5 (04:22:35 AM)

Cheers!

Next thing you know, they will charge for tires.

Of course parts and service should be profitable. Being a cost center sucks. Being a profit center means easier access to resources to expand and improve performance and staffing. This is a continuing and growing need for Tesla.

I joyfully pay for great service but my expectations are very high.

Tesla has room to be less wrong re service. Their SW is great. I now see there is an alert related to uneven tread wear on tires. Great feature.

Supply chain challenges with rising prices deserves some slack for service ops IMO.
Our views on profit behavior when in a monopoly position are different.
When a friend's Mazda 3 headlight cost $2000, he sold it and bought a Ford.
The monopoly position on spare parts makes customers sensitive to "profit" at their expense.
Lack of sensitivity to a monopoly position and monopolistic pricing causes customers to move to other brands and explain their abandonment of a brand they advocated for with facts easily shared with others - repair receipts.

["Charging for tires" shows that you may not understand monopoly power or the customer's sensitivity to having no choice. There are a lot of people like that... mandate people that say "do this or you lose a 20 year investment in a career and any way to earn income." So I understand your perspective well.]

Last edited by a moderator:
To be accurate Elon AFAIK did not ascribe causality. He, as we all, can ascribe any given outlook to disparate causes. A not very robust examination of macroeconomic issues makes a broad expectation of a recession in the US sometime in the next two years a >50% probability, and worse than a mild recession a possibility too. Elon was not specific. @Artful Dodger points quippy to past accuracy of such prognostications. We all should know by now that Mr. Musk does a really good job of evaluating contingencies and devising alternatives to cope for a wide variety of negative outcomes. That is prudent.

We all should also recognize that sound contingency plans are quite wise when uncertainty rises, as it is doing right now. Hence it is a real excellent idea to avoid speculative moves now when risks are very high. If we consider one thing only...extreme climate events are threatening all our expectations. How we do not know, but we do know the economic consequences can be and are being catastrophic. Then think of public health risks brought about by the same issue, ranging from viruses, bacteria, crop failures, animal husbandry crises, and so on.

To be candid, recession itself is not the central question. The central question is extreme climate events and closely related extreme political reactions. Think clearly and we'll all understand that most refugee crises are driven by food and shelter collapse in major parts fo the world, which in turn yields political collapse.

So, when Elon Musk made that single economic comment he was summarizing all the above and much else. His comments are quite closely related to the urgency he has to help make humans a multi-planetary species.

In sum, after one has lived through quite a few recessions one ends out judging when the risks are higher. When that appears to be the case there is one rule that supersedes all others: When risk rises cash is king!

During the last few months I have steadily reduced risk in my own investments. At the moment my only non-cash-yielding investment is TSLA. I will not liquidate any TSLA. For the first time in a couple fo decades I have no cross-border risk exposure, meaning I am 100% covered, so values can change but my obligations are now unaffected by that. This is not advice! I have neither license nor inclination to offer investment advice.

That said, I strongly advise reducing risk now. For the record, recessions almost always are directly signaled with failures of speculative entities: market markers, injudicious banks, derivatives traders, etc. When that begins to happen we will know that a recession has begun, and numbers will reveal that a few months later. It is always thus, since Tulip Mania and before. In our own arena look for Nikola, for one, and other serious speculations to 'suddenly' fail. Look at leverage.

For quick and easy reference have a quick look at the most recent one, from 2008. That coincided nicely with the .com mania.

Tesla knows what is coming. That is why Tesla is cash generating and has zero short term debt and little long term debt. After all lack of cash is what drives failure, for everyone and everything.
Yes, Elon predicted a recession before - and was wrong. However, he quite specifically prepared Tesla for one, which proved to be invaluable when COVID hit later on.

So whether he’s right or wrong this time around isn’t really the important part. What’s important are the steps he takes to protect Tesla, which will ensure that no matter what happens Tesla will be standing at the end stronger than ever.

Once again we have a contingent of people who can’t see the forest for the trees, are unable to discern the wheat from the chaff, and are getting caught up in the noise.

Yes, but I don't think cash is king. I think Tesla and the ability to [employ people to] deliver value to society is king.

My cash to TSLA positions are an order of magnitude different. I have no plans to change that, less for financial reasons and more for "invest in people imperative" reasons. [That means not an advice].