Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do wonder about his motivations here. He doesn't own a Tesla and he isn't an investor in TSLA, yet he spends a lot of time on this forum spreading the gospel: Mobileye=Good, Tesla=The Suck

He's going to continue to be disappointed with Mobileye's tech as it's deployed in the field. Since they rely on OEM's to develop solutions with their products and integrate them into their cars it's going to continue to be very slow going. Tesla's full stack control, access to data and agile approach will continue to lead in real deployed capabilities in the field.

Already we saw that in about 2 year's time Tesla was able to completely develop their own tech that is arguably better than Mobileye's. I'm talking about real, deployed tech in cars on the road, not some powerpoint slide.

We'll know Tesla's won when Mobileye starts the lawsuits over Tesla's infringement on their software patents.

He has some vested interest...we just don't know what it is and likely won't ever know. He says he is from Michigan. Detroit maybe? <wink> <wink> But who knows. In any case, we cannot let misinformation go unchallenged. Or for that matter even factual information that has no relevance to the topic in discussion...in this case who has the better chance at FSD. Even with Autonomy Day it was nice to hear that talk on the new board and all that, but this is a software problem. So having a great board is like 1% of the problem to be solved. It's all about the software and thats why Karpathy's talk was much more interesting to me. I still don't know how close they are to solving FSD...there are good reasons to be as skeptical as neroden is. My hope is they turn this puppy on by EOY in the same mode we have now (we have to keep hands on) and then i will know for sure how close they are. We all will.

I think they could benefit from having a select number of users report when some edge case is hit that they need to handle. This could be built into the vehicle software. For just these users when they hit some edge case they simply press the big new shiny button and type in a description. this triggers an upload to Tesla for them to review. Obviously the selection of drivers is critical here, but I think tesla buyers/drivers are great group to be selecting from.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and capster
Buffet has said he doesn't think Tesla will disrupt the insurance business, but I think he is missing the point. Elon doesn't want to disrupt the insurance industry, he wants to vertically integrate. Tesla insurance will have better data than other carriers and will have an incentive to offer reasonable rates. In insurance, better data = better understanding of risk = better rates and/or profits.

You wouldn't say that the GM financing arm is out there trying to disrupt the financial industry.

Whenever Warren Buffet starts criticizing Tesla or the company's plans for the future, I recall that the biggest-selling car the year Warren Buffett was born (1930) was the Ford Model A. Gasoline cost 10 cents a gallon on average that year.

ford-model-a.png

Electrek is reporting a CCS adapter for unit. Apparently not available in North America. So take me to school. This is important for us. We have lots of family in Europe. Could one of them buy one and ship it to us...and would it work on a model three here? We can’t buy a Model 3 without this because of where we live. Long story.

Moderator. My apologies. I know there is a thread on this but I couldn’t find it. Please feel free to move it. Sorry for the bother.

John.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: bhtooefr and TheMrX
I think Enhanced Summon will go viral on the internet when rolled out later this month. It's actually FSD with Remote Human Supervision to me, after reviewing some early access videos. I also expect people try to do all kinds of crazy and funny things with it, and post videos.

With the above, I also think the general public will start taking Elon's FSD promises seriously. Seeing is believing, it'll the closest FSD experience in real life.
I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of putting their dog behind the wheel when summoning in a parking lot. So there will be plenty of those videos on twitter and youtube.

Electrek is reporting a CCS adapter for unit. Apparently not available in North America. So take me to school. This is important for us. We have lots of family in Europe. Could one of them buy one and ship it to us...and would it work on a model three here? We can’t buy a Model 3 without this because of where we live. Long story.

No, both the inlet on the car and the CCS plug in NA are different.

Noticed the Bloomberg tracker clicked over 250,000 today. Congrats Tesla. The best is yet to come.
On that note, I am suddenly seeing what used to be 100s of new model S inventory now down to just 1 in the whole of 200miles around the NYC area.

Similarly other model inventories have also dropped.

Maybe a glitch or something funny happening. Did they sell a fleet to a rental car agency or something similar? Will check back again.

