Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
need some advice....

have 116 TSLA shares I've accumulated over last 3 years that I intend to hold for 5+ years and also 20 2/28 1000 calls now up $180k and 13 3/20 1000c up ~140k that I bought a couple weeks for $8k total pre-earnings to play a possible squeeze.

trying to figure out my strategy from here, if it matters i'm young and jobless, tryna figure out my next path here in terms of long term gains and minimizing the tax hit and setting up my future
Make sure you find an accountant to see what you can do about taxes.

As far as selling or not. There are way better investors here than myself, but IMO as a young and jobless person your current equity in calls is enough to significantly transform your financial life. Somebody with 10 million in the bank might be ok letting them ride and hoping to gain even more, but they also wouldn't lose sleep if they lost them.

I like to think along the lines of, what will hurt me more, missing out on more gains (whatever I expect they could be) or losing what I currently have acquired? Many factors will decide on how you feel about that. Personally I closed out my calls today because it's too much volatility for my blood, they were worth about 60k in returns.

Another suggestion is to split the difference if you really want to keep gambling. Sell half now and lock in some crazy returns, keep half and see what they do.

Not investment advice, but maybe it's decent life advice. ;)

Nice calm trajectory now. About +$10/hr. Helps soothe the nerves.
Our nerves. The old and new shorts have to be slowly going nuts.

met some new co-workers a few weeks back, it came out that I am the guy that drives the purple Tesla. They asked if i had any stock, I said yes...... (didn't say how much, haha), someone mentioned it was up to $450, and two of them blurted out, "DUDE, SELL!"
didn't take their advice, obviously. it's surprising the amount of investment advice strangers are willing to dispense, and the quality is almost as good as what you'd get from a professional TV analyst.

Lol. My retirement savings managers are a couple and have become good friends. I go into Etrade after market opens this morning and a second after I see we are up another $120 I get a call from the husband. Literally before my dropped jaw had time to undrop.
A few minutes later I get an email from the wife. She had picked up some shares mid last year when the big climb was starting. Asks me if she should sell 1/2 of her shares to buy a Tesla. Told her DON'T sell but DO buy the car ASAP. Explained a bit why and included link to this mornings Ron Barron interview!

ihors.png

Matthew Unterman on Twitter

Make sure you find an accountant to see what you can do about taxes.

As far as selling or not. There are way better investors here than myself, but IMO as a young and jobless person your current equity in calls is enough to significantly transform your financial life. Somebody with 10 million in the bank might be ok letting them ride and hoping to gain even more, but they also wouldn't lose sleep if they lost them.

I like to think along the lines of, what will hurt me more, missing out on more gains (whatever I expect they could be) or losing what I currently have acquired? Many factors will decide on how you feel about that. Personally I closed out my calls today because it's too much volatility for my blood, they were worth about 60k in returns.

Another suggestion is to split the difference if you really want to keep gambling. Sell half now and lock in some crazy returns, keep half and see what they do.

Not investment advice, but maybe it's decent life advice. ;)

Our nerves. The old and new shorts have to be slowly going nuts.

thank you I appreciate it, I'm a bit like the dog who finally caught the car right now.

leaning towards exiting half the calls at 3:45 today

• Love
Reactions: X Fan and Pezpunk
need some advice....

have 116 TSLA shares I've accumulated over last 3 years that I intend to hold for 5+ years and also 20 2/28 1000 calls now up $180k and 13 3/20 1000c up ~140k that I bought a couple weeks for $8k total pre-earnings to play a possible squeeze.

trying to figure out my strategy from here, if it matters i'm young and jobless, tryna figure out my next path here in terms of long term gains and minimizing the tax hit and setting up my future
I'm hoping this is all in a nice tax-free Roth IRA. Roth IRA's rock!

I wish I was a little more educated on how to protect gains. I've always just bought and held stock, and now here I am sitting on almost 500k of unrealized gains... wtf do I do? :eek:

I do not use margin, I don't need the money right now, and I'm under 40.

My equivalent of this is --- keep sitting on the unrealized gains until my investment thesis is realized OR until I have enough unrealized gains so that after taxes, I have enough money to retire and be done working for a paycheck for life.

And at least for me, $500k is only a nice downpayment on that :)