Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“$11 Billion market” divided by “1 million cars” = $11,000 average selling price. Either one of those numbers is WAY off, or they are all buying fiat pintos (which I doubt).

Sales Statistics | OICA

Motor vehicle sales, Saudi Arabia:
2013: 740,000
2014: 828,200
2015: 830,100
2016: 655,500
2017: 500,601
2018: 403,857
2019: 528,883

Looks like, as with just about everything else, motor vehicle sales in SA are strongly correlated with oil prices

From the NYSE, Toyota is still worth US$215 B:

View attachment 550036

...so we're not there yet:

View attachment 550038

Really people? 10 dislikes? I'm just stating facts.

Posted this morning from Bloomberg:

Tesla Approaches Milestone of World’s Most Valuable Carmaker
By
Gearoid Reidy
June 11, 2020, 1:24 AM EDT Updated on June 11, 2020, 2:42 AM EDT

With a market capitalization of more than $190 billion, Tesla still has some distance to close to reach Toyota’s $210.5 billion valuation, which includes treasury shares, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. A rally of about another 11% in Tesla shares could see it claim the crown if Toyota holds steady, with Tesla already up 23% since the beginning of June.

Toyota’s market valuation includes the 14.3% of shares that Toyota itself holds as treasury stock, worth around $30 billion. Tesla doesn’t hold any treasury shares, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-11_9-9-8.png
    upload_2020-6-11_9-9-8.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 36
Really people? 10 dislikes? I'm just stating facts.

Posted this morning from Bloomberg:

Tesla Approaches Milestone of World’s Most Valuable Carmaker
By
Gearoid Reidy
June 11, 2020, 1:24 AM EDT Updated on June 11, 2020, 2:42 AM EDT

With a market capitalization of more than $190 billion, Tesla still has some distance to close to reach Toyota’s $210.5 billion valuation, which includes treasury shares, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. A rally of about another 11% in Tesla shares could see it claim the crown if Toyota holds steady, with Tesla already up 23% since the beginning of June.

Toyota’s market valuation includes the 14.3% of shares that Toyota itself holds as treasury stock, worth around $30 billion. Tesla doesn’t hold any treasury shares, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Or people disagree with Bloombergs logic here. I found it informative that Bloomberg disagree with ohters re market cap.

Tell that to Bloomberg.

afe30a55b92e7999571dbe1eeaafbd74.png

a105f2005849081baf73446ea973bc70.png

The market cap on Bloomberg is wrong because they have the incorrect number for "shares outstanding".
They are showing 1,631,5m shares outstanding when the correct number is approx 1,383.1m outstanding.
Shares outstanding in Japan are actually 2,766.2m but on the US exchange, the stocks are ADRs (American Depositary Receipts) and each ADR is 2 shares of the Japanese shares. Thus 2,766.2m shares outstanding on the Japan exchange is 1,383.1m on the US exchange.

EDIT: I see the problem now. As other members have mentioned, Bloomberg does not exclude treasury shares (which it should). When a company buys back stock they can either retire them or put them away in treasury (its like sticking them in a draw). Many keep them in treasury because it is easier to issue them again if needed (stock options, etc). Bloomberg needs to exclude the treasury shares from their calculation.

Last edited:
The reason current volume is low is that they're only selling replacement trucks for those that need to be retired. If Tesla offers a much lower cost per mile then the industry will be wanting to replace a much larger part of the total fleet.
Although they also provide 'gliders' which provide a new chassis for an old engine without pollution controls:
New-looking trucks with old, polluting engines could get a pass from Trump

The heavy truck market is very resistant to change. We should not overstate the rate of adoption for BEV, even when the economics are overwhelming. Obvious, cheap, lifesaving, fuelsaving techniques such as skirts below trailer and truck chassis are strongly resisted in the US.

Years ago there was a DOT program for truck and bus fuel economy. One of my best friends ran the program. I remember that the skirts paid for themselves within a typical two-month use, but operators resisted and refused. My friend gave the analogy of motorcycle riders who resisted using helmets.

Now think about Tesla Semi. To use that drivers much learn how to use touchscreens etc.

Given that today long-haul drivers in the US are increasingly Sikh, there may be a better outlook than before because the new generation is better educated and more adaptable. Large corporate fleets will, as they already are, experimenting. Mass adoption depends on driver acceptance, assuming FSD does not soon arrive in widespread use.

I admit it, there are serious analogies to the F-150 sized market in terms of readiness to change. Even if only 10% accept Semi that will rapidly become a major influence.

Tell that to Bloomberg.

afe30a55b92e7999571dbe1eeaafbd74.png

a105f2005849081baf73446ea973bc70.png

Meh. So in another week/month/year/whatever when TSLA is $1100/$1420/$9000/whatever they’ll have a market cap of 250B/333B/1T and it just won’t matter what Toyota bought/sold/holds/whatever.

It’s silly to squabble over a few billion in marketcap when one company is positioning for world domination and the other is splattering buy our ‘amazing hybrids’ commercials all over TV. I almost bit the dust. Note to self: don’t eat cake while watching TV.

Meh. So in another week/month/year/whatever when TSLA is $1100/$1420/$9000/whatever they’ll have a market cap of 250B/333B/1T and it just won’t matter what Toyota bought/sold/holds/whatever.

It’s silly to squabble over a few billion in marketcap when one company is positioning for world domination and the other is splattering buy our ‘amazing hybrids’ commercials all over TV. I almost bit the dust. Note to self: don’t eat cake while watching TV.
Spoken like a true multi-millionaire philanthropist!

Think Nikola picked fuel cell to differentiate themselves from Tesla because they know there are zero people out there thinks they have anything on Tesla. You can't out Elon and will look like a crazy person saying how you have some secret sauce. Fuel cell however is a mystery to a lot of people.

The company is totally fake. It's the equivalent of those online money guru subscription service. Their claims have always been "I give you all the material, all you need is to execute to be a millionaire". Slow clap for Nikola using the same business plan.
On the other hand remember that a Foul Cell is nothing but a battery electric vehicle that has a fuel cell in it to charge the batteries. That means Nikola can use the fuel cell to make up for their lack in battery expertise until such time batteries and megachargers become more available then just drop the fuel cell part. They just have to convince the trucking industry that there is no way to install a megacharger at their facilities and instead they should install tanks to hold hydrogen that will slowing bleed off thru the tank walls.

Thinking about Tesla and Nikola at sales pitch time seems to me to favor Tesla. Tesla has everything in their corner. They have proven they have superior batteries. They have proven they have superior chargers AND they can install them quickly. They have proven that their product gets better AFTER you purchase it. SO.... what is Nikola's sales pitch?