Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sales in Q3 were down 15% in California Vs Q2. All other EV brands combined increased quarter over quarter.

Sales are disproportionately softer in a left leaning liberal market that is very EV friendly? Gee I wonder why that could be.
Because of production slowdown to accommodate preparation for Highland and improved efficiency?

Sales were not down 15% in North America. California performed disproportionately worse, including Model Y. And model 3 highland is not shipping from Fremont yet - it is still pumping out the old model 3.
How do Tesla sales in California YTD in 2023, compare to YTD sales in California in 2022?

The fact that Highland isn't available in the US is a drag on sales.

If workers can theoretically unionize and get significantly more than 15% higher wages, why wouldn’t they do that and just buy stock directly themselves? There will be a point where the net benefit of the ownership plan is eroded and potentially more than fully negated if the pay disparity is that big.
Edit…
And yet people actually pay gigabucks to go to MIT or Harvard.

I think of Tesla as the best Engineering learning experience on earth. Not just for their Agile teams or amazing resume later on, but for the feeling of doing something good against some evil forces. This is so rare.

I have wanted to work at Tesla for quite some time, but I’m simply not amazing enough. It is harder to get in than Harvard so I’m told.

True story, when the Model 3 was in crisis launch mode, I offered to work for free for a trial period up to 6 months. Likely wasn't possible, but that’s how much I wanted to see it all first hand and help out. It’s all about purpose, curiosity, and I’d still do it.

Some employees may want more money, but I bet those don’t last very long if that’s their primary goal.

The caveat is that the stock price should match their performance with steady climb, else that benefit may become disconnected from its intended goal (wishful). But they know they’re the best of the best, and so do we. Rewards will follow.

Last edited:
Some nice wins on the legal front:

NEWS: A Chinese court determined that the Chaozhou accident was not a defect in Tesla's vehicle.

- The court ruled that Tesla had won the case.

- In addition, the media that misreported the fact was ordered to post an apology for 30 days and compensate 30,000 yuan.
Of course this latter win is not reported on any of the main stream media, even though they all reported the original accident.

So comma.ai doesn't have to solve autonomy as well as Tesla. They just have to solve it well enough that lots of people are willing to trust the software and take on the liability.

Lol, again? :p

Startup Comma.ai Ditches Driver-Assistance Kit After Regulatory Scrutiny | WSJ (2016-10-28)

Oh, and Geo's back again? Last time he left was only 1 year ago:

George Hotz, aka 'geohot,' is leaving Comma.ai for a lofty AI project | techcrunch.com (2022-11-02)

Command.AI is Not Gonna Happen.

So spent some time fighting EV FUD today and got a new crazy statistic thrown at me. Did you know that the US grid needs 700% more electricity to support a conversion to all EVs.
Do they factor in the electricity cost of refining petrol/diesel? I asked ChatGPT a series of questions:

How much electricity does it take to refine a gallon of gas?
The amount of electricity required to refine a gallon of gas can vary depending on several factors, such as the specific refining processes, technology used, and the efficiency of the refining facility. On average, it's estimated that refining a gallon of gasoline consumes about 6 kWh (kilowatt-hours) of electricity. However, this value can fluctuate across different refineries and their operational practices.​
How far will an EV go on 6kWh?
The distance an electric vehicle (EV) can travel on 6 kWh of electricity varies widely depending on the car's efficiency, battery capacity, and driving conditions. On average, an EV might travel roughly 20-25 miles on 6 kWh of electricity. However, this can fluctuate significantly based on factors such as the vehicle's energy consumption rate, driving speed, weather, terrain, and other variables.​
What’s the average fuels consumption of a family car?
The average fuel consumption of a family car can range between 25 to 30 miles per gallon (MPG) for a combined city and highway driving cycle. However, this can vary widely based on the car's make, model, engine size, driving habits, and road conditions. Some smaller, more fuel-efficient cars might achieve higher MPG, while larger or less efficient vehicles might have lower fuel economy.​

Now I'm no mathematician, but it seems to me that although the distribution infrastructure may need to be upgraded over time, the electricity itself basically comes free...

Last edited:
Tesla sales in Q3 were down 15% in California Vs Q2. All other EV brands combined increased quarter over quarter.

Sales are disproportionately softer in a left leaning liberal market that is very EV friendly? Gee I wonder why that could be.

Your post reminds me of TSLAQ a while back stating that Tesla was over and done with since sales in Norway were down.

Turns out Tesla sold more than ever - they just redirected cars from Norway to elsewhere in Europe.

My guess back then was that other countries in Europe had discovered what a good deal it was to buy a Tesla. And to satisfy the newcomers Norwegians had to wait a little longer for their cars.

Could it be that something similar is happening in the US? Any states jonesing for Teslas?

Sales were not down 15% in North America. California performed disproportionately worse, including Model Y. And model 3 highland is not shipping from Fremont yet - it is still pumping out the old model 3.
Remember also that Austin was shut down for a bit in Q3, which surely affected Model Y production too. And we don’t know if there were any impacts to Fremont.

Now I'm no mathematician, but it seems to me that although the distribution infrastructure may need to be upgraded over time, the electricity itself basically comes free...

I formerly owned a Chevy Blazer AWD SUV which got 28 mpg imp. on the highway (10.0 l/100km in metric). My current Model Y LR AWD has a lifetime energy eff. of 0.165 KWh/km.

Given 7.2 kwh of electricity (6*1.2) to make 1 imp. gal of gasoline, that's the equivalent of 27 mpg imperial. And the Chevy didn't get 27 mpg in the City, try 14 mpg in 4WD during the Winter. But the 0.165 KWh/km figure for my Model Y is lifetime, including driving in -30C here last Winter.

So I'm literally replacing gas, running on unicorn farts while thumbing my nose at the dyno-sours. :D

Cheers to the mathematicians!

Oh, and my Tesla has 7 seats where the Chevy had 5, both tow 3,500 lbs, and my Tesla DRIVES ITSELF!!

Last edited:
Lol, again? :p

Startup Comma.ai Ditches Driver-Assistance Kit After Regulatory Scrutiny | WSJ (2016-10-28)

Oh, and Geo's back again? Last time he left was only 1 year ago:

George Hotz, aka 'geohot,' is leaving Comma.ai for a lofty AI project | techcrunch.com (2022-11-02)

Command.AI is Not Gonna Happen.
I don't understand your post. What was the point of your link from 2016?

comma.ai is happening. They continue to sell a lot of hardware. So what did you mean?