Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No other carmaker wants to put Level 2 City Streets functionality in consumer’s hands and there are no signs that will be changing, Tesla is simply the only company who has any interest in doing it. The other companies are doing their testing and development privately, with professional testers etc, and they won’t release anything to consumers until it was actually fully ready to go with minimal risk.
No release until fully ready?

Then they will never release anything at all.

This makes absolutely no sense to shelf a new high volume model right before production when you have lots of spare existing capacity. Austin Model Y night shift was canceled to retool the line for the new model. Berlin production has also been throttled. Read the tea leaves
Happens all the time at automakers. Remember the 2010 RWD Acura RL and NSX with the V-10? Oh, you did not know it was canceled after the all the R&D work was done. GM, BMW, and Mercedes just canceled vehicles that was far along in the development. Unless you are car guy and read automotive news, one would never know. The R&D is cheap, the production tooling, that is where the cost is.

Guided 75% growth in production or revenue recognition?

The latter is dependent on production rates that occurred ~9 months prior. No real increase in Lathrop production since Q1 or Q2 2023. No evidence yet that production is ramping up to 40GWh rate yet, so at minimum don’t see big revenue growth until Q1 2025 at minimum.

Maybe they expect to get production rate up 75% by end of Q4, that’s totally possible.
Their earnings call language was unambiguous:

"We expect the energy storage deployments for 2024 to grow at least 75 percent higher from 2023."

I don't see how to interpret that as a year end run rate increase. Revenue recognition doesn't exactly match deployments on these big utility contracts, but Lathrop production must have increased this year for them to make such a clear statement.

L2 City Streets is actually becoming a thing in China. I agree it's less likely in the US. Europe is focusing on highway L3 and raising the limit from 60 kph to 130 (roughly 37 mph to 80).
The Chinese car companies are deploying it? I wouldn’t doubt it, things are probably pretty different over there and the car companies are mostly newer like Tesla.

The leap to taking any liability at full highway speeds is likely a big one, not sure I believe any current hardware is capable of that with the reduced reaction times required etc — that’s huge risk to take.

No release until fully ready?

Then they will never release anything at all.
Indeed if it’s never ready for consumer use, then it will never be released.

But the big established companies would rather release features that do a limited set of things and make them foolproof, which is obviously hugely different from Tesla’s approach where tech is deployed that will attempt all sorts of crazy stuff and potentially critically fail while keeping liability on the driver.

But foolproof excludes consciously activating the system in areas where it’s not supposed to be used. And when we see FSD today struggling in parking lots or what have you, proponents are quick to emerge in the comments and defend it by saying parking lots etc aren’t supported yet. Mercedes’ system isn’t meant for city streets, seemingly no other carmaker wants a system like Level 2 FSD w/ Autosteer on City Streets.

What happened to German Engineering and the Autobahn speeds
How is this L3 I don't know? Don't point me to the architecture docs ( :), I have read them )

Under these conditions Tesla might be L5 + :)

Street/SPACs definitely scheming to creating the Nikola, Lordstown of FSDs :)

It was an example of traditional, fine German engineering and is Level 3 in that narrow context within the confines of that department at Mercedes HQ.

Once they take it out of the engineering division and actually put it in a car and turn it loose on the road, and well, ... no so much.

But, it was DESIGNED as a Level 3 system. 😏

/s

Where on earth do you see Tesla's auto margins at "razor thin"? They're nowhere near razor thin.

As reported in Tesla's Q1 10-Q filing, automotive gross margins were 18.5%, among the best in the industry:
View attachment 1046751

The problem has been their net margins collapsed last quarter to 5.5%. This number was much much higher compared to industry historically (almost 19% in some articles I've seen). You can see GM/Ford has double digit gross margins too, but it was the operating/net which used to be substantially higher for Tesla. We will see how this trends moving forward as maybe it's just a blip, but it's hard for me to see massive net profits when prices have been cut so much and 0.99% offers are given compared to before.

To not clutter the thread, looks like they are hiring back some that got fired with specific person named:

"Chief among the personnel who have returned is Max de Zegher, the director of charging for North America, according to people with knowledge of the matter, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. De Zegher was one of the top managers after Rebecca Tinucci, the senior director Musk fired late last month along with virtually everyone else in the charging group."

So to see the whole picture, it is important to look at the European market as a whole. If we see sales drop in Germany more than in other European countries, the above could explain a lot of that.

Perspective, use it, or lose it.

This is the perspective to view Germany from.

Much like the China numbers drop when they are exporting, Germany numbers can be affected when GigaB is exporting to other EU nations.

