Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, anybody having the troubles of the types I'm having with Fidelity? In what was supposed to be a simple clerical change to our brokerage account(multiply the shares by 5, divide the share price by 5) has turned into a nightmare! These brilliant people had managed to pull 2/3 of our shares in the brokerage account and redistribute them among our other IRA accounts, immediately triggering a margin call on a loan we had against the account! They also resurrected a dead 401k account and completely lost a cash account, with the associated cash, tied to the brokerage account.

I have to admit, it's been a very, very long time since I've used language like I did on the telephone! Now they've assured me they would have it all corrected by Friday(I spoke to them on Tuesday) but I still don't see any changes. I'm thinking I've aged about 5 yrs/day lately. :mad::oops:

Maybe they are preparing for a major re-branding? Infidelity. All the "in" people are using it!

Seriously though, this was only a clerical change from a shareholders perspective. From the perspective of the brokers and clearing houses it was a complete accounting of all the actual shares. Because only actual shares were assigned the 4 dividend shares. It seems like people are still not understanding this. And, yes, I understand that loaned shares were split along with the shares being loaned. The problem was some shares had no "donor shares" to make them legitimate.

As most of you know, accounting is pretty simple until the numbers don't add up correctly. The fact that the delays and problems were so widespread is more evidence that there were an excessive number of synthetic shares out there and the market makers got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. But, in the end, all will be sorted out and the boldest of the bunch will have reduced their potential losses by covering the last shares this week at lower prices.

The number of banks involved speak volume: Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC, BofA Securities, Inc., Barclays Capital Inc., Citigroup Global Markets Inc., Deutsche Bank Securities Inc., Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC, Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC, SG Americas Securities, LLC, Wells Fargo Securities, LLC and BNP Paribas Securities Corp.
Why on earth do you need 10 banks to do a non-emergent cap raise? 1 would have done it.
That gives each bank as little profit as possible.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Here's the difference I'm seeing with IV and option premiums:
On 8/21/20 I initiated a straddle
Share price was around $2050 ($410 post split)
Oct 2 call strike $2050 ($410 post split)
Oct 2 put strike $2050 ($410 post split)
Purchasing each set of calls and puts cost $44,170

With 9 fewer trading days until expiration, but with IV now at ~126 versus ~80 calls and puts are up in value 32% and 36% respectively.

To initiate the same trade of buying a call and put for Oct 2 at a strike of $410 it costs:
Call strike $410: $6110
Put strike $410: $5887
Straddle now costs $11,997
Current sh price ~410
Comparing my original straddle and adjusting for the split the cost is $44,170 vs $59,985 or 35.8% higher premiums.

Edit: added current share price is again around $410

I would've been more rude at that obvious lie. In this day and age of screen locks, who in the world butt-dials anymore? A screen lock is the user's responsibility. That poser was just contriving a complaint about not having a purchase confirmation.

I've put my phone in a front shirt pocket and had the material "but dial" from the home screen into an app and 3 layers deep waiting for me to answer a confirmation after 10-30 seconds in my shirt pocket.

Do I have a screen lock on my phone? Absolutely, and I use it often, but not 100% of the time and when I don't it's not unusual for me to find an app I haven't opened in months sitting open asking me a question.

Any heavy user of a phone is going to have incidents like that from time to time even if they have a decent habit of locking the phone when not in use.

Maybe they are preparing for a major re-branding? Infidelity. All the "in" people are using it!

Seriously though, this was only a clerical change from a shareholders perspective. From the perspective of the brokers and clearing houses it was a complete accounting of all the actual shares. Because only actual shares were assigned the 4 dividend shares. It seems like people are still not understanding this. And, yes, I understand that loaned shares were split along with the shares being loaned. The problem was some shares had no "donor shares" to make them legitimate.

As most of you know, accounting is pretty simple until the numbers don't add up correctly. The fact that the delays and problems were so widespread is more evidence that there were an excessive number of synthetic shares out there and the market makers got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. But, in the end, all will be sorted out and the boldest of the bunch will have reduced their potential losses by covering the last shares this week at lower prices.

This feels like the perfect post to end the discussion about the stock split and naked shorting, now that the split is behind us. Thanks everyone for participating (speculating) and maybe one day we will know what really happened.

Relax, nobody is dying on this hill. Nobody is talking about responsibility either so climb down off that soapbox. It's just common sense. Why not add an incredibly EASY and STANDARD form of security for something like this? Yeah, I can't buy a movie from Amazon or an app from Apple without password confirmation but I'm an asshole for suggesting it's easier for Tesla to add a password check than to deal with refund requests from idiots. Elon himself agreed didn't he?

Instead we have Tesla wasting time dealing with refunds and trying to sort out who did what. It's CYA.

Tesla addresses "butt-dialed" in-app purchases with new refund policy
For the record, the guy said he did summon his car, so the tesla app was already on and he was already logged in,
and then he put the phone in his pocket.

Thanks. I think I am amply positioned to benefit from Tesla over the next year and beyond. Where do you think the stock could be in the coming year?

I’m quite sure you are and I don’t typically talk specifics simply because I have no control over the outcome. I’ve been at the mercy and whimsy of crooks, thieves and bandits. However, that’s changing/changed.

Based on observing your postings over the years, I feel that you lean more conservatively in your predictions and how you think this all plays out. It serves you well, never getting too far ahead and certainly never caught with your pants down.

I know you believe the SP got ahead of itself; I don’t necessarily disagree. The difference is probably mostly in just how far ahead.

I also know you’re very math oriented and you like to formula it all so the numbers make sense to you.

My contention is that I believe if you continue to model in your usual more mathematically conservative manner the actual test answer (SP) is going to be vastly different.

BF targets worked until they didn’t. They worked until the crooks, thieves and bandits lost control of Tesla and then they lost control of TSLA. And while they may continue to swing their apparatus around to show just how much they rule the world, every day Tesla grows a bit bigger and a bit more powerful. I believe Tesla’s power will usurp, is usurping the big boys. I believe chaos is in its way, fast.

So, no. I don’t expect another 5 year long, torturous base to form on the TSLA chart. I don’t even expect a shorter 1 year base to form. I expect this puppy to move like an epic surfing day, with ever larger, higher, longer lasting waves as the wind that is Tesla picks up throughout the day.

Let me express it in simple pictures.

2011-2019
C5654F1F-5F17-47C0-9888-61A29BD0C58A.jpeg

2020-foreseeable future
DBA67046-E5A5-4ACB-8A67-3A5552D349D5.jpeg

It is extremely painful to hear GJ try to justify his points...he really has a career in the circus after he finally loses his last $

...when they got to GJ not understanding why a car being out of warranty or not matters to service revenue and profit, and Rob had to explain it... just...wow...

also... "what are units?"