Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did Facebook do in the years after IPO? Tesla already had its.
Uber is doing well. Tesla is a startup that stopped growing for now. Or it's a stable car maker with a crazy revenue multiple considering the lack of profit and dividend.

If Tesla limits it's FSD to self made cars, it will be self limited. We all know about their production woes. Once the competition has software that works, any non-Tesla already on the road or still to be built can undercut Tesla, pretty much. By the time this all goes down, the non-Tesla fleet of BEVs that are ready to become Level 5 taxis will be quite significant. And it can be grown as fast as cars can be built by the whole of the market. Offer 10% over sticker for any BEV with FSD controls coming out of factories, as any needed sensors and computer, start undercutting Tesla.

You are forgetting the first mover advantage and the IP portfolio they might carry. Elon might volunteer the battery/EV tech for faster adaptation but FSD may be not.

Reactions: neroden
Apparently not, no. Waymo's cars currently use an Intel tech-stack.

That’s what I thought, hence Elon’s snide remark that the Tesla FSD computer fits behind the glove box, and doesn’t take up half your trunk.

Hopefully, there will be some better tech pieces out in the next few days showing just how far ahead Tesla is in NN car compute and FSD than anyone else.

Reactions: Anstandswauwau
The bad news is, I believe, version 2 of the NN chip will have to start from scratch as an expansion of Neurons will probably mean it will have to restart learning from a random state.

Good news is, they can just hook up version 2 to version 1 and have it train the kid. Maybe that's what the training simulator they are building is for.

My impression is that they don’t hardcode the network architecture into the hardware... the hardware just provides blocks that are used in an order and with weights determined by the compiled network. So long a v2 still has the blocks to process v1’s network(with maybe some new ones and efficiency improvements to those old ones), it’d be backwards compatible.

The bad news is, I believe, version 2 of the NN chip will have to start from scratch as an expansion of Neurons will probably mean it will have to restart learning from a random state.

Good news is, they can just hook up version 2 to version 1 and have it train the kid. Maybe that's what the training simulator they are building is for.

I think not. There's a training system that does the learning. That runs offline, likely "in the cloud". That builds the NN, which the in-car HW3 runs. You could think of the training system as a build system, except it's on a much larger scale than compiling "hello world". The HW3 engineer explained that they cross-compiled the HW2.x NN to run on HW3, without re-training. They can probably do that again for HW4.

Apple did something similar for m68k -> PPC, and again for PPC -> x86.

I'll believe a $100 billion market cap for Uber when I see it. Lyft IPO'd less than a month ago with a market cap of $21 billion and went to $25 billion on the first day of trading. Now it's $17 billion. Let's see what it is after its first earnings report on May 7th.

If Uber can get a firm commitment for $100 billion from its underwriters, good for them. But the upside potential vs downside risk for a company that loses money on every transaction doesn't work for me. Maybe I'm missing something.
No you aren't missing anything. I don't own a Tesla but the optimism I am getting from my brother soulpedl on the HUGE surge in his confidence of autopilot recently leads me to believe that it won't be long before even a Trumpanzee will see that Uber and Lyft will be worthless very soon. Tesla will own autopilot like Google owns search. It's a foregone conclusion.

Question:

I’m not entirely sure what was meant when they mentioned unsupervised learning and "Project Dojo."

Were they referring to:

a. Some kind of bootstrapping with the training, they mentioned Self-supervision

b. Some kind of competitive network evolution, such as Generative Adversarial Networks or Genetic Algorithms

c. Unsupervised or reinforcement learning as might be found in biological brains, such as an Adaptive Resonance Theory based network or a behavioral conditioning circuit such as a Gated Dipole

Any thoughts or guesses?

Last edited:
We’re talking ride sharing valuation. Tesla does not generate any revenue from ride sharing. The market is in a “show me” mode with Tesla, they do not believe any forward looking statements until they come to fruition. Therefore, Uber has a $100b ridesharing valuation and Tesla has $0. I don’t agree with that, but that is what the market is saying

I feel that part of the reason of this analyst meeting was to make clear how nonsensical the valuation of Uber is, with a competitor that will be able to undercut Uber and Lyft on price, and be very profitable at it. And that Tesla deserves that Uber valuation.

How did Facebook do in the years after IPO? Tesla already had its.
Uber is doing well. Tesla is a startup that stopped growing for now. Or it's a stable car maker with a crazy revenue multiple considering the lack of profit and dividend.

If Tesla limits it's FSD to self made cars, it will be self limited. We all know about their production woes. Once the competition has software that works, any non-Tesla already on the road or still to be built can undercut Tesla, pretty much. By the time this all goes down, the non-Tesla fleet of BEVs that are ready to become Level 5 taxis will be quite significant. And it can be grown as fast as cars can be built by the whole of the market. Offer 10% over sticker for any BEV with FSD controls coming out of factories, as any needed sensors and computer, start undercutting Tesla.
And competitors are close behind? Not that I have seen at all, anywhere.

To be fair, Google does already produce their own NN chips and boards.
And they have ML expertise that far exceeds Tesla. And they have an actual Robotaxi service. And they're legally allowed to operate with an empty driver's seat in CA. And they've driven thousands of miles on public roads without anyone in the driver's seat. And they have enough cash to fund any possible business plan.