Ignore the short-term local numbers and focus on the overall.

i.e.: "Zoom out" is always the right thing to do to get the big picture.

Last edited:
Mercedes’ Traffic Jam Assist is a Level 3 module within the system, calling the entire thing Level 3 is inaccurate and I’ve never seen it officially described that way.

The system has the ability to flip between Level 2 and Level 3 depending upon the conditions. If you’re barreling along on a highway at full speed then it’s Level 2, if you hit a traffic jam and the other requirements are met then it can flip into Level 3 until those conditions are no longer met — then it gives the driver a warning to take over because it’s about to move back to Level 2.

If Tesla did something like this with Autopilot, I'm pretty sure the reception from fans would be quite positive.

It's not a matter of "wants".

No other carmaker is capable of producing a system like Level 2 FSD w/ Autosteer on City Streets.
NVIDIA and Mobileye have both posted videos of their systems attempting city driving, a lot of carmakers get their tech from those two. And other companies out there actually operate driverless robotaxis today.

They could do it, nobody else wants to. Mobileye ended its partnership with Tesla back in the early AP1 days after the first Autopilot fatality because they felt Tesla was taking too much risk, and they described the public FSD program as a “brute force” method of development.

NVIDIA and Mobileye have both posted videos of their systems attempting city driving, a lot of carmakers get their tech from those two. And other companies out there actually operate driverless robotaxis today.

They could do it, nobody else wants to.
No. They can't do it. They absolutely can not match Tesla's system. They don't have the training data.

Yes, 100%. Same is true for Omar's stock pump videos.

Tesla also says if a catastrophic crash kills your children it's entirely your fault.
You didn't include a link to where this company spoke. Which, in itself, would be a sort of miracle. Usually people speak on the behalf of legal persons. If that is the case here, then a quote from that person is also missing.
And they'll fight tooth and nail in court
As if the other OEMs won't?
Mercedes will actually have to pay out. Same with Waymo and others. That's the gigantic gulf between Level 2 and Level 3/4 systems. I take Waymo to task for slow expansion and Mercedes Drive Pilot for a ridiculously limited operating domain, but they stand behind their autonomous technology.
No. They won't behave any differently in court than Tesla. They won't be handing out buckets of money to the survivors of the deceased without having crossed off a visit before the judge first, will they?
Even after a decade of Muskhype and nutty claims on forums like this one, Tesla still doesn't. Maybe some day they will, but until then it's kinda ridiculous to preach about superiority and "10 years ahead" and take potshots at those who are actually dong what Tesla can't.
What is it exactly that Tesla "doesn't" or "someday they will" and what is it exactly that "those are actually doing" that Tesla can't?

There is a ton of vaguery (ought to be a word) in what you have written and it left a rather incoherent post in the wake.

Reactions: T@oo

"Hardcore" litigation team didn't think they could win this one, apparently.

No. They can't do it. They absolutely can not match Tesla's system. They don't have the training data.
Mobileye has been running in a swath of makes/models for many years dude, they said they have 200 petabytes of driving data as of 2022:

Elon had previously claimed that Mobileye supporting so many different vehicles was slowing down their development, like they have too much data.

Who knows what NVIDIA does or doesn’t have, for all we know they could have data sharing agreements for providing H100s to companies like Tesla.

Hi, Unk --

Interesting, but I'm not sure on the read-through to Tesla. YTD, global auto sales are up; EV sales are up, with PHEV outperforming BEV, but BEV is still up; but Tesla is down. So, to me it's share loss that requires explanation. I guess you could argue that, because Tesla disproportionately benefitted from COVID/Ukraine disruptions, they'll be disproportionately affected by the unwind? Is that what you're getting at?

Yours,
RP
That is certainly part of it. My underlying logic is the present day adoptions demographics of BEV's, not hybrids. Much of the global acceleration of BEV's has been coming from Chinese growth, including ones like Volvo, Polestar and BMW iX3 although they are not directly a major factor.

In the rest of the world the shift is not visible in gross numbers, but is in the incentives numbers as I previously mentioned, and in the actual sales prices. Model mix has shifted in material ways, but at the moment that is rarely directly disclosed.

That shift is the one that affected Tesla more than any other, primarily because the Tesla Marketing,( including Positioning, Placement, Price and Promotion [this year mostly Advertising] changed so abruptly. The net effect of all the Marketing alterations was to shift what had been regarded as a premium and aspirational brand to one that was devoted to mass market commodity Placement and Positioning.

