Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is fairly simple. If you want to protect your gains, buy some puts against your shares. It's just like insurance. The longer out the puts are the more expensive they are so the bigger premium you will have to pay. This will protect your gains and still give you more profits if the stock goes higher, but your downside risk is limited.

Yea but puts look expensive right now. I will need to crunch some numbers to see which strikes/dates are reasonable.

My equivalent of this is --- keep sitting on the unrealized gains until my investment thesis is realized OR until I have enough unrealized gains so that after taxes, I have enough money to retire and be done working for a paycheck for life.

And at least for me, $500k is only a nice downpayment on that :)

yeahh, all i'll say to azaz is a half million bucks does not go nearly as far as you think it will.

The VW short squeeze graph and Tesla graph look pretty similar

Both were at around $200 months before they started rising
Both peaked at around $950

Volkswagen short squeeze was due to a rumor of a buyout with high short interest. It lasted two days and bottomed out when investors realize there were no buyout. This rise from 250 to $900 feels more like 2013 from $30 to $180, a slow burn that yielded a net of 6x. To compare it to today’s slow burn we are at 3.75x, a long way to go before 6x is achieved.

what’s different today than 2013? Lots, including profits and SP500, dare I say 7-8x?

I made so much money on short term options this week that my wife and I are now able to realize two long-standing dreams in what feels like the blink of an eye. Feels surreal. Thank you Elon and all Tesla employees, but just as importantly, thank you to the numerous invaluable members of this board. Seriously. Your contributions have helped change our lives and the lives of our children for the better.

The best part is that we're still holding plenty of TSLA. As said earlier today, this is just the beginning.

PS. Badge secured. :D

Oh man I could get this plate in CA. Should I?

showPlateImage.do

The rest of the business world is talking about Tsla stock price while Elon is focused on talent development&recruitment.

One of these things produces the other in perpetuity.
I don't think netflix AI is making its own video content, or amazon AI is making its own fake purses... And where is uber's AI to remove the driver? Current tesla valuation is reflecting AI and FSD, and no news remains about stationary storage and solar-- micro utility paradigm coming...

This is getting intense! I have all my friends and family telling me to sell. Everyday they are telling me. I’m getting so sick and tried of it. Some of them are investment analysts so they think they know better. They say I’m not reading the other side (short side). I’m not selling though. Until they give me a legitimate reason why then I won’t be selling my core shares. Anyone else hearing about this from loved ones?

The first rule of TSLA long is "Don't talk about TSLA long!!!!"

I wish I was a little more educated on how to protect gains. I've always just bought and held stock, and now here I am sitting on almost 500k of unrealized gains... wtf do I do? :eek:

I do not use margin, I don't need the money right now, and I'm under 40.

Same almost. Am 32, been in TSLA for 3 years, 280k unrealized gains currently, staying until goal met of at least 500k post capital gains, never owned a house & always owned 20 year old beater cars. Debating buying house + Model Y with gains, but so many things to consider I'm paralyzed into probably just holding forever - good ether way, I guess :)

Same almost. Am 32, been in TSLA for 3 years, 280k unrealized gains currently, staying until goal met of at least 500k post capital gains, never owned a house & always owned 20 year old beater cars. Debating buying house + Model Y with gains, but so many things to consider I'm paralyzed into probably just holding forever - good ether way, I guess :)
You only need a tiny bit of gains to buy a house. Let the bank lend you money at a tax deductible rate of 5% while you earn 100% a year with your TSLA stock. Same with the auto loan. It's not even that risky because you have access to those funds (even if something crazy happened most would still be there) if you needed them.

As a non Shareholder I am loving this crazyness.
For you long holders enjoy the hourly updates; though I would be tempted to sell 50% of shares that have been owned more than 12 months. Pocket some profit and think about buying back in (or grabbing some boring index funds) when it should dip to around 400-500 but who really knows.

Hourly?????

No need to tell us you're not a shareholder.