Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at my face. Do I look amused?

Nobody liked the Russian cat so I went for the American one. I’m going to buy a TSLA share for every time someone accuses me of being a Republican, Trump supporter, gun-shop owner, coal miner etc...since the demand shares are really slow in accumulating - I’m at 10 and we’re halfway through the quarter. Seriously disappointed in people.
I thought you had lithium mines on your islands? Are you burning coal to power the electrified fences now?

upload_2020-5-13_19-9-51.png

Nobody liked the Russian cat so I went for the American one. I’m going to buy a TSLA share for every time someone accuses me of being a Republican, Trump supporter, gun-shop owner, coal miner etc...since the demand shares are really slow in accumulating - I’m at 10 and we’re halfway through the quarter. Seriously disappointed in people.
Wow, only a gun sporting, trumpian, leftist would say something like that. (you can thank me later when I've made you 60k) For what it's worth I 100% agree with you, all these "names" just limit you as a person, not worth going down that rabbit hole. Explore all the viewpoints, make your own decisions.

On the topic of options, I feel like..."gambling" is an arbitrary term. I would say more along the lines of not knowing what you're doing with your money on the market is gambling. I've bought stock in companies I didn't understand and they went to 0 - gambling. I've bought options on companies I did understand without knowing options thoroughly - gambling. Now when I buy options, I just have to have a better idea of where the company is headed than the seller does. If you just buy options with no knowledge yeah, you'll likely lose 70-80% of the time.

With options it seems like the more money you have, the more conservative you can play, and higher chances of winning. Time is relatively cheap when you get into LEAPS vs short term. Suggestions would be to focus on buying LEAPS with realistic price targets and not getting too greedy, or if selling covered calls to sell weeklies probably far OTM again not too greedy. I feel very very good taking money from hedge funds, I've never heard of hedge funds helping anybody but their managers. I don't want to buy LEAPS from you guys and have you miss out on most of your potential profits.
My portfolio has exploded this year (in a good way) and y'know....buying jun2022 1000 leaps when they were $50 each on the ncov dip, hasn't felt like gambling in any sense, doesn't hurt that they're 210 right now, bet the sellers are already kicking themselves, could hit 1k within a month and I get to keep the gains beyond that for the next 2 years on their 100 shares.

To put it in perspective, sure a guy offering to sell 100 shares for 1000+50 if he acquired them at 400 is a very commendable trade,but is that $50/share really worth losing the potential 500-1500 upside from there? If Tesla closes at 2000 on jun 2022, the seller keeps $50/share and I would keep the remaining 950/share with my cost being 50. I think this is what @StealthP3D may have alluded to when he suggested selling calls on a stock like TSLA could be a rough lesson. You can say you'll be happy now to have 2.5x gains but when you left 5x on the table in exchange for a "free" 50$/share , well it wasn't very free after all (potentially).
Worse still, if you want to buy back your shares and you sold 100 for 1050, and they're now trading for 2000, you can only buy 52.5 shares, AND you'll have to pay taxes on your sale if in a taxable account.

To reiterate, your best odds are selling short term covered calls, or buying long term leaps. hodl.

(Call me what you will but if somebody wants to delta hedge my LEAPS I'm forcing them to buy 57 shares ($46,400) for every 21,000 I spend. So if delta hedged I've effectively purchased 2.2X what I could afford in shares) Does forcing somebody else to buy shares make me an investor? I don't know, the net result is positive that much is clear. I do own some shares though :oops:

Last edited:
Sometimes it's wise to not let a snake in the garden, especially if it has previously visited and offered an apple rotten to the core.

Yeah, I'm falling into the trap of trying to be helpful. Personally I saw nothing of value in his posting, but probably should have just done nothing. Having said that I would not vote to restore it or him. I will try harder to do nothing.

I have all the spreadsheets from NASDAQ/EDGAR for yesterday/today if you'd like to see more data.

Cheers!

I'd love to see more data.

I've been day trading the stock with ~20 shares. Some days are better than others. Today for example I bought right in, it shot up ~$5 and I sold. It was $96 in about 7 seconds. In general I wait till the 9:40 dip, which lately has been moving closer to 10am, buy and then ride that up till about noon.