All of that coincided with the economic and cultural shift that essentially everyone sees. When combined all that sent shares spinning down, public perception shifting negative, all exacerbated by the emotional issues so widely dispersed by FUD and the Social Media Issue.

I have tried to avoid the comprehensive Marketing subject because so many people equate general Advertising with Marketing, and now even formerly tightly targeted social media has generic advertising growing exponentially much to the surprise of nearly everyone. For that we can credit (blame) Mark Zuckerberg, Larry Page and a handful of others but perhaps the first to do that was pinkfong of BabyShark fame:
In the world of Marketing, global influences end out of major consequence.
That single event ended out fomenting the entire idea of ignoring segmentation but target a generation instead. Of course that has been common for decades, but not in social media. Social media without targeting si the motherlode for Meta and Alphabet which now generate substantial revenue without targeting other that at the grossest level.
Amazon, by contrast has shifted markets towards corporate products but continue highly segmented pricing and service strategies.

Tesla, unlike other companies with similar product classes including cars, large scale energy, and services for competitors has been adept in treating each class independently, a wise choice, and treating automotive as a carefully orchestrated Positioning exercise comparable to, say, Airstream, Gulfstream and LVMH but few others. Having discarded that approach, we end out with confusion and dismay.

My earlier post was trying to illustrate the conflicts and challenges that happened during the last years. Without question my unstated Giant Issue is China. As a tiny illustration, Brazilian imports of cars from China rose over 600% last year, and industrial/commercial BESS there is now nearly 100% Chinese.

Elon Musk is now taking the steps that might just fix all that, and he's quite correct, in my opinion, to be 'Hard Core' about it. The question is what happens in 2025.

That is part of the detail behind th overall issues I was trying to show.

All that is closely related to how to make a business success of Optimus and Robotaxi. neither will be like 'a walk in the park'.

It's not a matter of "wants".

No other carmaker is capable of producing a system like Level 2 FSD w/ Autosteer on City Streets.

This is factually untrue- multiple chinese car makers are running such systems on customer cars today

For example:

You've been corrected on this before- why do you keep posting misinformation about it?

What is it exactly that Tesla "doesn't" or "someday they will" and what is it exactly that "those are actually doing" that Tesla can't?

Officially certify their system for driverless use.

Which is what Mercedes did within a very narrow ODD (traffic jams on highways) because they trust their system enough to be safe without an active human driver in that ODD.

Currently Tesla does not certify their system to ever be used without an active human driver. They aspirationaly want to- and have been aspirationaly wanting to for nearly 8 years now, but so far they don't trust it enough to actually do that.

Unless you have a million connected vehicles with identical camera placements in the hands of people driving them every day, and the infrastructure to collect, sort, sift and train on that data, then no, you do not have the same capability for training AI based self-driving as Tesla. I am happy to be proven wrong by seeing the tech specs of any rivals with those capabilities, but I will not hold my breath. Show me the data centers, show me the sales figures. Most of Tesla's rivals cant even update maps for the satnav over the air yet, let alone harvest training data.

Its LAUGHABLE to compare what Tesla has with FSD 12 to anything made by Mercedes. <40mph on a highway during the day in good weather if a car is in front of you...
Most people would just call that cruise control, and certainly wouldn't pay a monthly subscription for it.

The idea that other car companies could do FSD12 but choose not to, sounds about as convincing as Boeing saying "we could totally re-use rockets like spacex, we just aren't in the mood'.

Mobileye has been running in a swath of makes/models for many years dude, they said they have 200 petabytes of driving data as of 2022:

Elon had previously claimed that Mobileye supporting so many different vehicles was slowing down their development, like they have too much data.

Who knows what NVIDIA does or doesn’t have, for all we know they could have data sharing agreements for providing H100s to companies like Tesla.
Mobileye does not have the data they need to create an end-to-end system that comes anywhere near what Tesla has. They have neither the quantity or quality of data required.

I know what NVIDIA does not have. Like all the others, they do not have a huge fleet of cars with the onboard inference computers required to find and return specific high quality data.

To not clutter the thread, looks like they are hiring back some that got fired with specific person named:

"Chief among the personnel who have returned is Max de Zegher, the director of charging for North America, according to people with knowledge of the matter, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. De Zegher was one of the top managers after Rebecca Tinucci, the senior director Musk fired late last month along with virtually everyone else in the charging group."

This level of management is worth $56bn?

This supports my theory that Tesla has realized how we are at the point where others will step in and build charging infrastructure.

Looks like Elon got it right, again!

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla provides the equipment for a lot of these installations, and avoids the more time consuming aspects of arranging for the individual sites.

Reports are they hiring some of the team back. Oops.