Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, does anyone know if Ford Mach-e automatically routes to chargers along route (including Superchargers now)? This video which appears to be intended to show how easy it is to search makes me wonder if it's far more manual than Tesla's version of plug in destination and drive? I'm wondering if I'm talking for granted just how easy Tesla has made it for us?

Just curious, does anyone know if Ford Mach-e automatically routes to chargers along route (including Superchargers now)? This video which appears to be intended to show how easy it is to search makes me wonder if it's far more manual than Tesla's version of plug in destination and drive? I'm wondering if I'm talking for granted just how easy Tesla has made it for us?

According to Ford:
Ford customers can use the FordPass App, or in-vehicle SYNC 4 Charge Assist (soon to be 'Public Charging' App) to locate all chargers, including new Tesla Superchargers, just like before.

Integration to routing will come with a future over-the-air update.

Using a Fast Charging Adapter
1. Open your vehicle’s charge port door and lower the cover to reveal the fast charger inlet.
2. Attach the Fast Charging Adapter to the Tesla Supercharger cable by firmly pushing them together. You should hear a click when the cable is fully inserted.
3. Plug the Fast Charging Adapter into your vehicle.
4. With Plug & Charge is active, charging should begin automatically.
5. Stop the charge by pressing unlock button on vehicle charge port.
6. Remove adapter from charge port using silver release button on the top of adapter.
7. Detach adapter from Tesla Supercharger cord by pressing down the cable release tab.

So it's currently plug and play and their app can locate SC and send the destination to the car. There will be an OTA update that puts it in their navigation.

I assume most company using Tesla SC will be seamless just like Tesla.

I'm thinking the selection process is not just based on V3 capability, right? If so, the EU is way ahead.

In my Tesla App, clicked "Charge Your Non-Tesla" and there's one in Phoenix so far, oh boy! Then I went to Florida for fun... nothing there yet, not even Tampa, lol.

When I went to the EU... holy popcorn, the screen lights up! 🤷‍♂️ Meanwhile, Canada got a few but not enough to get across it. I wonder how much of this is marketing or even politically biased?
As far as I know "Charge your non-Tesla" is just looking for Magic Dock sites. Ford is sending out adapters now so they will be able to use those at V3 SCs

Could the cold air thrusters tech developed by Tesla be used in vehicles other than Roadster 2?

I'd like increasing acceleration and cornering beyond tyre-to-road adhesion limits, but it would be nice to leverage it for stopping vehicles in a shorter distance than what ABS can do. Just put one nozzle in the front and it might slow down the car when it can't avoid a big object (a wall, a truck, even a cliff).

What if Tesla can produce this en masse, cheaply, and can put it in the frunk (or anywhere else)? This could:
  • reduce the number of collisions (to near zero if the active safety sensors can detect it in time)
  • save tones of lives and reduce the severity of injuries
  • save loads of money in car repairs and, more importantly, insurance

Maybe that's their secret plan for the SpaceX-Tesla collab, beyond the fun part of making the Roaster take-off and levitate.

(It might be useful in Boring Co tunnels too, to make cars go far faster than highway speed limit with fewer constraints than open roads).

So, do you think it can be produce in volume, for a low cost, in a small package that can be assembled? What could be the size of this opportunity in business terms? Has this idea already been discussed somewhere?

Last edited:
In my Tesla App, clicked "Charge Your Non-Tesla" and there's one in Phoenix so far, oh boy! Then I went to Florida for fun... nothing there yet, not even Tampa, lol.
That currently only shows the ~500 MagicDock stalls. If you want to see which sites are open to NACS vehicles use the website, https://www.tesla.com/findus, and filter it to "Supercharges Open to NACS". (The Tesla app currently only shows the sites flagged as "Supercharges Open to Other EVs".)

As a runabout town, second car that would be excellent...

In addition to others using & paying for Tesla chargers, our fleet vehicles have a newer charge of 1$ per minute when charging over 90%. Not huge but it all adds up 🤑
Source? Is that only for full Superchargers? What about those with free supercharging?

Could the cold air thrusters tech develop by Tesla be used in vehicles other than Roadster 2?

If it can make the car accelerate and corner beyond the limits of tyre-to-road adhesion, it could make it stop in a far shorter distance than what ABS can do.

What if Tesla can produce this en massse, cheaply, in a small package? This have many possible benefits:
- reduce the number of collisions (to near zero if the active safety sensors can detect it in time)
- save tones of lives and reduce the severity of injuries
- save a tone of car repairs
- save loads of money in insurance

Maybe that's their secret plan for the SpaceX-Tesla collab, beyond the fun part of making the Roaster take-off and levitate.

(It might be useful in Boring Co tunnels too, to make cars go far faster than highway speed limit with fewer constraints than open roads).

So, do you think it can be produce in volume, for a low cost, in a small package that can be assembled? What could be the size of this opportunity in business terms?