Move everything out of cities near sea level. No more NYC, San Francisco, Singapore, maybe London as financial centers.

That's what I thought 20 years back. But AGW is going to make such drastic changes in climate everywhere that in a century 6 billion people could die - because of rain pattern changes leading to water wars. Can you imagine the number of refugees from 10 years of consecutive monsoon failures on the Indian subcontinent ? 5000 years back all the civilizations of the time perished because of prolonged draught and there were no rigid country boundaries.

Reactions: neroden and erha
On that note, I am suddenly seeing what used to be 100s of new model S inventory now down to just 1 in the whole of 200miles around the NYC area.
Similarly other model inventories have also dropped.
Maybe a glitch or something funny happening. Did they sell a fleet to a rental car agency or something similar? Will check back again.
same thing happened in Florida.
49 New Model S this morning, now 0. (51 last night)
5 model X this morning, now 1 (6 last night)
Also down to just 1 M3P.

But meanwhile, Musk is talking about colonizing Mars and hasn't even started working on the extremely difficult biology problems. (The physics problems are, frankly, solved. It's the biology problems which make Mars colonization implausible -- I can guarantee that the first colony will either abandon Mars and come home, or die. The biology lessons they learn from their failure will inform a second colony, if there is one...)

To an extent I agree since the hype over near term colonization drives me crazy. It is a huge leap to go from early exploration, think early Antarctica, to actual colonization. I think Gwynne Shotwell's, CEO of SpaceX statement helps put into colonization into proper perspective. "Living on the surface of Mars will be like extreme camping, for a hundred years." Extreme camping certainly isn't colonization.
September 10th Gwynne Shotwell Q&A Session - 45min : spacex

SpaceX’s first launch to carry a large number of Starlink broadband satellites is scheduled for May 15, according to a company executive.

Gwynne Shotwell, SpaceX’s president and chief operating officer, said the launch will carry “dozens of satellites,” adding more prototypes to the two currently in low Earth orbit.

“This next batch of satellites will really be a demonstration set for us to see the deployment scheme and start putting our network together,” she said at the Satellite 2019 conference here. “We start launching satellites for actual service later this year.

Wrong. You need to do better research. EyeQ5 will be production ready Q1 2020 and series production for traditional automakers who have agreed to put it in specific models that will launch starting in 2021.

Wrong again. EyeQ5 is NOT just an NN accelerator and doesn't need to be built into a board with a cpu.

4n56ikN.png

Wrong again, Tesla's FSD chip has 2 NN accelerators, with a total of 72 TOPs and TDP of around 100 watts.

Wrong again, stop doing shallow google searches. You are literally just making stuff up. The picture you saw of Intel Atom SOC, is one of the config of Mobileye's AV KIT. The Atom was supposed to run the RSS validation of the driving policy. Mobileye later settled with 3x EyeQ5 config with a separate backup board with another EyeQ5. A total of 4x EyeQ5, 96 TOPs at 40 watts

Intel_mobileye_referencedesign.png

Later on..

DsXuTVwXgAIkNWu.jpg

Wow, it seems like you are literally just making stuff up.
The comparison Intel made with Nvidia is of a single EyeQ5 versus a single Xavier chip.
EyeQ5 is 24 TOPS on 10 watts, Xavier is 30 TOPS on 30 watts.

24/10 = 2.4
30/30 = 1
2.4/1 = 2.4

2.4x increase, its literally basic math.

IntelvsNvidiacomparison.png

Why do you keep making stuff up? Its a theme in this thread i can see.
also Tesla's chip isn't even ASIL-D

They didn't need that to have a 2+ years lead in NN deployment. Which i will post a comparison which i made in Feb 2019 here later today. Also Mobileye is the only one crowdsourcing HD Map and drive-able trajectory data from millions of cars today.

Stilll waiting for the any video with a consumer owned Mobileye equipped car that can navigate on-ramp to off-ramp on the highway without human input. Until then, Tesla > Mobileye.