Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because NIO blows up, Tesla gets hit.
This is ridiculous

Well...I personally think its ridiculous to look at day to day gyrations of a stock like TSLA much less hour to hour gyrations. TSLA is a long term play and nothing less.

They just need to execute on the manufacturing side and keep their lead in battery tech/scale and eventually the stock will reflect their leadership position with increased multiples.

Don't be pulled around by the nose by the market makers. They are not working for your interests.

Did you see Bjorns range video comparing a raven X to the etron?

He says the etron is much less efficient but can do a 1000k road trip in the same amount of time due to high charging speeds.

While I think the X is a better car for many reasons, the test shows the etron is a capable long range cruiser.

I find this video a bit strange.

Bjørn used range mode. Which AFAIK will make the charging go slower since battery is not warmed/cooled to optimal temp like it usually is in normal mode.

And didn't the car charge better on superchargers than on the ccs-adapter chargers? I had that impression after watching but I don't have time to rewatch more closely.

And the least important but also weird - why not charge to 100% before going like he did with the other cars he tested?

But I agree with you that the etron is not too bad. You end up paying much more for electricity compared to a TMX. Still much better than paying for gas. If Tesla did not exist I probably would have picked the e-Tron from the EVs for sale today. Or I might have kept my fossil car a bit longer. Who knows.

TSLA is now at or slightly below both the mid-BB and the 50-day Moving Avg. Unless there is a further 'Boomberg' event today, I expect TSLA will find some natural support at around this level.

But of course, shortzes will try to make this run as far as they can. So as FC says, 'not advice'.

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2019-09-24.10-26.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
Tesla down over 3%. because a poorly run Chinese electric car co. is predictably failing. Seems like NIO's failure would be to Tesla's advantage. But, of course, if there is positive news for a co. like NIO, Tesla goes down (competition), AND if there is negative news for a co. like NIO, Tesla also goes down (because Tesla must be having the same issues). The shorts are insufferable.
Are you forgetting? This fall is because “Tesla of China” is more than likely failing.

Surprised that it just ripped through the 50DMA without a bounce
We're about a buck 75 below the mid-BB right now. I expect some support here, though still amazingly low volume (<2M shares in 1st hr) on a 3.75% dn day. And the Shortzes are still tryin' hard.

The good news is the 'tutes' aren't panicking, they are holding. This will be no 20M share day. We'll get our bounce on a good deliveries report.

EDIT: Volume at 47k shares/min traded over the last 15 min. SP breached $230 briefly which I would expect to trigger both some sells and some buys. So far (10:52) looks like more buys.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncaNed
TSLA is now at or slightly below both the mid-BB and the 50-day Moving Avg. Unless there is further 'Boomberg' event today, I expect TSLA will find some natural support at around this level.

But of course, shortzes will try to make this to run as far as they can. So as FC says, 'not advice'.

View attachment 458458

Cheers!

Agreed. I sold short dated 230 puts on this spike down. Definitely not something I recommend most of this forum do. But it’s a common sense trade based on what I believe is happening.

I guess they think the EV Market in China is collapsing, which would affect Tesla.
Wrong.
1. Shorts are not able to think healthy and clear.
2. When it rains: sell Tesla.
3. When the sun shines: sell Tesla
4. When Tesla sells 10 millions of EV per year: sell Tesla.
5. When shorts would own Tesla: buy Tesla.

"So really, it seems like Porsche is cool with Elon’s tweets since it gives their car more exposure, but they’re not cool with getting beaten by Tesla if that Tesla is an actual production car and not a one-off. For now, it seems, Porsche’s focusing on launching the Taycan.

But when Tesla launches plaid mode in the Model S (it’s expected to enter production in about a year), if that car outdoes the Taycan, you can expect a response from Stuttgart, though I have no clue what that response will be. All I know is that the prospect of an electric sports car engineering showdown between Porsche and Tesla is one of the most exciting things I can even imagine."

https://jalopnik.com/porsche-on-tesla-nurburgring-rivalry-and-elon-musk-tha-1838331439

If? Hilarious. Yeah, Porsche. Feel to play wait and see. How’s that worked for them and others so far?

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Could it be that Baillie Gifford, NIO’s biggest stockholder but also a large TSLA stockholder, finds itself forced to liquidate some of its position in TSLA because of NIO’s 25% price drop?

Oh, bummer, did he really invested in NIO and didn't sold out when they announced they are not going to build their own factory. Interesting who was his adviser in taking stake in NIO

So partly back to the old “is Tesla capital constrained?” argument again.

The battery cell situation is such a source of frustration to me. We’re homing in on 2 years late from the original 10k/week Model 3 plan. Lots of water under the bridge and all and in my mind GF3 certainly was a deliberate strategic pivot which moved the date out. But it drives me mad that we’re really saying that cells are stopping the launch of a killer product when we’re still so far behind what was envisaged so recently.

The silver lining as an investor (not a resident of earth) is that this all underlines just what a hard job the field will have to even catch up to Tesla’s 2018 production levels, yet alone Tesla’s 2021/2 production.

Battery Day cannot come soon enough.

Meanwhile we have what should hopefully be a nice week to look forward to, with Starship at Boco Chica at the weekend, shortly followed by Q3 deliveries.

Tesla is homing in on 10 months past the 10k/week target, not 2 years.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Oh, bummer, did he really invested in NIO and didn't sold out when they announced they are not going to build their own factory. Interesting who was his adviser in taking stake in NIO

I don't know how up to date the report of their 12,3% stake in NIO still is, it could be that they have already been reducing their exposure over the last few months.

Baillie Gifford is not the name of an individual person. It is an investment management and advisory firm in Scotland that's owned by 44 partners. It was founded in 1908 and originally called Ballie & Gifford, the last names of its two founders..

Last edited:
Today's action is pretty much exactly why I believe there's mass back room manipulation and coordination between most of the wall st hedge funds. As Lycan pointed out, they could be coordinating it down so that it can recover slightly during the week and hit max pain on Friday.

I mean, literally no buying volume on the drop to almost 5%. I refuse to believe that smart money would be that dumb as to confuse Nio's issues as Tesla's. It's not rocket science.