Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50% loss...

Remember fellahs, shorting is the inverse of investing. When you invest money long, your downside is 100%, and your upside is the moon... With shorting, your upside is 100%, and your downside is the moon.

Anyone who shorted at bleow $245 now, has a greater than 100% loss if they haven't covered.
People who shorted in the $300-350 range that the stock liked to trade in from 17-19 have lost about half their money.
Even people who shorted at the higher ranges the stock was trading at are looking at ~30% losses now.

Interesting how they are all patting themselves on their backs telling each other how smart they are and how important their jobs sound.

It really cement the same failures that occurs over and over when a roomful of smart ppl get together and decides to tackle the stock market.

Almost like academic intelligence is a guaranteed failure in the market. Yet I can't say that the ones that succeed aren't intelligent either.

It almost seems like, to succeed in the market. You need to be intelligent and posses something else. This "something else" I am starting to get a grasp on. It has some similarity to an understanding that intelligence usually lead a person to a dead end where they are sure of a certain fact. They then pursue that fact to prove it just like they do in academia or their job. But the absolute certainty of an event to be true is the exact mindset to fail in the market.

Concerning on anyone thinking of selling their shares to profit take: Instead, consider buying significantly OTM puts instead. Puts that you expect to lose every dollar on, but offer you a hedge / insurance policy on your shares.

As for how to pay for it, you can pay for it by selling a portion of your shares. Or you can sell a call if you think the max potential to run ahead is limited. Or you could sell a call spread if you think it's not likely to run much further, but if runs dramatically you could still cash out.

Selling shares isn't the only way to reduce your leverage. :)

How in the world am I blocked on that one... I never said anything to those people....

Haha, you are on Paul's block list. There are more than 7000 of us on Paul's list. I have to say that block list is TSLAQ's best invention to make sure all of them stay ignorant.

I found these shorts, even after they got wiped out, still don't learn the proper lessons. For them the biggest loss is not the wipe out. Missing the Tesla train is their biggest loss. They don't understand true investment and compounding.

Man that intra day sell off and then recovery back to the high(and higher high of the day) was super impressive. We still might see a retracement over the next week or two before earnings but that was pretty impressive to watch in real time. So much selling volume during that time that I thought for sure we were going to see strong selling pressure through the rest of the day...…..but then the buying volume went into overdrive again. Makes me believe there's room to run above 500 even before earnings

Also the volume today :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Starlink is going to give Elon/SpaceX all of the money they need for Mars. $49 a month times a few million to start. I wish I could invest directly in SpaceX.

Starlink should be a great cash cow for SpaceX and absolutely will greatly help fund Mars colonization. But the costs to colonize Mars also depend on how fast the funders wish to get it well established. Elon wants a Mars colony to reach sustainability in his lifetime. That will take tens of billions more than Starlink will generate. IMO it's pretty certain Elon will choose to use some of his personal fortune to get there sooner.

Concerning on anyone thinking of selling their shares to profit take: Instead, consider buying significantly OTM puts instead. Puts that you expect to lose every dollar on, but offer you a hedge / insurance policy on your shares.

As for how to pay for it, you can pay for it by selling a portion of your shares. Or you can sell a call if you think the max potential to run ahead is limited. Or you could sell a call spread if you think it's not likely to run much further, but if runs dramatically you could still cash out.

Selling shares isn't the only way to reduce your leverage. :)

Very sage advice.

Re, Ghosn... as a reminder. It's possible for a person...

1) To have done a tremendous amount of good (re: electrification)
2) To have been subjected to an unfair, abusive criminal justice system
3) To have had the charges dug up for "political" reasons by opponents within Nissan
4) ... and to still be guilty as sin concerning the charges at hand.

The whole situation concerning Ghosn is dirty and ugly. But that doesn't mean he's actually innocent of the charges.

As a reminder of what the charges actually are:
Carlos Ghosn: the charges against him - France 24

My understanding is that it's when they have accumulated 5% of the stock. (Don't worry, it's not me.)

Doomsday conspiracy theory... all the major oil companies, plus SA PIF, Koch Idiot Inc., etc., form a secret pact to buy $TSLA on the open market, each keeping below the declaration limit, until they've got a controlling stake between them, they then force buy-out of the remaining share-holders for $4000 per share, and quietly kill the company...

We've seen this kind of thing before!

If the stock hadn't been hammered in Early 2019 I'd own 100 shares rather than 600. I appreciate their contributions to my roadster fund.

Same exact story here. I had bought too many shares in the mid-300's, and used the downward spiral to add to my shares, to dilute my average share price, which is now at 305. Still not as good as many here, but I just couldn't bring myself to throw more money at it as it went further down. I am VERY risk averse, but if I had only known. :oops: My plan is to wait until 610, sell half to get back my initial investment, and then just let the other half ride as long as the ride lasts.

Reactions: Nocturnal