Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take umbrage at you implying I'm a liar. If you're implying I'm trolling by such a statement then you clearly haven't paid any attention to my posts over the last 4 years.

I hardly think the current environment is ideal for car purchasing, do you? I'm certain the demand is there, but not convinced people have the appetite right now.

You were being serious? Ok, my bad. I thought you were dancing around a ‘demand’ issue in a joking manner so I couldn’t add another demand share to my pot.

So, no. I wasn’t calling you a liar. I was being 5000% sarcastic because I thought you were joking.

I now will go back to post a disagree, add another share to my pot and formally tell you you’re wrong: you’re wrong. Plenty of appetite for Tesla vehicles in this environment. Watch and see.

Adding: So you’re Tesla vehicle order today was what? A lack of appetite?

This is only one data point but my in-laws have a Volvo Dealership here in Washington State and new car sales have been booming for the last 10 days. A lot of pent-up demand. I'm guessing if they can sell Volvo's like hotcakes with social distancing in place, Tesla will have an even easier time of it.
Just this morning I bought a new (used) car, and heard the exact same thing re: pent up demand from the folks I was working with.

The buying would have dried up very quickly if it was algo's responding to a report or piece of news. This has been a gradual incline while decoupling from the macros. Having said that, if max pain on options is 800 and since volume is still really low, won't be hard to push this thing back down in the next hour

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
The demise of ICE vehicles is a double edged sword. As used vehicle prices plummet, and dealer incentives increase, this will take sales away from Tesla. I do think we are in a recession. I do think in the fall, things will worsen. Yes there will be demand for model Y, yet not as much demand as there would of been. It will be hard for people who absolutely need a new vehicle to drop big money on a Tesla where there will be lots of luxury vehicles to be had for really good deals, and filling up the gas tank is cheap.
Hmmm, I used to rationalize spending more on my bicycles by reasoning the money applied to multiple ‘pots’; not just entertainment but also health care and transportation (I commuted by bike in many years).

People will add health to the list of reasons to get an EV. No need to go to an icky gas station (people usually charge at home ). Also, the virus has presumably made the bio-weapon defense mode more appealing.

My guess is that it’ll be a wash for Tesla.

The buying would have dried up very quickly if it was algo's responding to a report or piece of news. This has been a gradual incline while decoupling from the macros. Having said that, if max pain on options is 800 and since volume is still really low, won't be hard to push this thing back down in the next hour
Spent most of the day ~ 807. The dip to 797 most likely was a mini bear raid. Started climbing around 2 ET which is exactly when the piece came out. This news is really no news to bulls. Algos buying is exactly the reason why it can be sustained.

If Tesla didn't have the orders and a healthy order rate, they wouldn't have pushed so hard to get Fremont back up and running. It would have been much more cost effective to continue to put workers on furlough/unpaid leave

Agreed. I would refer back to my post last week that summarized Deutsche Bank's note published on May 11th.This is what Tesla was relaying to investors:

The backlog for all models gives a strong pipeline regardless of the COVID environment. They also think the current pace of orders can support a full run rate at Fremont ASAP.

Agreed. I would refer back to my post last week that summarized Deutsche Bank's note published on May 11th.This is what Tesla was relaying to investors:

Agreed. For Tesla, I would assume the only equation that is important to them is "Are incoming orders equal to or higher than delayed/cancelled orders". They already had a backlog.....so as long as that order rate stays higher than cancellation rate, it's full steam ahead on production

Reactions: Eugene Ash
I find it unlikely that there aren't plans in place to support replacing the batteries in legacy vehicles with new ones, not for free of course, but in a long term robotaxi plan the batteries are the first to go.
We know the Model 3/Y battery packs aren't designed for easy swapping like the S/X so be careful when making assumptions.

Just a guess but I bet next gigafactory will be announced within 24 hours.

If buying volume increases dramatically the closer to end of trading today, it definitely could suggest some sort of announcement tomorrow morning. Wouldn't put money on it but who knows. The volume hasn't increased so much yet that makes me think something is up

• Informative
Reactions: HG Wells
You were being serious? Ok, my bad. I thought you were dancing around a ‘demand’ issue in a joking manner so I couldn’t add another demand share to my pot.

So, no. I wasn’t calling you a liar. I was being 5000% sarcastic because I thought you were joking.

I now will go back to post a disagree, add another share to my pot and formally tell you you’re wrong: you’re wrong. Plenty of appetite for Tesla vehicles in this environment. Watch and see.

Adding: So you’re Tesla vehicle order today was what? A lack of appetite?

All's well and good then, I hope I'm wrong.

I'd take delivery of a Model Y tomorrow, if I could, for the wife, but I need to wait until my Model X lease ends, which happily happens to be next September = nice timing for GF4 deliveries.

In any case, I decided to order now to lock-in the FSD pricing - not that FSD is allowed in Europe... Plus I've made so much money trading options that I owe Tesla something back :)