Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT

Do you guys have those days where you just feel euphoric? Like everything is gonna be ok? That's the feeling I have tonight about Tesla, this quarter's deliveries, and the state of the world.

It'll probably be gone tomorrow, but it feels good tonight. We're gonna win this fight. Right always beats wrong. Always.

It's been 6 years now that I've fought this fight - 2178 posts on Fox News articles trying to convince even one person. 674 posts post on WSJ for the same. I only pray that my efforts are not in vain. Regardless, I will continue the good fight.

EDIT: Moderators, please feel free to move this post to the "passion" thread. We may not all agree on everything, but our passion for Tesla is unrivaled. So put me in the passion thread.

Just to use myself as an example. When I roadtrip I often don’t plan ahead. As I sit in a Supercharger between previous and my next destination I open google maps, search for “tesla destination charger” at my next destination, check which of the main hotels has one, check in google maps if they have availability and good reviews and book through hotels.com, then I continue my drive. A lot of us millennials are very lazy with planning and expect things to just work out and prefer to be in the moment as long as possible.

I can see there being a business case to try to understand. The question is, if we need to stop 15-40min(instead of 5min for gas) what do we want to do? Drink coffee? Use our laptops/iPads? Eat a quick meal? Have a foot massage? Wash and style of our hair/get a haircut? I think there will be some rethinking about the business idea around petrol/charging stations. Also remember that in 10years there likely will be 10x as many people needing charging compared to today. I can see semi big supercharging parking lots with tons of small shops around them with starbucks, chipotle, amazon go etc along the highways in a not too distant time frame.

Coffee, breakfast and a big screen that can connect to gaming devices. Millenials tech types grew up on gaming. I can see arcades getting popular in these places. Also quiet places for work. Think WeWork for Tesla. Anyway, this might be possible when the population of Tesla owners gets even bigger.

To continue on the theme of the future I see where FSD will enable people to just live in their cars. A shower. But this is much later and might be too much for a charging stop because now cleaning the showers is going to be a drag.

Just to use myself as an example. When I roadtrip I often don’t plan ahead. As I sit in a Supercharger between previous and my next destination I open google maps, search for “tesla destination charger” at my next destination, check which of the main hotels has one, check in google maps if they have availability and good reviews and book through hotels.com, then I continue my drive. A lot of us millennials are very lazy with planning and expect things to just work out and prefer to be in the moment as long as possible.

I can see there being a business case to try to understand. The question is, if we need to stop 15-40min(instead of 5min for gas) what do we want to do? Drink coffee? Use our laptops/iPads? Eat a quick meal? Have a foot massage? Wash and style of our hair/get a haircut? I think there will be some rethinking about the business idea around petrol/charging stations. Also remember that in 10years there likely will be 10x as many people needing charging compared to today. I can see semi big supercharging parking lots with tons of small shops around them with starbucks, chipotle, amazon go etc along the highways in a not too distant time frame.

I am surprised Tesla has not done this more with busy Superchargers. I would think while capital intensive to build these travel centers on major interstates or busy urban areas, it would be a nice source of future revenue. If not, companies like WAWA (?) or in my area Buccees will take the ball and run with it.

Lol - I just summed up the known July and August Model 3 numbers from Europe, plus the September numbers for the realtime countries. So no "final week of rush" in the realtime countries and no entire final month (e.g. the big month) in the others. The total? 17506.

Meanwhile, Q2 was 18339 *for the whole quarter*.

That is to say: if the non-realtime countries delivered *zero* in September, and the realtime countries just suddenly stopped delivering tomorrow... we'd *still* have almost as many European Model 3 deliveries as all of Q2 ;)

First of all many thanks for your consistent high quality posts. I think, that this time an error occurred in your sum, as it seems like you double counted the model 3 in NL+NO+SP from July and August.

We have 8876 model 3 in July and August all over Europe (incl. UK)
Source: Tesla Europe Registration Stats

For September realtime in NL+NO+SP so far 5748 according to EU-EVS.com.

Total: 14624

However, I totally agree with you that we will reach new records in Europe this quarter.

I am surprised Tesla has not done this more with busy Superchargers. I would think while capital intensive to build these travel centers on major interstates or busy urban areas, it would be a nice source of future revenue. If not, companies like WAWA (?) or in my area Buccees will take the ball and run with it.
Previously it did not make sense. When you have arrived at supercharger along a highway, how many more cars charging have there been there? 1-8? Not really a great business case for a hair saloon. Scale this from 0.1% market share to 20% market share (along the highways) for EVs and suddenly it is a much stronger business case.

Tesla has been very busy growing a new market from zero to a few percentages in some areas. I think the first ones will pop up on highways with >200miles between two major destinations which both have a high EV penetration. SF/LA in a few years? Norway not densely populated enough, not sure what destination the Dutch would go to, maybe China will be first with this?

Reactions: Off Shore
then the SEC themselves are then active participants in the campaign to worsen our air, worsen our climate and to take down tesla.
Not sure how you could ever reach that conclusion. /S

SEC Drops Probe of Exxon’s Climate-Change Disclosures

"Aug 3, 2018 - The SEC dropped a probe into whether Exxon Mobil misled investors about ... WASHINGTON—Securities regulators dropped an investigation into whether ... in a Thursday letter informed Exxon that it closed the probe and decided against ... to account for climate impacts that differed from public statements."​

#ExxonKnew

Previously it did not make sense. When you have arrived at supercharger along a highway, how many more cars charging have there been there? 1-8? Not really a great business case for a hair saloon. Scale this from 0.1% market share to 20% market share (along the highways) for EVs and suddenly it is a much stronger business case.

