Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Serious question - is there any precedent for such a heavily shorted stock to grow like this, in this kind of time frame. AAPL always used to be shorted by morons in the late 2000's and kept growing, but not at this speed.
TSLA short sellers seem to have gone for a bankrupt or nothing strategy, atleast the more vocal ones and I think that’s made this more painful. Zero common sense was used. But at the same time an electric car company that started production during a recession, and knowing there hadn’t been a successful auto company in the US since the 20’s...it’s amazing where we are.

If you buy into the theory that most of the short position is funded from the fossil fuel industry(which I fall into that camp), I am curious at what stock price, the cost of the short gets so extreme that even they're forced to cover :eek:
No such position exists. Losing a few billion dollars is pennies to them, they operate in an industry where wealth is measured in the trillions. They will remain in that short position until the end of time. Whatever is causing this buying pressure, it's not short covering. Which then begs the question: Who the hell is buying right now?

Paging @anthonyj

Twitter

Will Meade

@realwillmeade

Over 5000 $TSLA 1/17 $700 calls for 36 cents have traded today and they’re buying more now. That is not a misprint as Tesla is $497 right now

Damn..

I bought 40 of these around Christmas at 1-5 cents each. ($146 total). Just realized they were worth $1700 now.. if todays climb-rate continue, they will be in the money by 1/17.. o_O:D Then they will become real money real quick..

Well.. one can hope. ;-) $500 by close, and we hopefully will get a real squeeze.

If you buy into the theory that most of the short position is funded from the fossil fuel industry(which I fall into that camp), I am curious at what stock price, the cost of the short gets so extreme that even they're forced to cover :eek:
shorted stock losses are unlimited correct?
I would think even the oil companies will get out of this game ... they cant do this forever the people have spoken... they want a cleaner more sustainable planet

This is just getting silly now. How did these idiots not cover at $180?

Indeed - even a novice like myself knew to buy (50 TSLA) at that price - well, just under 190$.

Attachments

• TSLA50buy.jpg
    TSLA50buy.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 52
No such position exists. Losing a few billion dollars is pennies to them, they operate in an industry where wealth is measured in the trillions. They will remain in that short position until the end of time. Whatever is causing this buying pressure, it's not short covering. Which then begs the question: Who the hell is buying right now?

Yes right now measured in trillions. I think the fall of fossil fuels will be rapid once renewable generation and operation hits a certain threshold(and as government interference around the world increases) and I think profits in the fossil fuel industry will drop even quicker. If Tesla goes up to 5,000/share in the next 5-7 years, what would that put the short losses at if the short amount stayed around 16-20 million? Hundreds of billions? At that point, I could see their position falling into question...……………..which would be amazing to see.

Doomsday conspiracy theory... all the major oil companies, plus SA PIF, Koch Idiot Inc., etc., form a secret pact to buy $TSLA on the open market, each keeping below the declaration limit, until they've got a controlling stake between them, they then force buy-out of the remaining share-holders for $4000 per share, and quietly kill the company...

We've seen this kind of thing before!

At 4000/share, we (collectively here) can afford to create a new EV company called TMC.

shorted stock losses are unlimited correct?
I would think even the oil companies will get out of this game ...

Not really. They're limited by how high TSLA can go. Even the most bullish aren't suggesting it will go up by 1000x, and the oil market is (to understate the case a bit) pretty large, meaning anything that props it up... well, you can read Jack's take on the money at stake.