Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT (kind of).

This isn't directly Tesla related, but the VW ID range is currently having a big reveal event at IAA (Frankfurt International Motor Show). Focussed largely on the ID.3. Volkswagen live Have been watching it live and I have to say I like the way they're presenting this as a better alternative to ICE vehicles. An alternative to the VW Golf, for example. I think this is very important to help educate consumers about how viable EVs can be and fit into their lives. They aren't going on about other EVs very much and aren't pitting it against them, it's very much this vs. ICE alternatives.

I am suprised how much of a marketing push VW is putting behind this car. It was stated they (VW) would be ok if this car success came at the ICE models.

I'm so tired of these autopilot headlines.

Tesla driver sleeps as car speeds along Massachusetts highway, video appears to show

It should read "amazingly, driver falls asleep while driving and Tesla autopilot prevents a deadly crash". That said, anyone caught using a autopilot buddy or sleeping while driving should have their autopilot software license revoked permanently. Hurting the brand and endangering everyone.

It should read "Tesla drivers exceed the national average for hours of sleep per night--always arrive at destination well-rested and refreshed!".

That’s strange. The Dutch have also decided to ban ICE cars by 2030. Which EU regulation would prevent them and the Danes from doing so? But even if the EU says no for whatever twisted reason the government can simply decide to tax the hell out of ICE cars. A 1000% polution tax sounds about right to me.

The reason why it is against EU laws governing the common market, apparently is that once a vehicle is approved in one member state, it is automatically approved for sale in all the other member states as well.

What's the difference with the proposals from 2018? Is it the case that it got passed by Danish Parliament and this is the next step?

Yes. It is an attempt to overcome the obstacle mentioned above.
It is specifically mentioned that the Netherlands, France, Spain, Eire, and Sweden have similar plans with dates ranging from 2030 to 2040.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: humbaba and Lessmog
I am suprised how much of a marketing push VW is putting behind this car. It was stated they (VW) would be ok if this car success came at the ICE models.

Given that sales of ICE cars will be banned in many parts Europe starting in the next decade or so, plus with progressive bans for older cars already in place for many cities, you bet they need to succeed.

At least over here, I would have though they would sell as many as they can make. Europe is desperate for decent small hatch-back EV's - look how well the Zoë sells, and that's a Renault, FFS, VW's brand image, despite diesel-gate, is way above.

I've said many times, if Tesla bring a compact hatch to market at a competitive price, it's game over.

Reactions: Scuttlebutt
Delivery date??? Come on...!!! :)

Q1 2020 :( Still hoping for earlier, but it sounds like the operating plan - barring some sort of crash in demand elsewhere - is that there won't be enough supply for us until GF3 comes online. :(

OK. Whose referral code did you use? :p

It was a really hard decision, as there's so many great people here and elsewhere that I've interacted with. Ultimately however I decided to give back to the people who'd been donating to help with my forestry project, and used the code of the top donor.

This is something like 12 times more than I've ever paid for a car in my life. ;)

Last edited:
The reason why it is against EU laws governing the common market, apparently is that once a vehicle is approved in one member state, it is automatically approved for sale in all the other member states as well.

Yes. It is an attempt to overcome the obstacle mentioned above.
It is specifically mentioned that the Netherlands, France, Spain, Eire, and Sweden have similar plans with dates ranging from 2030 to 2040.

I think we need an EU strategy for this, but Italy, France and Germany would likely resist mighty.

However, I do believe consumers will vote with their €'s. ICE vehicles will become as antisocial as smoking and drink-driving, the younger generation will demand EV's, or even not bother to buy, relying on shared transportation - which is a phenomena we see a lot already in the cities here not only with cycles and scooters, but short-term hire cars too.

I'm so tired of these autopilot headlines.

Tesla driver sleeps as car speeds along Massachusetts highway, video appears to show

It should read "amazingly, driver falls asleep while driving and Tesla autopilot prevents a deadly crash". That said, anyone caught using a autopilot buddy or sleeping while driving should have their autopilot software license revoked permanently. Hurting the brand and endangering everyone.

72k crashes a year and 6k fatalities per year due to drowsy drivers in the U.S. Your assumption is people are sleeping at the wheel BECAUSE of AP. Not that people would have slept regardless what car they drive. You'll never find anyone video taping someone sleeping at the wheel of an ICE car because they would have crashed between 5-10 seconds into dosing off.