Where they fall short is business plan. Tesla customers have for years paid thousands of dollars for a product that didn't even exist. Google/Waymo has nothing like that. They better get their a** in gear, or all the "Ands" listed above won't matter.

We’re talking ride sharing valuation. Tesla does not generate any revenue from ride sharing. The market is in a “show me” mode with Tesla, they do not believe any forward looking statements until they come to fruition. Therefore, Uber has a $100b ridesharing valuation and Tesla has $0. I don’t agree with that, but that is what the market is saying
On the eve of a likely very disappointing Q1 call, to come with some vague specs and 21x as many frames, could well be seen as window dressing. Tesla perhaps had to do it, but so far nothing to really get its shareholders to double down perhaps? And why would they, if Tesla seems to be betting everything on this. It's a tricky company that can turn on a dime, Elon may as well say they've stopped putting steering wheels in cars. Those who invest to make a living have gotten plenty of reason to get very nervous over the past year alone, even with all the sales records being broken.

Just reading headlines on yahoo finance :

-
Elon Musk Boasts Tesla Built the ‘Best Chip in the World,’ Drops Nvidia

Elon Musk says Tesla driverless taxis coming next year, touts self-driving chip

Tesla promises ‘one million robo-taxis’ in 2020

The thing I think would help the share price is to see the same titles but with an external person/entity name instead of Elon/Tesla. At this point, it is just too easy to say that they are over-promising.

My impression is that they don’t hardcode the network architecture into the hardware... the hardware just provides blocks that are used in an order and with weights determined by the compiled network. So long a v2 still has the blocks to process v1’s network(with maybe some new ones and efficiency improvements to those old ones), it’d be backwards compatible.
It’s a programmable CPU, with a small amount of instructions specific for neural network calculation (6 or 7 instructions, they were on a slide). The next slide was about their compiler that generates the specific set of instructions to calculate the entire network solution. (There was even a typo in the title stating ‘complier’ instead of ‘compiler’). They even mentioned some specific optimizations in their compiler. The next chip will have more instructions.

Ok I just got a break and managed to read through several pages.
Couple questions....anything on S/X refresh?
Any link to watch the demo drives?

Any idea why the SP is not $1000?

no, no , and because even I, a perma bull don't believe they can do that next year?

Don't get me wrong, the technical presentations are very impressive. Three things jumps out to me:

1. Karpathy also thinks LIDARs are dumb. He is not yes man to anybody.
2. Simulation vs real world data.
3. Semi-automated labeling.

I remember sometimes ago, I saw multiple presentation from Google self driving team talk about massive simulation infrastructure they are building to augment the limit amount of data from real world. They touch upon removing bias from simulated data but did not specify how. Today Karpathy says not only you have to deal with bias, you simply can not simulate what you don't know! This strikes me as a huge problem to simulation, and probably one of the reasons they use geofencing, as they would try to collect as much as they can about one location, and augment the simulation model based on what they learnt.

Another difficulty in AI is data labeling. Reinforcement learning does not require labeling, but its is extremely limited. It appears Tesla has developed a pretty good approach to automate large amount of labelling. Although fully automatic labelling is not there, this is already a big step ahead.

So the Tesla fleet is an invaluable asset to them, a very wide moat. They are very likely the front runner.

All that said, we just don't have enough evidence that they are almost there. I don't believe it, and I don't think wall street believes it.

on the other hand if one day Elon decided to becomes a super villain, he has a pretty powerful weapon.

The NVIDIA Drive PX Pegasus reportedly does 320 TOPS, with TDP at 500 watts.

I just checked the new Xavier architecture. For the Drive AGX. They are still reusing their graphics Tensor cores. As long as they are using these Tensor Cores, 1 TOPS in NVIDIA is inferior to 1 TOPS in tsla chips. I think the most important difference is that Nvidia's chips are stream processors. I am assuming latency galore in decision making.

A proper simulation of human neurons need a proper hardware specific design for it. Not saying that Tsla have it down (since nobody knows what they have), but at least theirs is probably optimized to use the best type of variable for the calculation. According to neuro scientists, a neuron has a voltage component, a frequency and a phase component to their signals. Technically possible to evolve by allowing the NN to evolve its own transistor resistor level logic. But Mongo told me that's not how it was designed.

And competitors are close behind? Not that I have seen at all, anywhere.
Tesla is competing with ICEVs for now, BEVs hitting the market are sparse and that will change.
Tesla is working on FSD and there are others doing the same, well funded, no distractions.
The moment one other company manages to get Level 5 going, it's a price war right there. If Tesla sticks to its own fleet, it can be outnumbered 100:1 for robotaxis on the streets within a few years.
25-30% will not fly anymore. Taking money for FSD software may not fly anymore.
Imagine Tesla sticks to $35K+ cars and then $15K FSD capable econobox BEVs start hitting the market. How much will riders pay extra to be brought to the airport or work by Tesla whom they know make much more money, as the novelty wears off?

They are almost certainly saving all the training data. They will be able to reuse it.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and mekberg