Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Long time lurker from continental Europe, trader (loto calls, LEAPs) and investor (HODL).

OT: Teslaquila apparently available right now in Europe!

Cheers
Thanks!

150 EU vs 250 USD here in USA - why such a huge diff? Am ordering via a friend just now ;D

1617456171932.png

Last edited:
There are lots of rumors, but nothing concrete from any of the Quad Squad members (drone flyers) sources.

• SpaceX are known to be planning a StarLink terminal factory in the Austin area.
  • SpaceX are also likely to move their HQ function to Texas, but probably Starbase (Boca Chica).
  • Tesla HQ is moving to Austin and rumors are that it will be across the highway.
  • Tesla is opening a design center in the Austin area, possibly here.
  • Rumors are also of a test track
  • Rumors of housing across the toll road.
  • Martin Marietta are also supposed to vacate their current concrete plant, rumor is that they will move to Tesla owned land across the highway (but possibly next to the asphalt plant).
Edit: forgot about:
  • Semi factory
  • Car park and logistics area (with The Boring Company tunnel(s) connecting the two halves)
  • The Boring Company HQ
  • Neuralink is rumored to be moving there too.

My pure speculation (guided by some public hints Elon has given) is that after the current 10 year CEO contract at Tesla is fulfilled by Elon, he will consolidate his holdings as one corporate entity, X , holding both public and private corporate entities.

By that time he will own 25 to 30 percent of Tesla. Having a top management team in "X" guide Tesla, SpaceX, Boring Company, Neurolink, and Starlink is the only rational way I can think of for Elon to manage all these entities in a coherent, conflict free way going forward; as well as use some of the management talent across the whole group, Gwen Stockwell, Zack Kirkman, etc..

Having all the companies now begin to be headquartered near each other makes sense as to where the corporate "ice puck" may be a few years down the road.

Let's not forget about the Tesla / Toyota rumor. Now that nobody has denied it (and Toyota even 'declined to comment'), it's looking much more likely that it's true. I'm thinking it will be a robotaxi partnership - Toyota provides the cars, Tesla provides the FSD and they split the profits. I think this is how it will have to be - countries with major OEMs like Japan and S.Korea aren't just going to let Tesla waltz in with their robotaxis and take over transportation without a local partner.
That is the arrangement that seems most likely. If I want to dream really big it would be something like Tesla licensing out the entire 4680 cell manufacturing tech. That would accelerate the mission to a very high degree, help Toyota pull from the bottom of the pack, and rain down cash on us. Toyota probably isn't that bold though.

Reactions: gabeincal

The second Guardian story from yesterday mentioning Tesla. Another one that is not negative, perhaps the Guardian is coming round to view Tesla in a positive light.

But this illustrates the problem for VW.

118 factories and only one produces EVs. That is probably 110 factories too many if VW wants to compete with Tesla.

That is the arrangement that seems most likely. If I want to dream really big it would be something like Tesla licensing out the entire 4680 cell manufacturing tech. That would accelerate the mission to a very high degree, help Toyota pull from the bottom of the pack, and rain down cash on us. Toyota probably isn't that bold though.

Toyota doesn't need to licence 4680 tech; Panasonic has already announced plans to produce them, and has existing contracts with Toyota.

Toyota just needs to back up their greenwash PR with order volume sufficient to spur investment, and then carry through with their plans.

Toyota doesn't need to licence 4680 tech; Panasonic has already announced plans to produce them, and has existing contracts with Toyota.

Toyota just needs to back up their greenwash PR with order volume sufficient to spur investment, and then carry through with their plans.

I dunno. The article looks like Panasonic and Tesla. No doubt Toyota has battery contracts with Panasonic, but I doubt it includes "every type of battery that Panasonic might possibly produce".

It's not the same tech though right? Panasonic is making that form factor but those cells won't be nearly as efficient as the Tesla cells. Unless I'm missing something. My assumption is that Panasonic is making that size to make integration into the new battery/frame models more seamless. Tesla still has the better chemistry and design, and maybe manufacturing improvements?

Toyota has made so bold moves in antiquity but blundered in 2012 when they abruptly gave up on BEV as a concept. Their Panasonic relationship and shareholding might help disburse them of their starkly out-of-step approaches, coupled with the expensive Mirai experiment. Because the vaunted Toyota Production System can only deliver incremental approaches they've really stagnated since the 1997 spectacular success with Prius.

It is never wise to count Toyota out. Once they get out of their own way they can achieve superb advances, including with novel technologies. The only question is when they will do that, not whether they will. Because they are so devoted to production efficiency major innovations are difficult for them. The hybrid story proves they can move mountains when they decide to do so.

I dunno. The article looks like Panasonic and Tesla. No doubt Toyota has battery contracts with Panasonic, but I doubt it includes "every type of battery that Panasonic might possibly produce".
You will see what happens when Toyota decides to be really serious. New battery technology, including the Tesla 4680 technology, will be available to Toyota if they decide to go there. Whatever you do don't equate Toyota with laggards elsewhere, wherever they are.

Lol Bloomberg....at least pretend you're not selling headlines. Front page of the app today....

View attachment 650498
I was just going to post this. It's the major headline article today on Bloomberg's website, too.

One interesting takeaway was an infographic showing the number of charging stations from the various charging networks, from the Energy Department.
Also, the article notes Ford had to stop selling the $800 home charger for the Mach-E because "some weren't working properly."

Attachments

• Image 4-3-21 at 7.31 AM.jpg
    Image 4-3-21 at 7.31 AM.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 48

The second Guardian story from yesterday mentioning Tesla. Another one that is not negative, perhaps the Guardian is coming round to view Tesla in a positive light.

But this illustrates the problem for VW.

118 factories and only one produces EVs. That is probably 110 factories too many if VW wants to compete with Tesla.
Wait, 118 factories to move 8 million cars a year? Tesla can move half this number with 4 factories. Am I missing something?

I wonder if the thought of over ordering chips was even in Kirkhorns mind to resell at a profit to other makers. Tesla has been good with forecasting and aren't afraid to pull unorthodox maneuvers when the opportunities presents itself.

Since the chips are tiny, it would also be cheap insurance to just order and store some more of them as a buffer against supply fluctuations.

Same, except 99.9% 😬

[IMG alt="Sofie"]https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/data/avatars/m/141/141084.jpg?1616804231[/IMG]

Sofie

HODL: "I’d rather be apart of it, than watch” · From Florida

You and I are in the same boat. Any time I try and diversify, it does worse than TSLA and I instantly regret not just buying more TSLA, so I stopped trying. ;)

Weekend OT:

@Sofie - insert a space between "a" and "part" so it means what you intend! :)