Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. Today is a monthly options expiration day, which implies more options open interest and options trading volume than for a regular Friday expiration. Based on pre-opening data, Opricot places TSLA MaxPain at $690. However, activity this afternoon, especially with the share price being held steady around $750 while the macro-market rises, makes the $750 strike appear to be of greater interest to options writers. TSLA stock volume is relatively muted today, making manipulation easier. Of course, news or non-hedge fund trading interest can upset the plans of the manipulators. In any event, manipulative price suppression right now could set up a slingshot release upward on Monday.
question:
So today closed at $753, not their planned $750. What is the consequence to them? If it was $755. would it be any worse to them? Thanks

Reactions: UncaNed
Like candy from a baby on these predictable Fridays. I sold some $740 puts and $760 calls 25 mins ago and pocketed an easy $500.

EDIT: Went to check on these and saw that the market was paying $0.15 for the $760 calls 1 minute before close! I sold 10 more contracts at $0.15 with a market order 30 seconds before close and made another easy $135! Not a lot of money obviously but still fun and will pay for my groceries.
Try a bit harder and you might even be able to afford toilet paper!!

Not sure if this has been widely known yet but I just came across
Tesla Gigafactory to reopen May 4th
As long as Spark opens on May 4th to crank out those batteries we'll be fine.
The market will like this! Tesla not backing away from earnings report, factory going online, China sales surging, FSD revenue stream more obtainable...this is beautiful

It will be a great day for all Americans. This will also be true for whenever Boeing gets its act together with Starliner (if they ever do).

IMO, SpaceX is actually a more amazing company than Tesla when you compare everything. Assuming Starship and Super Heavy pan out as planned, it won't even be close. Then again, if robotaxis actually happen in the next couple of years, I could change my mind. ;)

Yes, that’s like the difference between filthy rich and stupid rich.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Not sure if this has been widely known yet but I just came across
Tesla Gigafactory to reopen May 4th
As long as Spark opens on May 4th to crank out those batteries we'll be fine.
That is a pretty extensive list of changes at the Nevada Gigafactory to deal with COVID19. The whole article is basically a list of changes.

Seems like Tesla is much more prepared this time around. A good sign that they can have a constructive discussions with state governments. I imagine all of this will happen at Fremont too.

The market will like this! Tesla not backing away from earnings report, factory going online, China sales surging, FSD revenue stream more obtainable...this is beautiful

If the Fremont factory is up and running during the Q1 conference call then Tesla's forward guidance will be that much more reliable and valuable.

Yes, that’s like the difference between filthy rich and stupid rich.

Ha ha ha. "Stupid rich" ->
3A2F3297-99EE-4B1F-9C23-33EA438D4551.jpeg

Or... IS it...?

Have a great weekend.

For example, I went by my Tesla service centre the other day to repair a short issue (rainwater entering cracked rear light was shorting whole system). I saw all the Teslas in the lot and asked the Tesla rep how many they were delivering. He said "none right now, because the provincial licensing office is closed" - so nobody can license a new Tesla in Ontario right now! These are real factors affecting TSLA share price IMHO.

On the other hand, as soon as the offices reopen Tesla will move all those cars and then some. It’s simply a delay of revenue not revenue disappearing forever or never there in the first place.

People are fantastic at thinking of the very worse case scenario. I need only remind you of Brexit and how the sky was falling until the next day when it didn’t.

Yes, some businesses are going bankrupt. I contend they probably should have before the virus.

I was raised in an era where you were specifically told you needed to have savings for the ‘unexpected’. That it was your responsibility. Minimum 3 months of wages/living expenses, 6 preferred.

My parents opened a savings account for me by the time I was 8. I had to put some of my allowance in there, indeed the minimum they made me do was 10%. I had my first job at 11 and at least 10% of that money went in there. Had my first credit card at 18 and was responsible for using it and paying it. That’s when I learned about interest charges and decided my hard earned money was better spent in other places than interest charges. My parents made me open an RRSP at 18 and make minimum monthly deposits to start saving for retirement. No, my parents did not come from money nor I, but we all worked hard to get where we are today.

Point being, people and businesses that didn’t position themselves for an ‘emergency’ will pay the price and from that lesson they will either learn and make changes in their life/business practices or they won’t. I am not entirely without sympathy to their plights.

Tesla prepared and positioned itself for an ‘emergency’ like ALL businesses should. That’s just common sense and good business. Measures, that at first glance seemed only about not going bankrupt, soon morphed into recession-proofing. This will be recognized by at least some of the serious money people.

I have no idea when TSLA goes up or goes down or goes sideways or by how much at each phase. What I do know is if you buy all you can afford and hold onto it for dear
life, you will make money while you eat, sleep, fart, and try to land on my island.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
TSLA has now rallied for 10 straight days... We're getting deep into the danger zone here.
Not sure about "danger zone", as Tesla isn't in danger as a company and its future looks bright. However, the stock price recovery has been quite rapid in light of the macro situation.

I hope the 4k I'm losing on the $700 4/17 call I sold went to one of you guys. ;)
I don't tend to like selling covered calls for exactly that reason (losing shares at a too-low price), but on the other hand, my plan has been to start trimming our TSLA position above roughly $1500/share. Converting Tesla shares into additional Tesla product purchases is one consideration!

So, with that in mind, the overall COVID19 situation, and the generous (in my opinion) premiums on higher-strike calls (strikes from $1500 up to $1885) expiring in the next few months, I did a little call selling today.

I say this as an investor and not a person that cares about the planet and "The Mission", but it will be a great day for Tesla when GM, Ford, and VW announce that their plans for electric vehicles have been pushed back 5 years due to debt issues.
Ha ha ha. "Stupid rich" -> View attachment 533377

Or... IS it...?

Have a great weekend.
If you are that rich I assume you have servants that poop for you.

I say this as an investor and not a person that cares about the planet and "The Mission", but it will be a great day for Tesla when GM, Ford, and VW announce that their plans for electric vehicles have been pushed back 5 years due to debt issues.

If you are that rich I assume you have servants that poop for you.
They'll love to delay! What they want is a Democrat government to give them the funds to transition to electric. They don’t take it serious enough to do it themselves.

Ya I still remember that last few minutes of Feb 4. I'm less confident than you about the no ammo situation.

What I understood from a pretty convincing interview I saw with a professional trader was that in his experience that was not market manipulation, but a case of a bunch of limit sell orders being triggered at a popular target price (950-ish), which then caused a serious drop in SP, which then triggered cascading stop-loss sell orders.. The speed of the initial drop was according to him not something any MM could achieve all by themselves..

Such collective automated triggering can happen again of course.. so my remark was not in any way meant to be reassuring.. o_O

Last edited: