Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way this is consolidating around the 1980-2000 level I would not be surprised to see it break out again this week even without any S&P news. It’s clear the big boys have some plans for us next week. I don’t think we will see a drop at all next week.

Given the momentum and technicals I can see us gaining another 20% after the split and leading up to battery day and maybe higher if S&P inclusion happens along the way. Not advice.

I'm not ruling-out a green finish today, the second they stop pushing it down, it pops like crazy, just need that little bit more volume...

Guess the buy switch has been flipped...no one saw that coming :)

At least a couple of us called it ;), tomorrow should be an exciting day!

Reactions: M|S|M MYP
Anyone who believes a larger battery isn't required for more than local or shorter distance driving either does not own an EV, or has never driven in the winter with all of the elements against you, or has never kept up with highway speeds in the winter with the flow of traffic. Worse if towing, and very challenging towing in the winter.

Can it be done? Sure, but you're not going to do it more than once before kicking yourself for not investing in the largest battery you can IMHO.

Can't wait for battery day!
I've done many road trips in my Model S P100D. Most in winter for skiing, sometimes in storms. Doesn't need more range. But I'd certainly like more range. Charge less often, and faster. Have to stop at superchargers less often. My opinion would probably be different if I were towing. But for almost all owners, more range is at best a "like to have" rather than a "must have".

LOL, nice example. My first big road-trip in my Tesla was in 2015* Toronto to Grand Canyon, which included the Kansas City to Denver section:
Road Trip from Toronto to Grand Canyon

My good ol' 85kwh Model S did not have 400 mile range and got me through Dakota as well on the way back. I have also made several ski trips in the winter, e.g. to Lake Placid. So I am no stranger to driving in cold and snow with less than nominal range. My Model S does not have the "ideal" range, I would have preferred longer, sure. But my Model 3 AWD with its ~300 miles range is already enough, any longer and I would have to stop anyway for bathroom breaks. I am talking from 6-year Tesla road tripping experience.

* Mind you, supercharger density was much lower in 2015 than today!
Sure, I drove from Dallas to Seattle in 2015. I also drove it on trips before there were Superchargers (other than the three in California). It can be done, and it's a nice trip, but most people would likely complain about not being able to drive over the speed limit and still make it with a comfortable reserve. The 2020 X LR+ I have now has about the same range as the 2013 S85 but I can drive at the speed limit so I don't have to let every truck and camper pass me (mostly, some sections I have to be pretty careful). Going over the speed limit would be dicey for some sections of my most frequent trip. I have about 7K miles now. When the OE tires wear out, 19" wheels and tires should give a big boost.

I dunno. I'd be curious to see the stats but I would be comfortable with betting that 400+ mile trips are in the upper end of the bell curve of use cases.
Come to Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and surrounding states or the Prairie Provinces in Canada and I think you'll change your mind. Other than day trips, I don't think I've made a trip less than 600 miles each way.

People still go on vacation these days? :) Come back in 2 weeks, it'll be about $600....:p

Imagine going on a extended remote vacation with no access to the outside world for the past 2 months. Your first view of the stock would be "It wen from 1,000 down to 500!?!?!"............only to then check your brokerage account o_O

Senate Democrats have release a policy guide to tackle climate change. Sorry for the long post (the actual document is 250 pages) but I grabbed a few snippets of interest to Tesla investors.
Senate Democrats’ Climate Committee Releases New Report On Climate Action, Plan To Build Clean Economy For American People | Senate Democratic Leadership
Democrats Are Trying to Save Climate Policy From the Senate

Direct spending and financing to build new clean generation at a greatly increased pace. 3 Investments in transmission to tie the grid together across the nation via better longdistance connections. 3 A federal clean energy standard, emission standards, a carbon price, and/or other market mechanisms to ensure the rapid adoption and scale-up of proven technologies today. 3 Predictable, technology-neutral tax incentives focused on emission reductions, to enable long-term investment planning. 3 RD&D spending aimed at bending the cost curve for technologies that provide ondemand, net-zero carbon emission electricity

s. For example, rapid advances in short-term battery storage and demand management are facilitating the integration of variable renewables—but the seasonality of wind and solar remains an issue. We must innovate to develop affordable, longerterm storage options that can balance the supply and demand for electricity on the scale of months.

Scaling benefits through electrification Clean electricity plus beneficial electrification—meaning emission reductions that come when we use clean electricity to replace other fuels—can help decarbonize the rest of the economy while saving money. One recent study of emission reduction scenarios for Colorado showed that complete decarbonization of electricity, 80 percent electrification of automobiles, and 60 percent electrification of space and water heating by 2040 would result in consumer savings of $16 billion on transportation costs ($600 per vehicle per year), $10 billion on heating costs ($500 per customer per year), and $100 in annual electric bill savings per customer. This is even after factoring in the required investments in new technology.69 A similar analysis for Minnesota, assuming 80 percent economy-wide decarbonization by 2050, found that households would save between $600 and $1,200 per year on energy costs. In this scenario, jobs in Minnesota’s energy sector would more than triple, with 14,000 new jobs in wind and 36,000 new jobs in solar, while the cost of electricity would decline 3 cents per kilowatt hour.70

The United States currently has over 270 million registered vehicles,217 and our cars, trucks, and SUVs account for almost 60 percent of emissions within the sector.218 Scalable solutions to make vehicles cleaner can play a significant role in getting us to a global net-zero emission economy by 2050. In part, this requires stronger emissions standards for cars and trucks and new policies to bring cost-competitive advanced liquid fuels to market. Most importantly, we need to rapidly increase the share of zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs) on our roads, along with the infrastructure to power them. The cost of ZEVs is decreasing, making them an economical choice for millions of Americans. New policies and incentives can help continue driving ZEV costs down for consumers and making them accessible to even more Americans. Building our country’s ZEV infrastructure will not only create quality jobs, it will also provide millions more Americans the opportunity to save money and protect them from the price fluctuations of the gasoline market. We also need to decarbonize our long-distance transit and shipping methods. Electrification and low-carbon liquid fuels will play a particularly important role in addressing emissions from trains, ports, and freight segments.219 And we will need to develop new technologies to address modes that are currently hard to decarbonize, like aviation and shipping. The federal government can support these goals by: 3 Funding locally driven smart growth planning and public transit. 3 Ensuring stronger vehicle emissions standards. 3 Establishing a national ZEV standard, increasing access to ZEVs through incentives, and investing in ZEV infrastructure. 3 Increasing federal grant programs and direct investment to make public vehicle fleets and school buses zero emission. 3 Increasing federal transportation funding for infrastructure that will lower emissions. 3 Supporting R&D to create the next generation of liquid fuels. 3 Incentivizing electrification of shipping and rail, and building out U.S. high-speed rail. 3 Ambitiously regulating aviation emissions and increasing federal R&D spending on usable batteries and advanced fuels for aviation.

My guess is that much of the run-up over the last month has been a green-new-deal play.

You made more money while on vacation than going to work.
you got that right ... and it was really amazing i did not look at ticker from 8/17- 8/23 as i was off grid ... i started hyperventilating when i saw Yahoo finance price quote on 8/23 ... i wanted to celebrate with the TSLA long team on this thread ... my wife was not as excited ... she says to me " what are you getting so excited about its only a paper gain" :rolleyes:... she just does not understand the pain we have lived as TSLA longs over the years

My guess is that much of the run-up over the last month has been a green-new-deal play.
It's a bit of a longshot perhaps as it requires a Biden win AND the Dems taking the Senate. Trying to be as apolitical as possible, I hope that worst case at least some of that winds up in a compromise bill in exchange for walls or red baseball hats or something.