Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently, Tesla has a $7500 per car price disadvantage compared to all EV makers except GM (which currently is not producing any EVs). With that disadvantage, Tesla has an 80% market share of EV's in the US. If the bill passes with the $4500 union made subsidy, Tesla will gain $3000 price advantage over their current situation. What direction should their market share go if their prices are $3000 better than they are now relative to the other US automakers (other than GM). They are ramping their US production faster in absolute numbers than all the other US OEMs. So it appears to me that Tesla will get the lion's share of the tax credit benefit.

In addition, the greater the sales of EV's in the US, the more the US OEMs will lose sales of their currently profitable ICE cars to EV's, which are unprofitable to manufacture except for Tesla. OEM's could raise their prices to make their EV's more profitable, but they will still be losing more money from lost ICE car sales than they gain from EV sales (since Tesla will be taking overall market share from them). Tesla could make the problem even harder for the US OEMs if they don't raise their prices and keep their 30% gross margins from increasing even faster than economy of scale would dictate. If they do that, then, OEM's would be in a real dilemma, that increasing EV sales for cars where there is a minimal or no profit are more than offset by loss of ICE car sales with higher profitability.

A week ago, I switched my 2019 3 for a 2021 3, (crazy used prices made it almost free).
I was really looking forward to having autopilot since I didn't have it on my 2019. What I did not expect is being way more excited playing with the Boombox toybox. I did a couple cool tricks to my family and friends, but where it really shined was for Halloween tonight. Scaring the kids on demand was awesome. The kids and the parents were really impressed.
I am amazed at how Tesla took a new regulation (low speed noise) and made it a super fun toy and huge marketing tool.

I've been a long time investor and been amazed many times, but never thought I would be amazed at what they can do with a speaker.

My favorites: Honey i'm home, K2000, ice cream truck, scary pumpkin.

Bullish 🎃🎃🎃

Friends don't let friends ride tubes. Please switch to tubeless. PM me if you need more incentive, I used to race, got 4th at Downieville one year! Downieville Classic Cross Country Race
That is a good finish in a tough race. Yes, every mountain bike I ride runs tubeless with Stan's, as they did a lot of work to make it exist. I use whatever valve stem (and tape) the rim manufacturer suggests.

I run a single speed on almost every trail in Dallas, if it is less than 2 hours of structured ride time, so it is pretty tame. The full suspension is for the 2.5 to 6 hours of structured ride time days, or days like today when I need safety margin. With the DH22 starting from 130 BPM you can run out from under any XC bike in bursts.

A lot like driving to get a safety score in a Tesla. Gap available when needed.

Speaking of TSLA, I think Elon has not shown all his cards. In other words, the other car companies think they are closer than they actually are.
Tesla is running at 130BPM but 170BPM 1000W sprints are on tap. That is just how it looks and feels.

Feels like there is a second gear that we have not seen. I don't hear panting. Tone is conversational... There is more in Tesla's tank.

Thinking back to your race days, Do you get some version of that feeling as well?

You can use Tesla's site to find hotels with destination charging in the U.S. at least. Of course there are hotels with other kinds of charging but no good way to find them AFAIK.
I am currently on a 6,000 mile road trip. In the first week I used Tesla's site to find a hotel with a destination charger in Liberal, Kansas to bridge the supercharger gap between Clayton, New Mexico and Wichita, Kansas.

Before I left on the trip I called the hotel to verify that they had a Tesla Destination charger. They said they had two. But when I arrived I found that it only charged at 12 amps! Yikes! They must have wired it to a 15 amp circuit. Luckily I found the local county fairgrounds, which had a bunch of 15-40 outlets. Close call.

That is a good finish in a tough race. Yes, every mountain bike I ride runs tubeless with Stan's, as they did a lot of work to make it exist. I use whatever valve stem (and tape) the rim manufacturer suggests.

I run a single speed on almost every trail in Dallas, if it is less than 2 hours of structured ride time, so it is pretty tame. The full suspension is for the 2.5 to 6 hours of structured ride time days, or days like today when I need safety margin. With the DH22 starting from 130 BPM you can run out from under any XC bike in bursts.

A lot like driving to get a safety score in a Tesla. Gap available when needed.

Speaking of TSLA, I think Elon has not shown all his cards. In other words, the other car companies think they are closer than they actually are.
Tesla is running at 130BPM but 170BPM 1000W sprints are on tap. That is just how it looks and feels.

Feels like there is a second gear that we have not seen. I don't hear panting. Tone is conversational... There is more in Tesla's tank.