The tech has been tested on motorcycles by Bosch as early as 2018, so it can certainly be made quite small-- I think cheap is the problem keeping it from having actually shown up on production vehicles.

Will be driving from NC to LA and TX next month. I don’t suppose there are too many Ford BEVs to worry about in the Southeast, greater Atlanta possibly?

• Funny
Reactions: SOULPEDL
Facebook is lit up today about the ford access to superchargers. I wonder if the ford adapter would work on any brand. Then again, I think some kind of certificate still has to handle the plug and play side. Hmmmm.

It isn't just the Ford adapter, but for third-party ones as well. I don't think they will work for other brands at this point. Currently there is no way to activate/pay for the charging other than Plug&Charge via the FordPass app or the "Public Charging" app inside the Ford vehicles.

edit: Actually you can via the Tesla app, I just had to install a new version and now you can tell it what kind of non-Tesla you have, and if you pick a Ford it will let you start/pay for charging in the Tesla app. Can you lie and tell it you are starting a Ford when you actually have a Rivian? I'm sure someone will test that out very soon.

I'm not thrilled by the prospect of Fred getting multiple free Roadsters either, but a deal is a deal. I expect Tesla will honor the agreement.

Yeah, there was no "deal" with commercial website bloggers for free roadsters. Tesla imposed Program Limits on the Referral Program: No advertising of referral links allowed. As Tesla stated, Founder series Roadster discounts were intended to recognize "authentic word-of-mouth referrals provided by our owners".

IMO, pasting the author's referral link in dozens or hundreds of web articles (w. paid advertisements) does not constitute an authentic word-of-mouth referral, and does not meet the spirit and intent of the referral program.

Previous Referral Program – Phase 9 | Tesla Support

Phase 9 of the Tesla Referral Program ended on February 2nd, 2019. All prizes from Phase 9 have been granted and no additional requests will be accepted. Please see detailed prize fulfillment statuses below.
  • Founders Series Roadster:
    • All winners have claimed the discount.
    • As stated in our Program Limits, we do not allow advertising of referral links. In recognition of the many authentic word-of-mouth referrals provided by our owners, we have recalculated Founder Series Roadster discounts. If we believe that you have paid for ads, we have reduced your Referral count by the number of views from any paid sources during the time when the Secret Level Founder Series Roadster award was offered.
    • [Ed. note: My emphasis and underscore]
IMO owners of commercial, for-profit websites do not qualify for free Roadsters under the referral program, which clearly stated:

Terms and conditions are subject to change.

Last edited:
Yeah, there was no "deal" with commercial website bloggers for free roadsters. Tesla imposed Program Limits on the Referral Program: No advertising of referral links allowed. As Tesla stated, Founder series Roadster discounts were intended to recognize "authentic word-of-mouth referrals provided by our owners".

IMO, pasting the author's referral link in dozens or hundreds of web articles (w. paid advertisements) does not constitute an authentic word-of-mouth referral, and does not meet the spirit and intent of the referral program.

Previous Referral Program – Phase 9 | Tesla Support

• Founders Series Roadster:
    • All winners have claimed the discount.
    • As stated in our Program Limits, we do not allow advertising of referral links. In recognition of the many authentic word-of-mouth referrals provided by our owners, we have recalculated Founder Series Roadster discounts. If we believe that you have paid for ads, we have reduced your Referral count by the number of views from any paid sources during the time when the Secret Level Founder Series Roadster award was offered.
    • [Ed. note: My emphasis and underscore]
IMO owners of commercial, for-profit websites do not qualify for free Roadsters under the referral program, which clearly stated:
Fred didn't do any paid advertising. We'll see at some point in the next decade if he gets his free Roadsters.

Reactions: ShareLofty
Curious re this tesla supercharger opening to ford customers. Some are saying that one must use the ford supplied adapter (which comes from Tesla). If the adapter is just a straight thru how would tesla know if you are using an adapter from someone else like A2Z?

Also, if tesla is supplying them to ford would this not be a revenue stream?

Fred didn't do any paid advertising. We'll see at some point in the next decade if he gets his free Roadsters.

While Fred's website was full of Ads? He's clearly running a commercial, daily, for-profit website as his full-time job. Thus he does not meet the spirt of the Program Limits on the Referral Program, which is to "recognize authentic word-of-mouth referrals by owners". I highly doubt Fred knew or had even met 1% of the people who used his link (which was reproduced 100s of times as part of his website template - no additional effort expended).

Fred didn't get those 'referrals' because he owned a Tesla; he got them by gaming the referral program with a commercial website. IMO those aren't "qualified referrals". All Fred did was scoop up the referral credits which would have otherwise gone to friends, family and associates. This pushed Tesla to end the Roadster referral program, ultimately hurting people who don't run websites for a living. Again, another net negative.