Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update on Norway: now sitting at 958 delivered, which is > 10x Feb 2018. Likely will be more added today, but unlikely to quite catch Nov 2017 as the top non-quarter-ending month ever. Again, though, Nov is seasonally much stronger than Feb, so this is still pretty solid in my book. March should be another jump up since deliveries didn't even start until midway through Feb (and March is longer, as well).

What's the bucket list of current core Tesla Tasks [that we know of or can reasonably induce]?

:) Gigafactory Shanghai + attendant cell supply + financing
o_O Gigafactory Europe + cell supply + financing [all still very murky, I think]
:) Model Y development + industrialization
o_O Model 3 SR [a bit of a public fixation IMO as marker of progress along the cost curve]
:) Semi development + industrialization
;) Pickup development + industrialization
:D Cell supply for US production currently seems to be sufficient
:D Financing for US centered activities - probably without a capital raise
:) Stationary Storage
:( Discounting solar stuff as immaterial to the company's vital progression [sorry but so]
:( Discounting Roadster 2 - nice but nonessential. Worth a big Elonian announcement?
:) Vital ancillary tech like battery and Supercharger improvements
:cool: Autonomy catchall
:confused: All kinds of service improvements

Anything else on the radar?
Wireless energy transfer with large soon to be deployed satellite network.
Tesla branded tinfoil and graphene hats...

But I hope this is not a $35k M3 or Y annoucement. That means they are global demand constrained at the current trim levels.

I will get a lot of Disagrees. I am happy to be wrong.
You just have to follow what Elon actually says:

"It's just like people literally don't have the money to buy the car. It's got nothing to do with desire. They just don't have enough money in their bank account." - Jan 31, 2019

Elon's top priority for the Model 3 program is to make it a mass-market car, and to get as many of them as possible on the roads.

That means cutting the price. You know, so they can supply the demand that exists at those prices? Where nobody else sells any EVs?

What's the bucket list of current core Tesla Tasks [that we know of or can reasonably induce]?

:) Gigafactory Shanghai + attendant cell supply + financing
o_O Gigafactory Europe + cell supply + financing [all still very murky, I think]
:) Model Y development + industrialization
o_O Model 3 SR [a bit of a public fixation IMO as marker of progress along the cost curve]
:) Semi development + industrialization
;) Pickup development + industrialization
:D Cell supply for US production currently seems to be sufficient
:D Financing for US centered activities - probably without a capital raise
:) Stationary Storage
:( Discounting solar stuff as immaterial to the company's vital progression [sorry but so]
:( Discounting Roadster 2 - nice but nonessential. Worth a big Elonian announcement?
:) Vital ancillary tech like battery and Supercharger improvements
:cool: Autonomy catchall
:confused: All kinds of service improvements

Anything else on the radar?

Please take my wholehearted up-vote for the very creative, informative and typographically pleasing use of this forum's set of emoticons to categorize outcomes by sentiment!

I'm so going to steal this format! :)

My guess :

Musk is taking a different role than CEO.
Or Panasonic taking more ownership in GF1

But I hope this is not a $35k M3 or Y annoucement. That means they are global demand constrained at the current trim levels.

I will get a lot of Disagrees. I am happy to be wrong.

I think it's irrelevant because the announcement is February 28th 5pm EST, and there's a March convertible note to be paid off, which is announcement-worthy, but not event-worthy. There's also leasing, which doesn't depend on production improvements.

Anyway, Tesla has already worked through the backlog in the USA.

Being able to sell the SR+PUP at least is important for market and consumer confidence. I consider it essential for survival, because cost reduction is needed to maintain profitability as the ASP falls. Ironically, the SR+PUP could help sell other variants.

I don't think Tesla will sell a US-built SR in China, since it's building GF3 in Shanghai to sell more profitably to the Chinese market.

So, beginning SR+PUP production for North American sales could affect demand in Europe. But, SR will be limited to RWD, and it would continue to use AWD to upsell people to LR. Also, Tesla would in any case not actually _sell_ the SR+PUP at least until 2019Q3 since the pricing for the MR puts its cost around or below the target for the unsubsidized SR.