Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The following is from BBCNews's article on the Mach E unveiling:

Ford is far from being a leader in the race to produce electric cars, but it's putting its foot down in an effort to catch up.

It has even done a deal with Volkswagen to use some of the German giant's heavily funded know-how on future models.

Does someone have knowledge of or a link to any such known VW-Ford link-up?

Reactions: SpaceCash
Seems some have not discovered this yet:
They have Mach E configurator up:
2021 Ford® Mustang Mach-E SUV | All-Electric & Exhilarating
There you can see spec for all different trims, their prices and target availability date.

And that configurator shows Ford doesn’t really understand this new-fangled EV stuff. Check out the battery capacity:)

upload_2019-11-18_11-38-42.jpeg

And that configurator shows Ford doesn’t really understand this new-fangled EV stuff. Check out the battery capacity:)

View attachment 478322
It’s amazing how almost all ICE brands would put EV power electronics in the area where an engine would have been, instead of putting them in the pack or in between the pack and the motor.

It almost feels like the designers are preparing for the day the CEO would look under the hood and say “show me the engine”.
Or, they want a backup plan to have some space to put an ICE back in.

For 2020 the maximum number of European deliveries Tesla can gain under the FCA pool is 173k vehicles, the first 22k of which gain double ZEV credits (super-credits). This means that if FCA pays Tesla immediately upon Tesla earning a ZEV credit into the pool, then Tesla could earn about $100m per every 10,000 units delivered in Europe in Q1'2020. For the current levels of ~30,000 EU units Tesla would gain about $300m of ZEV income from this channel - at near 100% margins.

you can’t do linear extrapolation/interpolation because of the slope change. Assuming your 50% bounty for 2020:

First 10,000 would be about €100m
First 20,000 would be about €200m
First 30,000 would be about €250m (super-credits have been exceeded)

I know its mock the ford day, but two things I IMMEDIATELY see on their configurator that are still "WTF why dont we have those in teslas yet" are...

Foot sensor operated tailgate
360 camera view.

FFS why doesn't the top range model 3,X and S have these features?

I agree with the 360 camera--we have the cameras already, why not?

I'm "meh" about the foot activated tailgate. I've never had one, but I would think that if you don't wash the underbelly enough, it'd block the sensor so it'd be useless. Or always activating when you walked near it with your fob/phone.

I know its mock the ford day, but two things I IMMEDIATELY see on their configurator that are still "WTF why dont we have those in teslas yet" are...

Foot sensor operated tailgate
360 camera view.

FFS why doesn't the top range model 3,X and S have these features?
I want to say that Tesla is focusing on teaching the cars to see 360 vs letting us see 360.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
OT
I'm "meh" about the foot activated tailgate. I've never had one, but I would think that if you don't wash the underbelly enough, it'd block the sensor so it'd be useless. Or always activating when you walked near it with your fob/phone.

It is handy when you have your hands full. You need to go under the bumper to trigger. Walking past will not do it. Haven't had trouble with snow/ mud either.
On the other hand, it's an extra sensor to go wrong. I could see Tesla using the rear camera to do the same thing.

It’s amazing how almost all ICE brands would put EV power electronics in the area where an engine would have been, instead of putting them in the pack or in between the pack and the motor.

It almost feels like the designers are preparing for the day the CEO would look under the hood and say “show me the engine”.
Or, they want a backup plan to have some space to put an ICE back in.
More likely they design it in such a way that the same assembly line can assemble an EV or an ICE.

Because it’s a Mustang, of course! :D
Seriously, sticking the Mustang label on it is surprisingly tone-deaf. They’re going to get huge backlash from Stang fans (#notamustang), a big “meh” from green EV purists, and laughter from Tesla people. So who exactly is this supposed to win over? It’s a worse branding choice than the old Taurus X.

[edit: the Taurus X dropped that label pretty quickly and became the Flex, but not before killing the original Taurus. So... yeah.]
Wait until they introduce the Mustang MachE Turbo!