Tesla has been very busy growing a new market from zero to a few percentages in some areas. I think the first ones will pop up on highways with >200miles between two major destinations which both have a high EV penetration. SF/LA in a few years? Norway not densely populated enough, not sure what destination the Dutch would go to, maybe China will be first with this?

Not 100% sure that I am right, but this is a personal hobby horse of mine...

With Megacharging it makes sense to have a "middle of nowhere" location connected to a solar farm no more than 5-10 miles away..
That can have:-
  • 20 Megacharger stalls.
  • 50 Supercharger stalls.
  • 50 CCS stalls for non-Tesla's
  • 50 destination chargers for an extra top up...
This can have restaurants, shops and truckers lounge with showers, a regular lounge with bathrooms.... walking and/or cycle tracks.

So this can be a destination, and Supercharging or CCS changing can be cheaper than normal at this site, creating an incentive to stop for breakfast, lunch, dinner or coffee.

This kind of site is capital intensive to set up but can be profitable in many ways including the Solar Farm selling electrcity to the grid..

And if the grid goes down, it can island, and the chargers can keep getting new solar energy during the day.,..

My only question would be if Tesla wants to invest the kind of money needed to get this up and running.

Do you guys have those days where you just feel euphoric? Like everything is gonna be ok? That's the feeling I have tonight about Tesla, this quarter's deliveries, and the state of the world.

Classic carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms.

j/k, I know what you mean. Every time I’m frustrated about a random $TSLA price drop, I see a new Tesla in the parking lot at work. Bought more at 220 today.

When you have arrived at supercharger along a highway, how many more cars charging have there been there? 1-8? Not really a great business case for a hair saloon.

upload_2019-9-25_20-29-18.png

Not sure how you could ever reach that conclusion. /S

SEC Drops Probe of Exxon’s Climate-Change Disclosures

"Aug 3, 2018 - The SEC dropped a probe into whether Exxon Mobil misled investors about ... WASHINGTON—Securities regulators dropped an investigation into whether ... in a Thursday letter informed Exxon that it closed the probe and decided against ... to account for climate impacts that differed from public statements."​

#ExxonKnew
I’m sure with the right resources this would be a very simple batch file Up to 1 kaylock of code: natural language processor plus AI engine easy to search teslaq with cross reference to post on short selling and hyperbole and/or false claims.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Not 100% sure that I am right, but this is a personal hobby horse of mine...

With Megacharging it makes sense to have a "middle of nowhere" location connected to a solar farm no more than 5-10 miles away..
That can have:-
  • 20 Megacharger stalls.
  • 50 Supercharger stalls.
  • 50 CCS stalls for non-Tesla's
  • 50 destination chargers for an extra top up...
This can have restaurants, shops and truckers lounge with showers, a regular lounge with bathrooms.... walking and/or cycle tracks.

So this can be a destination, and Supercharging or CCS changing can be cheaper than normal at this site, creating an incentive to stop for breakfast, lunch, dinner or coffee.

This kind of site is capital intensive to set up but can be profitable in many ways including the Solar Farm selling electrcity to the grid..

And if the grid goes down, it can island, and the chargers can keep getting new solar energy during the day.,..

My only question would be if Tesla wants to invest the kind of money needed to get this up and running.

Whatever happened to the Santa Monica supercharger / burger joint with waiting staff on roller skates? It was 18-months ago that the permit was approved:

Tesla files permit for ‘restaurant and Supercharger station’ in Santa Monica

That wouldn’t increase their market, just make it decrease less. Said people in apartments likely already have gas cars that have to be filled up for all 3 reasons at gas stations. If apartment dwellers don’t have access to charging at home or work, then they have to fill up their cars exactly like they already are. I suppose most Tesla’s have lower range than most gas cars, so they might make such visits a bit more often, but I can’t imagine that’ll be enough to counteract the wholesale loss of all homeowners and others who can charge at home/work as regular customers.
I'll agree to disagree but we'll see...

Coffee, breakfast and a big screen that can connect to gaming devices. Millenials tech types grew up on gaming. I can see arcades getting popular in these places. Also quiet places for work. Think WeWork for Tesla. Anyway, this might be possible when the population of Tesla owners gets even bigger.

To continue on the theme of the future I see where FSD will enable people to just live in their cars. A shower. But this is much later and might be too much for a charging stop because now cleaning the showers is going to be a drag.
Good reason to have a Supercharger at a YMCA!

"when in “Range” mode, if I hammered the throttle, there was a tiny bit of hesitation before the electric thrusters shot the Taycan down the street."

Oh, I think I knew this already, but it's nice to have confirmation. There is no big shame in being a Porsche apologist, particularly if you are sticking to the facts.

So, does Porsche rate the range only in "Range Mode"?

And if you hammer the throttle in regular mode does the hesitation go away? One thing I like a lot about my Model 3 is there is no perceptible hesitation in any mode. Even in "Chill" mode it doesn't hesitate, it just softens the power delivery. And I see no use for that, even if I'm trying to get better than average range.

I wish the Taycan was a little more competitive because I want to be surrounded by excellent EV's, not belching gas cars.

Oh, I think I knew this already, but it's nice to have confirmation. There is no big shame in being a Porsche apologist, particularly if you are sticking to the facts.

So, does Porsche rate the range only in "Range Mode"?

And if you hammer the throttle in regular mode does the hesitation go away? One thing I like a lot about my Model 3 is there is no perceptible hesitation in any mode. Even in "Chill" mode it doesn't hesitate, it just softens the power delivery. And I see no use for that, even if I'm trying to get better than average range.

I wish the Taycan was a little more competitive because I want to be surrounded by excellent EV's, not belching gas cars.

it probably had little to do with being in "range mode". it was probably switching gears, which it would be likely do regardless of mode, if one was driving sedately and then hammered it. (it has a 2-speed transmission)

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceCash