Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Elon can’t be trusted with guidance and Tesla posts a $700m loss when we were assured a profit or close to breakeven, that hurts the long term investors

When Elon tweets enhanced summon coming in 6 weeks in November, then in 1 week in April, and it still isn’t here, that hurts long term investors. Especially when he shifts attention to FSD, which he says will be complete by end of year and with regulation approval next year.
One other thought. Why are stock analysts so caught up in "guidance" anyway? They are supposed to be experts. Can they not look at actual numbers, and compare those to YOY numbers to get their idea of the health of a company? Why does Elon's or anyone else's opinions of what will be and when it will be matter. Those are all based on speculation. Why not deal with the concrete. Elon just needs to do what he does...grow the company. If "investors" need guidance from some entity or another I suggest they use their own common sense and research and then invest accordingly rather than crying about what this person or that thought numbers should be.

Dan

Last edited:
FWIW I just visited the tesla showroom in bristol., very busy (even early), first model 3 in the UK I've seen! (but LHD model). Model 3 looked very nice indeed. Also got a loaner S75D today, newer model than mine. I had no idea how much they improved the resolution of the reversing camera. Also MCU2 vs MCU1...silky smooth. My MCU screen is faulty so really hoping for a MCU2 replacement :D. Also the heated seats seemed better in my loaner than my 2015 model S.

When Elon can’t be trusted with guidance and Tesla posts a $700m loss when we were assured a profit or close to breakeven, that hurts the long term investors

When Elon tweets enhanced summon coming in 6 weeks in November, then in 1 week in April, and it still isn’t here, that hurts long term investors. Especially when he shifts attention to FSD, which he says will be complete by end of year and with regulation approval next year.

I’m confused. Let’s use a specific example of 5 years from now, since you referenced long term investors.

So in 2024 exactly how much difference will there be in the SP because Elon was over-optimistic about Enhanced Summon back in 2019?

I disagree, I think Maxwell is already in the semi. Just do the math on wh/kg required and cycle rates required. Either they are using NMC cells which are lower density or they found a way to get 2500+ cycles from higher density NCA cells. The mystery of the they can get 500mi x 2000 cycles (1 million miles) from 1MWh of cells can be solved using Maxwell enabled cells. Zero Cobalt is another thing that might help the costs of building such a large pack and Maxwell would help that, thigh Jeff Dahn already published research that shows NCA could be Cobalt free and not see a big increase in degradation, though Maxwell tech would offset any loses.

As far as Roadster goes, if it's 2 100kwh packs stacked it should have 700+mi range if it uses newly updated model S tech. Maybe it's 2 80KWh packs stacked. Either way, Maxwell would help it be lighter and require less cooling for the battery, or maintain higher output for longer.

I agree Maxwell tech would improve things, but from the Semi and Roadster discussion threads, it does not seem like a requirement. If it is, and they already have Maxwell cells in them, that would be great for Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Boomer19 and kbM3
What's going on on pre-market down to 10$ TSLA is at 220$

Elon's letter to employees yesterday that could be perceived as additional execution issues at Tesla that they now have to turn around. Could be spun as Tesla trying to get ahead of a potential miss for Q2 as well.

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot to counter that narrative until Tesla officially posts their numbers.

Do we have rankings if "deaths by car model per mile"? Have to think M3 is near the top.
They do but the Model 3 would be considered in the "lowest rates of driver deaths" category. Less than 6 deaths per million miles.
Report lists cars with highest and lowest rates of deaths
Link is too old to have Model 3 but making an assumption that the Model 3 has logged more than 1 million miles and AFAIK, this is the first fatality, it would be about 120 times safer than a Hyundai Accent for example.

Breaking news: Over 1 Billion miles have been logged in Model 3's.
Tesla on Instagram: “Over 1 billion miles have been driven with Model 3 – thank you to all the amazing Tesla owners who got us here! tesla.com/3”
So 120,000 times less likely to die in a Model 3 than a Hyundai Accent.

Last edited:
Elon's letter to employees yesterday that could be perceived as additional execution issues at Tesla that they now have to turn around. Could be spun as Tesla trying to get ahead of a potential miss for Q2 as well.

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot to counter that narrative until Tesla officially posts their numbers.
"Miss"?
Miss what? Who's opinion of where what should be will they "miss"?

Dan

so, @Anstandswauwau - you are still not over the scuffle from past week or so? no longer comment? you just mock, jeer, and hope we all burn? what gives?

hopefully you loved that post bc you needed a better entry point ;)

@Anstandswauwau
so what you’re telling us is that you’re mad and you’ve become a troll? if you choose that path, at least be the garden gnome type

What's going on on pre-market down to 10$ TSLA is at 220$

Heh heh. Many are interpreting the letter as essentially a guide to bankruptcy in 10 months if things don’t change. And why would they? Nobody has given any indication to the contrary. Most of the people we know who were admirers already talk about Tesla in the past tense no matter what we tell them. There is no PR department to tell them otherwise. If there is some ray of hope in the future no one is talking about it. People don’t want to buy an orphan and pretty much anybody who reads anything in the news about Tesla will tell you they are already done. What did they say in the last hit piece I read yesterday in Forbes? “The wheel is still spinning but the hamster is dead”. And no one to tell anyone otherwise.

Stunning to see a company like this without a PR department.

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 9.13.22 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and bdy0627
Heh heh. Many are interpreting the letter as essentially a guide to bankruptcy in 10 months if things don’t change. And why would they? Nobody has given any indication to the contrary. Most of the people we know who were admirers already talk about Tesla in the past tense no matter what we tell them. There is no PR department to tell them otherwise. If there is some ray of hope in the future no one is talking about it. People don’t want to buy an orphan and pretty much anybody who reads anything in the news about Tesla will tell you they are already done. What did they say in the last hit piece I read yesterday in Forbes? “The wheel is still spinning but the hamster is dead”. And no one to tell anyone otherwise.

Stunning to see a company like this without a PR department.

So are you here looking for reasons on whether to buy a M3 in remote Canada without chargers, or borderline troll? Do tell.