Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The IRA is going to be great for the Mexican economy. Also, the Chinese food there is going to be amazing.
The Monterrey Hilton is going to be very full. As is the architecturally and historically more interesting hotel just up the block.

As someone who just got back from ten days in France/Spain/Andorra [UTMB 160k race], I can say for sure the 3 and Y are not small. I rented a new X5 hybrid and it felt like driving a semi truck around. Even though this is like a $100k car my 8yo son kept saying “ugh, gas cars suck”. But the S and X have little business being in many parts of Europe, much less the cybertruck. I did see many Teslas but only one S. I saw a couple Ford Raptors and felt so bad for them. Im now in the camp of “Tesla should not waste their time with a RHD S and X”.

Welcome to WOUSA-land. Have a nice day.

Seriously, how many times do we have to say that fat is bad.

That list is based on the LINPACK benchmark for traditional x86 (64-bit) CPU-based systems. Those supercomputers are designed for traditional compute workloads. Hence, it's not a useful comparison for Machine Learning systems...

The list was originally composed of vector/parallel supercomputers (such as the CRAY-1 and its many follow-ons) - long before 64-bit x86 systems even existed. LINPACK ran well on those early supercomputers. However LINPACK was obsoleted 20-30 years ago by LAPACK - which makes better use of CPUs with cache and other hierarchical memory. So anyone who actually does dense matrix manipulation would not use LINPACK today. The test uses 64-bit floating point arithmetic - which as you note, has little relevance to AI.

Back during AI Day, they mentioned some of the data types that Dojo natively supports. Lots of small integer types. I found it very interesting.

Last edited:
Front page of The Telegraph

1689102667819.png

It's using Powerwall to take advantage of the demand differentials. The article is based on a job advert: "The company is seeking to hire an experienced energy executive as its UK head of operations for Tesla Electric."

View attachment 955304

It's using Powerwall to take advantage of the demand differentials. The article is based on a job advert: "The company is seeking to hire an experienced energy executive as its UK head of operations for Tesla Electric."
That is excellent news for both Tesla and the UK. Should bring some price relief for electricity prices there, yes?

And of course, strengthening the famous Texas <-> UK tie is also a great thing. We like your beer, you like our barbecue. Match made in heaven as far as I can tell ;)

View attachment 955304

Octopus Energy used to have a Tesla-collaboration price, especially for solar and/or Powerwalls (could get Powerwalls installed I believe). From memory, in UK & probably Australia, Germany, Austria etc.

In TMC UK Octopus Energy threads, there were questions about moving to other Octopus tariffs (pricing schemes).

So possibly a few countries may get Tesla Energy. Tesla have Autobidder, Octopus have Kraken.

Reactions: Buckminster
GM throws in the towel concerning building affordable, smaller cars in the US.

Funny how CNBC buries that little detail in the article. I do hope that TSLA decides to open a "Model 2" (or whatever the "$25,000 Tesla will be called) assembly line in a US factory, just to keep the "Most US Made" title and shut down that bit of FUD.
GM builds dreck and then instead of fixing the problems, they outsource it to Asia. In the 70's I briefly had a Chevy Vega. That was GM's answer to small cars being imported from Asia. It was garbage, leaked oil like a sieve and something always seemed to be falling off. Gas was less than a $1 a gallon then but it was costing me a fortune with constantly pouring oil into the engine. GM builds huge boat size cars. Anything smaller they just can't figure out. Once Tesla realizes they screwed up they fix it while they are making the cars. GM, Ford and the others are toast.

Renault & Geely combining/separating out ICE engine factories. Investment from Saudi Aramco. Could change ICE market. What I found most interesting and relates to Tesla is that the video says that at about 20% EV market share, ICE starts becoming unprofitable. That message isn't as widely known as it will be soon & that should have an effect on $TSLA sentiment

Timestamped -

not only will Renault when Gili buy the
2:29
power trains but so will their Partners
2:32
including Volvo Nissan and Mitsubishi
2:34
however the plan also includes adding
2:37
more partners and supplying engines and
2:39
Transmissions to other third-party car
2:42
brands gas and oil giant aramco says it
2:45
wants to invest in the joint venture and
2:48
we expect more in fact we think we're
2:51
going to see a lot more of this as ice
2:53
sales decline the factories that make
2:56
them will start to become unprofitable
2:59
the crossover point is going to be when
3:01
EVS hit about 20 market share and that's
3:05
going to trigger a lot more
3:06
consolidation in the powertrain business

Americans have to understand that Europeans are much smaller people. No fat, no muscle, probably still suffering effects potato famines and the plague. Everything there is smaller and tighter, including pants, cars, and food proportions.