I know some people, ahem, like to come at me bro for this approach but I'm simply looking to grind out more "free" TSLA shares to put into my long term pot. If I wasn't expecting dow 10,000 sooner than later than yeah I'd throw all my cash at TSLA and walk away for a few years. Sadly I'm expecting the worst with the macros and the best with Tesla which makes for some serious mental short circuitry. The best way forward, to me, is to have a set amount of ride or die shares that I'm holding till SP 20,000 and then day trade to add more into the bucket without touching my stack of cash ready to buy buildings in NYC for pennies on the dollar in a couple years. lol

So yeah, you clearly have some serious knowledge on this short term game and I'd love to learn more. I use Think or Swim platform. What kind of bands are you setting up? Are those just basic BBs? What indications should I look out for to predict this kind of thing in the future?

Maybe we should setup a new thread that discusses day trading this stock?

Thank you!

Best,
Gene

Yes, you likely missed the signal. TSLA exceeded the Upper-BB SP (840.73) just before 2020-05-12 11-06 hrs: (SP climbed just +$2.56 above that tgt SP to $843.29 by 11:20 am @ for the intraday High)
View attachment 541541

TSLA then descended to the Middle-BB by 2020-05-13 12:20 hrs:
View attachment 541542

BTW, even at 09:30 hrs this morning, the Middle-BB was at $764.93 (that SP was reached at some point during the 12:20 minute (the exact low SP was $764.30)

View attachment 541543

BONUS Points: Notice that on Tue, at the moment the SP hit the Upper-BB, the MIDDLE-BB was exactly $762.00 forming the basic parameters for a swing trade. How's that for 'clairvoyance'?

In summary, that's 25 hrs from High to Low, almost exactly matching the Upper- and Middle-BBs in time and price.

That's 840.73/764.93 = +9.91% meaning each 10 shares spawn an addtional share (plus a few extra to cover the croupier's take).

That's a swing trade. IMHO, risks are:
  • FOMO:
    • do this while you're ahead, so you don't feel rushed
    • don't bet the House; but bet enough so each swing nets a share when it executes
    • work in multiples of your base trade, until you can increment the base
    • if you have more available, constrain the range of the swing required to make a share (a 82% rge hits quite often, but does requires a 22% larger trade (ie: 13 shares spawn 1 today)
    • example: initiated today @ $820 while still anticpating a move to the Middle-BB, you would need to swing trade 40% more shares then when initiated at the Upper-BB, or 14 shares (+ fees) to spawn 1 share. Obvious multiples would then be 15 shares, 30, 60, etc. to spawn 1, 2, or 4 shares depending on your available capital/shares.
  • INTERNET/PWR failure:
    • you can enter your SELL/BUY orders at the same time, in advance, based on the trading channel (modify as needed during normal operations, or just constrain your req'd rge)
    • get a UPS + desktop PC / have a Cell Phone app
  • Black Swans:
    • yeah, you gotta expect 'em esp. w. TSLA (comes w. territory)
    • keep a long-term perspective (don't panic)
    • remain disciplined (tanked SP will recover, rockets will land)
    • it's "reversion to the trend", and "the trend is your friend"
I have all the spreadsheets from NASDAQ/EDGAR for yesterday/today if you'd like to see more data.

Cheers!

Great analysis.

Had I taken the upper band into consideration yesterday, I bought Jun 26 $825 calls for $85.20 when SP was around $835. TSLA was making a nice run, extending pre-market gains so definitely FOMO for me, and I lost my patience. They're down about $20 or so right now but I'm expecting a positive movement post-Battery Day, breaking the $900.

Biggest risk IMO is the macro environment.

I approve of the new cat.

Also, you're a Republican, Trump Supporter, gun-shop owner, and coal miner. You can thank me later :)

Long time Tesla investor here been hearing alot about vtiq I want to start nibbling on it I wasint here in the early days of Tesla how so did it compare to vtiq are you guys seeing similiarties or is it a bust like nio

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Could it turn into a meme stock like SPCE, and go up 2x, 3x, or 4x? Possibly.

Do I think they'll succeed long term, and become a big, profitable business? Hell no.

They seem to be all talk and PR, and very little show. The CEO seems to think he and his company are on Elon/Tesla's level, but if I'm not mistaken, they've yet to produce any actual customer vehicles.