Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For trading extended-hours with Etrade, you have to first select limit order price type, then choose extended hours in the duration menu.

Edit: Note that message indicates your limit order will probably become active when the market opens. If you're still trying to squeeze something in pre-market, make sure you don't enter the same order twice!
Thank you...that is what I did.
(I wonder if I have learned my lesson....HODL. Not because I made bad transaction choices, just because I still don't know how trading companies work and I don't want to every miss out on another 10% rise.)

OMGGGGGG BEST. COMPANY. EVER!!!! I brought my MS to the Service Center just now for squeaky brakes, and the lady said she'll upgrade my FSD hardware to 3.0 for free. Who else except Elon will make your car newer today than it was 4 years ago? To show my appreciation, I'm buying an additional 48 shares as my contribution to today's ATH. You're welcome.

It should also have been 1000 pairs of short shorts right then and there. Would love to see the lady's reaction to that. Either smiles or disgust.

An island.

I would sail by in a modest boat, saluting you ! :)
From a safe and respectful distance, off course, taking into account your stated desire for privacy and (and also various assumed primarily defensive capabilities)
(Assuming off course the location was known to me which might be ... a tad more optimistic than my price/sell target)

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
Big Thanks to @The Accountant. Their Jan 2020 post has helped me considerably, and repeatedly.

Given current events, I thought it was worth floating back to the top, in case it can be helpful for others too.

The Art of (not) Selling
I stumbled upon a very good blog post by Akre Capital (an asset management firm).
The post titled "The Art of (Not) Selling"

The Art of (Not) Selling - Akre Capital Management

For those of you familiar with @StealthP3D 's approach to investing, this article could have easily been written by him.
It is a short read and I highly recommend it.
Some key lines from the article:
  • The mistake, in virtually every instance, has been selling too soon.
  • our investment philosophy involves concentrating our capital in a small number of....growing and competitively advantaged businesses
  • This determination to hold on is a critically important...... At its core, it relates to the power of compounding. We believe these two ideas — (not) selling and compounding — are inextricably linked. Getting the first wrong makes the second impossible.
  • when selling because of valuation, it is often with the idea that there will be an opportunity down the road to buy back in at lower prices. In our experience, it seldom works out this way.

...I suspect that someday in the not too distant future we will see "Model 2's" rolling out of Berlin and Shanghai.
That naming convention seems very unlikely to me. Including past models, I think we'll see a progression more like:

Model S
Model 3
Model X
Model Y
Model B - lower cost sedan
Model I - sporty, smaller, cheaper hatchback
Model T - midsize pickup
Model C - camper in the mould of a VW
Model H - hydrofoil speedboat

Let me get this straight. The dieselgate settlement required VW to spend millions (billions?) on green technologies like the Electrify America charging infrastructure. Then they figured out that every dollar they spent on Powerpacks was one more dollar's worth of batteries that Tesla would not be putting into cars to compete with VW?

I mean, they have to spend the money on something so why not use it to siphon more batteries away from Tesla's vehicle production?

That naming convention seems very unlikely to me. Including past models, I think we'll see a progression more like:

Model S
Model 3
Model X
Model Y
Model B - lower cost sedan
Model I - sporty, smaller, cheaper hatchback
Model T - midsize pickup
Model C - camper in the mould of a VW
Model H - hydrofoil speedboat

you need an “A” in there ;)

I would sail by in a modest boat, saluting you ! :)
From a safe and respectful distance, off course, taking into account your stated desire for privacy and (and also various assumed primarily defensive capabilities)
(Assuming off course the location was known to me which might be ... a tad more optimistic than my price/sell target)

I don’t care what anyone else says, you’re no dummy.

OT:

Is there a way for me to flag or bookmark a post so that I can return to it in the future?
If you right click on the post number you can open just that post in a new window, then bookmark that window. That will retain the link to the post, even if the pages get moved around.

Last edited:
I tossed and turned last night, not because I have options contracts that are volatile but because buy and hold has worked so well my account is majorly overweight in TSLA.

I’m considering selling a small amount of shares, maybe 5%, just so I can sleep better. Will decide before end of trading. Feel free to chime in with suggestions.

I tossed and turned last night, not because I have options contracts that are volatile but because buy and hold has worked so well my account is majorly overweight in TSLA.

I’m considering selling a small amount of shares, maybe 5%, just so I can sleep better. Will decide before end of trading. Feel free to chime in with suggestions.

Good sleep at night > 5% of $TSLA shares

Unless $TSLA keeps going up every day :) j/k....i am sure a lot of TMC are in the same dilemma as you. Would that 5% really make a huge difference?

I'm planning on doing the same thing. Not to sleep better but, yeah, I'm so majorly over-weight in TSLA it's not even funny anymore. And I still will be after I sell off 10-15%. I've figured if TSLA doubles in the next year I'll have more than I could ever hope to spend anyway and, if it doesn't, it won't matter either.

But I'm not very good at pulling the trigger (waiting for better price to sell at). This reluctance to pull the trigger has served me incredibly well over the last 25 years! :)