Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for $2k less than a Y you get 0.3 seconds more acceleration, 20 more miles of range, an extra seat an adult could actually fit in, 10,000 lbs of towing capacity, and 16 inches of ground clearance for snow. Also, you can do all the pickup things like moving refrigerators. So the question I would have to ask myself is a conventional looking painted car really worth giving all that up? The pricing here is really interesting and I want to know how much is because of the body design and how much because of battery improvements that are coming. Anyway we aren’t buyers anytime soon but if I didn’t already have my 3 I think I’d be at least waiting to see if the Y gets a price cut before the truck comes out. For $100 obviously I’d put a reservation in.

Measure the slope angle of the rear cover. If its 17 degrees or less, I guarantee this was done for aerodynamics. Same as the empennage on an aircraft (or any airfoil), its done to avoid flow separation an the resulting turbulent drag. If fact, they should call this the F-117 Cybertruck.

Cheers!
Nah. It’s for radar invisibility. Go as fast as you like.

When it happened, I cringed. When he told Franz to do it again, I cringed more. As the show went on and those two smashed windows were visible I kept cringing. All I could think about was this morning's headlines.
But the strangest thing started to happen. My wife put it into words before I did. The damage actually looks cool. I think its the post apocalyptic design. The damage just looks like it belongs there.
It didn't occur to me what others have pointed out, that it makes the whole thing genuine.

I'm starting a new business ... I'll sell window stickers mimicking cracked glass.
Trademark!

Sadly, you're too late. You can already get all kinds of damaged glass stickers and I occasionally seem them on vehicles around here.

edit: also, ones for mimicking bullet holes in the body, etc.
Yeah, they usually have a baseball or softball embedded in them. Too funny! Just replace the ball with a giant steel bearing and you're all set! LOL!

Dan

On reflection, I think Tesla could produce as many Cybertrucks they could manage and yet remain production constrained if they would sell them in Russia, where:
1) Carjacking is common,
2) Roads are crap,
3) Pedestrian safety is not a priority,
4) Masculinity is fragile and in need of a boost.
Okay, maybe I'm getting on in years, but I'll keep insisting its because I watched Mad Max at an impressionable age. ;)

Brutalism can be minimal or maximal:

Yeah, I just updated my comment with two mosaics of common Brutalist vs. Minimalist architectural examples - I think it's pretty clear that the Cybertruck is much closer to a minimalist style, but obviously there's a lot of overlap. Brutalist requires almost pointlessly edgy, aggressive shapes whose only purpose is to create a strong reaction.

The Cybertruck only has shapes where it must - as @KarenRei said it might even benefit from a few more subtly placed creases.

I also expect stainless steel polishing and etching to be a new after-market specialty in high demand. Acid etching of stainless steel is an ancient art, with stunning results:

upload_2019-11-22_15-29-5.png

I believe Tesla did well that they didn't even etch a Tesla logo on it - you get it as a white canvas.

For Christmas if like to see the Tesla Board get Elon a fulltime PR/MC rep who can handle most of the talking and design/keep the pace of these events. Like a professional wedding planner.

Aesthetic vehicle design should not be dictated by an engineer. (now sorted via Berlin design hub)

Event design and execution should not be handled by an engineer.

well, I'm weak and the $100 is fully refundable. I've got a reservation now as well.

It's almost worth the $100 to have it staring back at you in your Tesla account.

Whelp, I added a small number of trading shares at $341 in premarket to play the [hopefully] inevitable recovery, though I'm prepared for more pain first. Regardless of thoughts on the looks, stainless steel, etc, the implications for Tesla's core powertrain costs are incredibly impressive.

Yeah, I just updated my comment with two mosaics of common Brutalist vs. Minimalist architectural examples - I think it's pretty clear that the Cybertruck is much closer to a minimalist style, but obviously there's a lot of overlap. Brutalist requires almost pointlessly edgy, aggressive shapes whose only purpose is to create a strong reaction.

The Cybertruck only has shapes where it must - as @KarenRei said it might even benefit from a few more subtly placed creases.

I also expect stainless steel polishing and etching to be a new after-market specialty in high demand. Acid etching of stainless steel is an ancient art, with stunning results:

I believe Tesla did well that they didn't even etch a Tesla logo on it - you get it as a white canvas.

Yeah CyberTruck is definitely minimalist. The aspect of brutalism that it adopts is its angularity and its cold lack of humanity which Brutalism was ultimately discarded because of (not the excessive display of concrete).

A good architecture analogy to make your point would be comparing the CyberTruck to modernism:

Modern architecture - Wikipedia

> Modern architecture, or modernist architecture, was based upon new and innovative technologies of construction, particularly the use of glass, steel and reinforced concrete; the idea that form should follow function (→functionalism); an embrace of minimalism; and a rejection of ornament.

Part of this push to minimalism in architecture was because of the Baroque/Rococo/etc movements before it which were so ornamental. In a way with modernism and the Bauhaus style of architecture they swung too far in compensation.

I should also point out a few additional links between Brutalism ideology and the CyberTruck. Firstly, the designers who started the Brutalist movement said 'it is our intention in this building to have the structure exposed entirely, without interior finishes wherever practicable.' Also part of the allure of brutalism was the rugged aspect of it. Finally, it was pushed as a socially progressive design for modern housing, not unlike EVs are socially progressive.

Last edited: