Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How the Tesla drama could end
How the Tesla drama could end

"amid slowing demand for cars like the Model 3"

Funny how quickly made up news like this gets dated...

Shouldn't AXIOS pull this nonsense?

I mean it reads like it was written by a robot scraping click bait headlines.

Worse part is, it is stuck up top to apple stock news.

No under most people have no idea the actual reality of Tesla.

The clickbait feedback loop takes over.
View attachment 416197

I lost all respect for Axios when they ran an article on the release of NoA, said that Tesla’s could now handle lane changes when the driver turns on their signal and then noted that Mercedes released that functionality already(Mercedes’ feature is exactly the same as the auto-lane change that’s been there since AP1).

I emailed them requesting a correction, pointing out all relevant dates to back up the need for one. The editor emailed me back saying they look into it and nothing ever happened. Article was never corrected. Probably because that was one of their primary reasons for the article saying that Tesla was supposedly falling behind.

I agree with you. It's all about risk assessment, which is why prudent investors pay attention to things like consistent profitability and growth, level of debt, EPS, FCF, etc. of any company that they invest in whether they are making cars or pharmaceuticals. Of course, not everyone is an investor, as some are speculators who ignore the fundamentals.

There seems to be a perception that no other car manufacturer in the world is actually close to producing EVs. A prudent investor would be paying attention to what's going on in the market at BMW, the VW Group (VW, Audi, Porsche) and be looking at things like this for a glimpse into the future:

Mercedes-Benz EQC (2019): Test drive in L.A.

So, if you are more of a speculator -- which is ok -- play the volatility, buy low, sell high, and make a bunch of money. It's all good.

The EQC? Hahahahahahaha. Oh man, if that’s the shape of the future, everyone but Tesla is going under. It’s the “let’s slap a touchscreen on it and it’ll beat the iPhone!” of cars.

The only 100% surefire solution to climate change is now almost in the market. A chemical reaction 100x greater liquid hydrogen.

Bit.ly/eop-onepage

We have some insights on the car manufacturers take on this tech. Not for a public forum.
But that strong, strong vaporware smell it gives off can't be environmentally friendly.

One way to benefit from EV revolution, other than our beloved $tsla, is to invest in copper miners. (Not an investment advise).

Copper price may increases in future as the current supply may not be enough to support the next wave of EV.

We focus in Nickel but copper is key too. Tesla can also buy long term contracts when the prices are this low.

fwiw,

Toyota

To respond with a sense of speed to the diversifying needs of these markets and to multiple challenges, both Subaru and Toyota believe that it is necessary to pursue a business model that goes beyond convention, crossing over industrial boundaries together with various types of other entities that share their aspirations. As a first step in this direction, while accelerating productization by bringing together technologies that represent each company’s strengths and cooperating where possible, the two companies will jointly develop a BEV-dedicated platform. The platform will be developed in a way that will make it broadly applicable to multiple vehicle types, including C-segment-class and D-segment-class sedans and SUVs, as well as to efficient development of derivative vehicle models.”

Tesla

“Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.”

Months of gloom and doom about Tesla in the media, but if we are to believe Fred's source Tesla is having record sales in North America. The question that has been bugging me today is how those two things can be reconciled. Possible explanations I can think of:

- Many people don't see the mainstream media and their FUD (or we, as vivid Tesla followers, see too much of it)
- Many people see the FUD for what it is: bullsugar
- Even bad news is good news: people read FUD about Tesla, get interested in the brand, do some more research and find out there's a lot to like about the cars (Youtube for instance has great videos by owners).
- Many people base their buying decisions on what they hear from informed sources: Tesla owners among their relatives, friends, at work, in communities and neigbourhoods. Thank you ambassadors!

Maybe it's just a combination of all of the above :)

I believe you are correct that it is likely a combination of the explanations you outlined. I recently had a conversation with a former colleague who is part of delivery leadership at Tesla and he confirmed that business has been steady all quarter. This is positive news for many reasons but two of the more important ones, IMO, is that 1) it's evidence of the shift away from the "wave" delivery approach and 2) indicates high FUD tolerance on the part of the customer base. He also mentioned that the most positive delivery experiences now tend to be those where the customer has little to no interaction with a person at Tesla and instead utilizes the self guided flow in the Tesla app to order, secure financing, and arrange delivery of their Tesla. So, the customer base is obviously of the internet age and likely to have come across any number of hit pieces on the path towards a purchase but the effect appears to be muted. This leads me to believe that no amount of FUD can counter Tesla's best weapon: the product. In fact, my father (and fellow Model 3 owner) who has never been one to hold any material object in very high regard, called me a few weeks back after installing software 2019.15.11 just to express his giddiness about the improvements. He proceeds to tell me that he feels that he might be getting old because he's never loved a "thing" as much as he loves his Model 3. I assured him that it wasn't the case at all and I directed him to TMC for evidence of others whose infatuation for Tesla might also border on the obsessive :D

Regarding License plate. great post by Vincent on Twitter

Don't Bet Against Elon ‍ on Twitter
Well, that's an interesting development.

As has been discussed, Beijing's registration limits were intended to restrict the total number of cars on their roads (which IMO is a laudable goal for urban sustainability)? In that case, I suspect we're going to see an ICE ban in Beijing very quickly, to try to slow down registrations as much as they can.