The only thing bigger is the hair on the back of their heads.

Do you think this person is going to drive a Model 3 in their tight clothes through the cobbled streets of some European city I can't pronounce?

1b273364ac4ee0c51b4a3f7b734c7db2--toddler-hair-mullets.jpg

No. For now, most Europeans need a very compact Model 2. Model 3 is too dangerous as crash tests were not designed for small Europeans.

Luckily, with the success of Tesla and the growth of the German Tesla factory, Europe finally might end up with enough economic productivity to grow more potatoes, open up more McDonalds 🍔 and make everyone grow again (MEGA).

Once Elon gets all the Europeans fat, then they can comfortably fit inside Model 3 / Y. Then demand will increase.

That is the first principles way.

This is, I think, the whole point. Americans think the model 3 is small. This is why they shouldn't be trying to design small cars for Europe. The model 3 is NOT small by European standards. My model Y feels like a battleship next to a lot of the cars I park next to here, and I'm in rural UK, not zipping down side-streets in Rome or around London.

Tesla is STILL designing cars for Americans, specifically Californians (with a nod to Texans in the case of the cybertruck). Shrink the model 3 by 10% in every direction and its European sales would go up, not down.

Also BTW, true of Japan. Japanese cars are tiny, tiny tiny tiny. Tesla is not going to sell serious quantities in that market until they release a much smaller model.
The BMW 3 Series was the bogey for Model 3. Are you claiming the 3 Series wasn’t designed for Europe?

The Burnt Hair arrived today. Hopefully, this is a good sign.

The missus was curious to sample it and had me spritz a tad upon a piece of paper which she sniffed briefly, then held it at arms length while saying "This is going in the trash right now!" and walked off to the kitchen. (meaning the paper, not the bottle)

Having now released the scent into the air I anticipate the magical powers of The Essence of Repugnant Desire to soon be wafting into the nostrils of short sellers, MMs, and other manipulative ilk.

In my dreams, once inhaled, this potion begins initiating a change in behavior on their part. One that results in an increased inability to hold TSLA back from its destiny with the orbital realm. While simultaneously relegating their hopes for a repeat of their former success to a Boring Co tunnel placed deep underground for their inconvenience, where their dark hopes and dreams belong.

e687c2532d7b5d29c57febd6511440ac.jpg

Come on baby, light my fire​

Last edited:
Americans have to understand that Europeans are much smaller people. No fat, no muscle, probably still suffering effects potato famines and the plague. Everything there is smaller and tighter, including pants, cars, and food proportions.
I'm sure you can duck-duck-go this as easily as I can:
For clarification, the imperial system measures height by way of feet and inches, whereas the metric system uses meters and centimeters. These measurement units are not hard to switch between, but countries tend to stick to one over the other to maintain consistency. The ten tallest countries, with the first one being the country with the tallest average human height in the world, include:
Funnily enough, a couple of those countries are in Europe.
/S (I think you missed this.)

The only thing bigger is the hair on the back of their heads.

Do you think this person is going to drive a Model 3 in their tight clothes through the cobbled streets of some European city I can't pronounce?

1b273364ac4ee0c51b4a3f7b734c7db2--toddler-hair-mullets.jpg

No. For now, most Europeans need a very compact Model 2. Model 3 is too dangerous as crash tests were not designed for small Europeans.

Luckily, with the success of Tesla and the growth of the German Tesla factory, Europe finally might end up with enough economic productivity to grow more potatoes, open up more McDonalds 🍔 and make everyone grow again (MEGA).

Once Elon gets all the Europeans fat, then they can comfortably fit inside Model 3 / Y. Then demand will increase.

That is the first principles way.
I remember when they took that picture of me. Seems to me I was in my early sixties. 😜

Ruh-roh.

Faraday Future Intelligent Electric (FFIE.O) said on Tuesday its interim finance chief has resigned and the company will restate its financial statements for 2022 and the quarter ended March 2023 after it uncovered some errors…
Faraday Future also said its annual report for 2022, quarters ending September 2022 and March 2023 "should no longer be relied upon"