Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I say this as an investor and not a person that cares about the planet and "The Mission", but it will be a great day for Tesla when GM, Ford, and VW announce that their plans for electric vehicles have been pushed back 5 years due to debt issues.
Given the electric cars they've produced so far, how is that going to matter?

That is a pretty extensive list of changes at the Nevada Gigafactory to deal with COVID19. The whole article is basically a list of changes.

Seems like Tesla is much more prepared this time around. A good sign that they can have a constructive discussions with state governments. I imagine all of this will happen at Fremont too.

This stuff sounds pretty much like what my employer has done (also a manufacturer operating factories with 1000's of employees). Presumably they've also taken the step of keeping everybody that works out of that factory that can work from home, to continue working from home. Even if it's not strictly necessary, it keeps that many people out of the building, and makes it that much easier to follow the social distancing protocols for the people that must be in the factory to do their work.

I think this will be approximately the standard we'll see as manufacturing facilities reopen. We'll see how that evolves - there are plenty of production lines where a min 6' apart will mean that the line has to be run slower. And that assumes that the line CAN be run slower.

Reactions: sparcs
What I understood from a pretty convincing interview I saw with a professional trader was that in his experience that was not market manipulation, but a case of a bunch of limit sell orders being triggered at a popular target price (950-ish), which then caused a serious drop in SP, which then triggered cascading stop-loss sell orders.. The speed of the initial drop was according to him not something any MM could achieve all by themselves..

Such collective automated triggering can happen again of course.. so my remark was not in any way meant to be reassuring.. o_O

I don’t buy it

Apropos, how does one strike-through text or obtain other effects than the one offered in toolbar on top of the editor window? Is there a how-to article somewhere on the TMC site? thanks!
The "Plus in a box" on the top bar allows a couple of extra options, including strike-through.

TSLA + RACE> TM

upload_2020-4-17_16-43-19.png

In 2019

Tesla delivered 367,500 cars.

Ferrari sold 10,131 cars

Toyota sold 10,700,000 cars.

After-action Report: Fri, Apr 17, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

VWAP: $758.93
Volume: 13,177,983
Traded: $10,001,184,457.72 ($10.00 B)

Closing SP / VWAP: 99.32%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)​

FINRA Short/Total Volume = 58.2% (51st Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 49.2% (53rd Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)

Comment: "TSLA Pinned by Market Makers"

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-04-17.png

Last edited:
Cathie Wood's weekly review.

Brandlive

Main points:
1) Traditional auto industry is in a world of hurt. Expects mergers and bankruptcies.
2) Expects Hertz (and perhaps Avis) to go bankrupt. Used car prices tanking, so they can’t sell their old fleets.
3) Tesla is taking away market share. They have a "fortress balance sheet".
4) Genomics companies are severely underpriced.

Several of ARKG's stocks popped 15-20% during a day this week. One was involved in successful COVID-19 treatments in Israel.

Cathie Wood's weekly review.

Brandlive

Main points:
1) Traditional auto industry is in a world of hurt. Expects mergers and bankruptcies.
2) Expects Hertz (and perhaps Avis) to go bankrupt. Used car prices tanking, so they can’t sell their old fleets.
3) Tesla is taking away market share. They have a "fortress balance sheet".
4) Genomics companies are severely underpriced.

Several of ARKG's stocks popped 15-20% this week. One was involved in successful COVID-19 treatments in Israel.
I have ~5% left in cash. Maybe it's time to buy ARKG even though I'm clueless about the industry itself and the companies involved.

Reactions: UncaNed
On the other hand, as soon as the offices reopen Tesla will move all those cars and then some. It’s simply a delay of revenue not revenue disappearing forever or never there in the first place.

People are fantastic at thinking of the very worse case scenario. I need only remind you of Brexit and how the sky was falling until the next day when it didn’t.

Yes, some businesses are going bankrupt. I contend they probably should have before the virus.

I was raised in an era where you were specifically told you needed to have savings for the ‘unexpected’. That it was your responsibility. Minimum 3 months of wages/living expenses, 6 preferred.

My parents opened a savings account for me by the time I was 8. I had to put some of my allowance in there, indeed the minimum they made me do was 10%. I had my first job at 11 and at least 10% of that money went in there. Had my first credit card at 18 and was responsible for using it and paying it. That’s when I learned about interest charges and decided my hard earned money was better spent in other places than interest charges. My parents made me open an RRSP at 18 and make minimum monthly deposits to start saving for retirement. No, my parents did not come from money nor I, but we all worked hard to get where we are today.

Point being, people and businesses that didn’t position themselves for an ‘emergency’ will pay the price and from that lesson they will either learn and make changes in their life/business practices or they won’t. I am not entirely without sympathy to their plights.

Tesla prepared and positioned itself for an ‘emergency’ like ALL businesses should. That’s just common sense and good business. Measures, that at first glance seemed only about not going bankrupt, soon morphed into recession-proofing. This will be recognized by at least some of the serious money people.

I have no idea when TSLA goes up or goes down or goes sideways or by how much at each phase. What I do know is if you buy all you can afford and hold onto it for dear
life, you will make money while you eat, sleep, fart, and try to land on my island.

Gee, hope you never happen to be in a business that goes to 0% income over a two week period.

Tesla would have been dead if their sales had been zero for six months anytime until late 2019. The never had "savings" to handle zero sales.

They might have survived by owners putting in more money but never by themselves.