Can we all just take a second and realize that VW totally looked at the TM3 interior and they are like Perfect.. except lets tape a center display behind the wheel that looks as thought out as the bell attachment on an old bikes handlebars. Ill be more excited when they start taking orders and put them in peoples hands.

The delay and release all at once to me says they are trying to break all the daily/monthly/quarterly EV sales records by waiting and handing them all over at once. Hopefully, it goes smoothly cause suddenly putting that many in peoples hands will definitely increase the risk of a serious issue that is missed in small batch testing.

I However, I do believe consumers will vote with their €'s. ICE vehicles will become as antisocial as smoking and driving....
Oh god I hope so sooner than later because I am so sick of walking into our public parking garage and having to inhale the exhaust fumes stench. When will we have zero emission only parking garages ? I would pay at least $25 more per month for that.

Can we all just take a second and realize that VW totally looked at the TM3 interior and they are like Perfect.. except lets tape a center display behind the wheel that looks as thought out as the bell attachment on an old bikes handlebars. Ill be more excited when they start taking orders and put them in peoples hands.

The delay and release all at once to me says they are trying to break all the daily/monthly/quarterly EV sales records by waiting and handing them all over at once. Hopefully, it goes smoothly cause suddenly putting that many in peoples hands will definitely increase the risk of a serious issue that is missed in small batch testing.
Haven't seen inside picks, but outside looks like marriage b/w Prius and Volt

Haven't seen inside picks, but outside looks like marriage b/w Prius and Volt
Volkswagen_ID.3_-10151.jpg

...Europe is desperate for decent small hatch-back EV's - look how well the Zoë sells, and that's a Renault, FFS, VW's brand image, despite diesel-gate, is way above.

I've said many times, if Tesla bring a compact hatch to market at a competitive price, it's game over.
Maybe as sole output of GF Euro, but sales of those would be terrible in the US.

• Informative
Reactions: HG Wells
Quick take on the ID3... looks to me benchmarked to be about where the Nissan Leaf is re range, price, small hatchback, overall quality, value. Small and medium ID3 range matching base and large Leaf range, large ID3 probably about the equivalent of ~280-290 EPA range.

Suspect much of the media is ready to conflate WLTP and EPA ratings for range and trumpet this as a devastating follow-up to the Taycan... a worrisome potential 1-2 punch knockout blow to Tesla...

but,

all the facts are there to see all of its shortfalls vs the Model 3 if you adjust WLTP down 15-20%
VW ID.3 Debuts As People's Electric Car With Up To 342-Mile Range

They will not even offer the car in the US.

Again, basically, looks to me like benchmarked to match or beat the Leaf on value... equivalent of ~170 EPA miles for under ~$33k, or ~220 EPA miles for about $44k (last figure taken from a previous article that was correct on the ~$33k price in the current article). Will be an option with equivalent of about 280-290 miles of range. Prices I gave in dollars is based on Euros in the article, but, those prices very likely includes VAT (if I understand correctly, about 10-20% depending on the country), so not quite as hefty pricing as it might first appear.

"In terms of performance, Volkswagen promises you should be able to “accelerate rapidly” thanks to the EV hatch’s electric motor on the rear axle, which pushes out 204 horsepower (150 kilowatts) and a peak torque of 229 pound-feet (310 Newton-meters). "

Last edited:
Benzinga - this morning: This ARK ETF Is Flipping Its Script

TSLA is the top holding in ARKQ at over 11%.

ARKQ plans to narrow its focus to just autonomous technology and robotics companies. Apparently this news attracted interest, as the ETF's trading volume greatly expanded today, while it closed at the high of the session with a gain of 1.37%.

Meanwhile, ARK invest will conduct its monthly webinar tomorrow at 1:30 pm EDT. Tesla is usually discussed in either the main presentations, or the Q&A portion during which we can submit questions.

Webinar Registration: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/7119127061193927937?__hssc=84851910.7.1562598486635&__hstc=84851910.744419facd9b8a14f357aa4e584ee85b.1562598486635.1562598486635.1562598486635.1&__hsfp=4061745694&hsCtaTracking=3a654769-03e1-45b3-8ab8-531436197539|2100d6d6-5b8e-4a4f-9284-80050a7c220e