Thinking back to your race days, Do you get some version of that feeling as well?
you ever read Pearls before Swine...re bicyclists..

Just wondering:p

• Funny
Reactions: Duffer and JustMe
I do not understand what subsidies you are talking about...
Are you referring to the new US tax credits proposed ?
Those are not benefits to the car manfacturer, but to the customer buying the car.

That hasn't really been the case though.

Tesla cut prices each time the tax credit got smaller (or when it went away) almost exactly in line with the credit loss.

(and many have argued the raises this year have at least in part reflected expectation of a new credit coming though there's certainly other reasons to point to as well).

GM is an even clearer case of your claim being untrue- though MSRP can obfuscate it.

Before the tax credit went away they charged an MSRP nobody would ever pay for a Bolt, but you got $7500 in tax credits, plus they gave you 2-3k in "dealer incentives"

During the period the tax credit was gone (and bolts were still for sale) the MSRP remained in place... but now they were giving out 10k in "dealer incentives"

Example reporting on this:

The net lost money came entirely out of GMs pocket (because nobody would otherwise buy the thing)... and when the credit comes back, it'll go entirely back into GMs pocket as they just dial back the "dealer incentives" by that much and let the taxpayers cover it instead.

Since the credits will even be applicable at point of sale this will be even more direct a case of the MFG literally pocketing the credits up front.

So especially for GM this sure as hell is a huge direct subsidy in practice.

As far as I know the Leaf factory in Tennessee is also non union. Will they have the same 4500 disadvantage as Tesla?

Everyone except GM (and Ford if they make any in the US at some point, or if Chrysler ever does) will miss out on that extra 4.5k

Another PT increase!

FDDwk9aXIAEgn46

BE CAREFUL! Schwab told me they only match up exact options on their "disallowed loss" display, but that is not what the tax law says, as far as I know.

To be compliant, 30 days either side of the loss sale you can't have bought the security or its options. This is what I am using to control. I had been expecting to have to sell Jan '22 1000 and Mar '22 1100 calls for about $400K loss, and was preparing to embargo my buys, but we know how that is looking after this week.
There is no reason to fear wash sales so long as they are not mixed across taxable and non-taxable accounts. All that it means is that the disallowed wash sale loss is rolled into the cost basis of whatever securities you bought that triggered the wash. So the only thing that can do is delay the realization of the loss. It does not take it away from you. That can only happen if the loss is in a taxable account but the bought position triggering the loss wash was in a non-taxable account. If you do that, then you will never be able to realize the loss. So just be careful to never do that.

Last edited:
Because trending searches mean the car is popular, not that people are worried that it might burn their house down...
And not that new models would get a search bump...

Edit 2: fixed search terms
Edit 3: I think they used the S or X term? Article compares Tesla Models also, and that table makes zero sense ...
View attachment 727843
View attachment 727844

maybe they can publish a study about how to search the interwebs

What are you talking about. GM has outstanding competency in certain areas.

Do you know of any company that is better at pulling the wool over people's eyes? 🤫

I have to wonder is there no comeback on Mary for the BS she has said this quarter? I mean its genuine official statements from the CEO of GM and their actual hard facts plan says exactly the opposite. isnt this misleading info?

A week ago, I switched my 2019 3 for a 2021 3, (crazy used prices made it almost free).
I was really looking forward to having autopilot since I didn't have it on my 2019. What I did not expect is being way more excited playing with the Boombox toybox. I did a couple cool tricks to my family and friends, but where it really shined was for Halloween tonight. Scaring the kids on demand was awesome. The kids and the parents were really impressed.
I am amazed at how Tesla took a new regulation (low speed noise) and made it a super fun toy and huge marketing tool.

I've been a long time investor and been amazed many times, but never thought I would be amazed at what they can do with a speaker.

My favorites: Honey i'm home, K2000, ice cream truck, scary pumpkin.

Bullish 🎃🎃🎃
Haven't got the remote Sentry viewing update yet, but I thought a robotic voice from the car saying "Target acquired!" might get the attention of anyone who might get too close. "Raise your hands in the air and back away slowly"

One really can't rely on ones tax accountant either, they can easily get stuff wrong. Mine has given us horrible advice. I would kind of prefer to have a financial advisor/CPA all rolled together at this point.

I guess it should go without saying you need a good tax accountant, meaning they should have a lot of experience with investment taxes. Anyone can make an error but someone who does it day in and day out is going to have a much lower error rate than someone who does it once a year.

Reactions: CorneliusXX