Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't say that

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/peugeot-e-208-ev-takes-25-percent-of-new-models-pre-orders/

64da9aaf-peugeot-208-and-e-208-768x512.jpg

Peugeot to introduce Expert EV | CarAdvice

d38e97e5dfc23a262739bdb18c75e9db.jpg

This merger talk is back on after talks fell through earlier this year.

Assuming FCA were to merge with Peugeot, would that change the amount or timing or even the necessity of the EU-ordered monies FCA is supposed to start paying Tesla in 2020?

• Helpful
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Why have blackouts specifically in areas that are susceptible to wildfires and dry heat (with a lot of brush and trees) such as Northern California? Further, October is also prime season for harvesting of grapes that Napa Valley would center their economy on (from what I read).

Happy to be wrong here, just think it's odd for CA to be undergoing significant blackouts at the same time as a very-much-known season for natural disasters such as wildfires.
Because - the fires from last year were caused by P&G transmission wires so P&G has to pay out a lot for the damages. They want to prevent a recurrence of it this year.

Finally the climate change will be addressed when corporations find the damages too costly to bear. Until then we will see just inaction.

Happy to be wrong here, just think it's odd for CA to be undergoing significant blackouts at the same time as a very-much-known season for natural disasters such as wildfires.
The blackouts are to prevent the wildfires, not because of a lack of electric generation. Basically the CA electric companies haven't properly maintained the transmission lines (hurray privatization) so they are prone to create wildfires. I don't see anything odd about it.

Because - the fires from last year were caused by P&G transmission wires so P&G has to pay out a lot for the damages. They want to prevent a recurrence of it this year.

So much for that plan...

Back on topic: trees! It looks like Treelon got Jack Dorsey to join up...

Screenshot_20191029-195238.png

I've also donated (a few fewer than Treelon, but...), and you fine folks should toss a few fivers in, too. It's been a good week for TSLA holders, anyway.

So, Elon just donated a million trees to that 20 million trees campaign... 5% of the entire total.

Elon Musk on Twitter

LOVE IT! :)

I’m sure he did the due diligence to check they were above board. There will inevitably be scammers in this zone. It’s too easy to produce some stock footage of trees and say “look at your beautiful trees”, or shoot the same million trees from 5 angles and claim 5 million trees. I also note that trees planted not equals trees grown. Care required!

My concern would be how do they guarantee the planted trees won't be wiped out?
If they plant in Amazon, those farmers don't care, they just burn them by square miles; if you watch Season 2 "Rotten" on Netflix, in Africa farmers wipe out officially protected forests and plant their cocoa trees there(used to make chocolate) to supplement their income, so those national parks only exist on paper...

Tesla can't cut cost that fast. All I can see is Model 3 cost may drop 20~30% in the next 3 years while improving quality and features. They could remove great audio, remove glass roof, reduce range, those won't cut cost by a lot. I don't think Tesla will ever sell $25k cars. The $35k Model 3 is equivalent to $25k ICE cars once gasoline cost is considered.

Potentially, can be a smaller car with smaller battery, 150m range. Why not? Some may be fine with just the local city driving. For countries like India etc. with lower incomes. You can still enjoy the Tesla ecosystem (software, supercharging, OTA), which is cool.

I seriously doubt that you will EVER see a $25K Tesla with FSD. Once true driverless FSD is available it very well could be a $25K option all by itself. I really think the very long term goal for them is to discourage private ownership in favor of a cheap, easy, efficient robotaxi network. This fits the mission statement to a T I think.

Get 'em while you still can!

Dan

Long term yes, agree. But legally it may still be years away. We have winter weather currently and I keep getting all these warnings - this feature temporarily unavailable, that one unavailable...can be a challenge. IDK if spraying cameras with that magic solution is going to be a permanent fix.

Last edited:
In 2Q19, Tesla delivered 89,214 non-lease new vehicles and increased the warranty reserve by $153.2 million or $1,717/delivered vehicle.
In 3Q19, Tesla delivered 88,100 non-lease new vehicles and increased the warranty reserve by $1,38.0 million or $1,566/delivered vehicle.
Also the expensed warranty costs for leased vehicles decreased from $5.7 million in Q2 to $4 million in Q3.

These reductions are in addition to the $37 million reduction in prior period reserves.

Sustainable?
It is if they continue to make better quality cars which I think they are doing.

Exactly. The action Greta asks is to have legislation to demand the polluters/corporations to pay their damage. Only then we will see tangible solutions against climate change.

Finally the climate change will be addressed when corporations find the damages too costly to bear. Until then we will see just inaction.

In 2Q19, Tesla delivered 89,214 non-lease new vehicles and increased the warranty reserve by $153.2 million or $1,717/delivered vehicle.
In 3Q19, Tesla delivered 88,100 non-lease new vehicles and increased the warranty reserve by $1,38.0 million or $1,566/delivered vehicle.
Also the expensed warranty costs for leased vehicles decreased from $5.7 million in Q2 to $4 million in Q3.

These reductions are in addition to the $37 million reduction in prior period reserves.

Sustainable?
Warranty Accruals per Vehicle Sold, 19 July 2018
Given that they're still putting in over 4 times the reserve of GM and Ford I'd say that even the trend is sustainable.

The blackouts are to prevent the wildfires, not because of a lack of electric generation. Basically the CA electric companies haven't properly maintained the transmission lines (hurray privatization) so they are prone to create wildfires. I don't see anything odd about it.

Sounds good. This is what happens when you have 1-3 too many cabernet sauvignon's in you over dinner :).

I really hate this over-used expression. The big car companies aren't "sleeping giants". IMO, they are fat, lazy, over-confident morons, who are too top heavy with management that can't won't change unless forced to, and saddled with the burdens of unions who don't want EV's, and huge investments in factories and equipment to only build ICE vehicles.

Hi. Can I copy and paste this into wherever I can so morons who have no clue might get this?

I really like your explanation a LOT.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Sorry but no. The glass panel Tesla uses is expensive. Metal is probably 1/10 the price. Simpler to build too. But Tesla would need to make a large number of them for it to be worth it. It probably won’t make sense in Fremont but only in a new factory where it was part of the plan.

I guess, produced en mass, the glass roof ain't that much of a price burden.
Also, I strongly feel that its purpose is much more than cost more than cheaper 'alternatives'

Anybody read the first portion of Bloomberg's Model 3 owner survey? Just came out this afternoon. Very deceiving IMHO. Looks to me like the 3 compared very well to the industry, but you would never know it to read this. Recommend everyone check it out.

My concern is that its a self selecting survey, and anyone can participate if they enter any old VIN number. No doubt plenty of TSLAQ trolls got in there.

Warranty Accruals per Vehicle Sold, 19 July 2018
Given that they're still putting in over 4 times the reserve of GM and Ford I'd say that even the trend is sustainable.
Latest American Auto Warranty Expenses, 18 July 2019 7/18/2019

At the end of 2018, GM had a capacity of 31 months, or just over 2-1/2 years. Tesla had a capacity of 37 months, or just over three years. But Ford, because its claims rate rose last year while its reserve balance fell, was down to only 12 months at the end of 2018, though it rose to 16 months in the first quarter of 2019.

Claim Rate
fig2.png

Accrual Rate
fig4.png

Accrual per Vehicle
fig5.png

Last edited: