Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so excited to own a Plaid S...

I've been lusting after a Space X Roadster for a long time, but always with lingering hypothetical-regret about its only being a 2-seater.

I'm not a rich man (yet), but thankfully have become a disciplined and focussed one.
If I can only buy one Tesla in the next couple years, I'll be EXTREMELY STOKED to have a Plaid S. So seriously awesome...

I was surprised when I saw this video

Even in July they managed only about 750kWh for solar for the whole month. For us - including charging and air conditioning - we go through that in about ten days. As we live much farther north, solar would even be less beneficial for us. For a lot of us I don't think solar is the answer.
Then get more panels

Lol, not even TESLA can produce enough EVs in 2020-21 to mitigate FCA's emissions improvement needs. And PSA had EVEN HIGHER fleet average CO2 emissions in 2018 (posted here yesterday). They're both in the hurt locker, and together they will still max out Tesla's ability to supply zero-emissions vehicles in the EuroZone.

Their real hope for obtaining sufficient carbon offsets lies with a sucessful and rapid GF4 rampup. Then they need to hope like hell for technology transfer from an overly-generous (even charitable) Tesla board.

Otherwise, its 'la mort' for Groupe PSA and 'arrivederci' for FCA. They will be fortunate to survive the next 10 years. They face at least as much risk as Tesla did over the last 10 years, but more time pressure to scale up production. And they have to remain solvent while killing off their own ICE business.

I give them 1 chance in 3.

All the classic car vendors are between 20 and 30 gram CO2/km above the EU limit. Which means a fine of 2000 to 3000 euro average per car. The most likely outcome is that the car vendors will increase their car prices by 2000 to 3000 euro, which keeps their relative competitive situation intact. The competition will come from Tesla, by closing the price gap by 2000 and 3000 euro, and getting god knows how many euro from FCA/PSA for free.

The Raven badge says "Dual Motor" - the pre-Raven says "P100D". The Performance models have red brake calipers. Hard to miss clues.

Btw., Top Gear's "clarification" didn't specify whether they put the Raven into "Launch Mode":

Top Gear has a long history of "entertaining" at the expense of Tesla, in favor of ICE carmakers.

As for all future Top Gear claims: notarized video or it didn't happen ...

Thank you for the answer.

Reactions: replicant and kbM3
This just came in my email, is it true or is it FUD? Whats the problem? Its money in the bank.

Shout out to TMC being referenced in the article as "Tesla Forums".

Did Tesla Release an Unfinished Smart Summon as an Accounting Trick? | Digital Trends

During the Q3 earnings call with investors, company leaders called out $30 million of the $143 million profit recorded was due to the release of Smart Summon on September 26. Every Tesla buyer can pay $6,000 for the ability to add self-driving to their vehicles — and many did: The company has collected roughly $500 million in total from customers for self-driving features.

But because no Tesla is actually fully autonomous yet, the company cannot, under general accounting rules and practices, count all of that money as revenue. Instead, it must hold those monies in a special accounting category called “deferred revenue.”
As portions of the self-driving functionality are released, they can release a portion of the money and count it as revenue.

This just came in my email, is it true or is it FUD? Shout out to TMC being referenced in the article as "Tesla Forums".

Did Tesla Release an Unfinished Smart Summon as an Accounting Trick? | Digital Trends

During the Q3 earnings call with investors, company leaders called out $30 million of the $143 million profit recorded was due to the release of Smart Summon on September 26. Every Tesla buyer can pay $6,000 for the ability to add self-driving to their vehicles — and many did: The company has collected roughly $500 million in total from customers for self-driving features.

But because no Tesla is actually fully autonomous yet, the company cannot, under general accounting rules and practices, count all of that money as revenue. Instead, it must hold those monies in a special accounting category called “deferred revenue.”
As portions of the self-driving functionality are released, they can release a portion of the money and count it as revenue.
I don't know, I'm sooooo concerned. Maybe we should all sell our $TSLA and call it a day.

Try harder, I'm sure you can do it.

This just came in my email, is it true or is it FUD? Whats the problem? Its money in the bank.

Shout out to TMC being referenced in the article as "Tesla Forums".

Mathematicians still trying to understand how Tesla turned a profit. Everyone wants a scandal but Tesla is already under that microscope so good luck.

Mathematicians still trying to understand how Tesla turned a profit. Everyone wants a scandal but Tesla is already under that microscope so good luck.

anonyx on Twitter

Finally had a chance to (1) take a closer at Tesla’s Q3 results, and (2) see whether the shorts have any sane critiques of the quarter that stand up to scrutiny. Overall, Tesla’s numbers still look amazing to my eyes, and the answer to the latter question is largely “No”!

I was surprised when I saw this video

Even in July they managed only about 750kWh for solar for the whole month. For us - including charging and air conditioning - we go through that in about ten days. As we live much farther north, solar would even be less beneficial for us. For a lot of us I don't think solar is the answer.

She fails to give the kW rating of the system. 15 panels.
We’re planning a new house with a 40 panel 10kW system (roughly 10,000 Australian dollars). So let’s assume they installed less than 4kW.
They either need a bigger system or to improve the efficiency of their energy use.
As the price of panels falls and falls, the viability of solar creeps outwards from the equator.

Ihor
upload_2019-10-31_14-14-31.png

I'm constantly amazed by the stupidity of people. The benefit of moving pollution away from ground level and cities out to power plants is also a great point to combat the "huuurr ur car is run bY cOaL" crowd.

Just ask them when did they last smell coal plant fumes vs a diesel truck idling right in front of them.

I'm constantly amazed by the stupidity of people. The benefit of moving pollution away from ground level and cities out to power plants is also a great point to combat the "huuurr ur car is run bY cOaL" crowd.

Sure, reducing my life by 1 or 2 percent is a factor.
But reducing the grandkids lives by 10 or 20 percent is a bigger factor.
Reducing the opportunity of their children to inherit a planet which supports them, to nil, is a bigger factor still.
Air pollution direct health effects is the lesser factor than the enhanced greenhouse effect + ocean acidification, *mathmatically*. By a lot.

You mean this?

"The best figures we recorded for the Tesla Model S Performance were:

0-60: 2.83
0-100: 6.64
¼ mile: 11.23s @ 123.2mph

The numbers we posted in the video for the Tesla were:

0-60: 2.68
0-100: 6.46
¼ mile: 11.08s @ 124.0mph

These were numbers we recorded in a Model S on a previous occasion. We ran them because these are the best figures we’ve achieved in a Model S to date so we know that’s what the car is capable of."

They did Tesla a solid. To be frank,Top Gear should NOT have done that. That alone opens them to scrutiny and suspicion.

Watch the DragTimes video posted earlier. That guy owns the DragTimes website and a bunch of exotics. He knows drag racing. He has tons of documented official times that are 1/2 sec faster in the 1/4 mi. And Top Gear never does Tesla a solid.