Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I write that? I just think they could try advertising in a small market and see how that goes. I hear a lot of misconceptions about electric cars in general and Tesla in particular. And a lot of people don't want to buy Tesla because they don't like Musk. I have no strong opinion on whether it would work or not but why not try?
Yeah, you kind of implied it. They’ll do it when they believe they need to, that’s when. My guess is never.

I'm not sure why the margins are so low on Megapack. At $2M a pop, it's hard to believe they cost more than $1.5M to build. The equivalent of 30 Model S batteries can't be more than $1M. I must be missing something.

The following twitter thread from Jan 27, 2023 explains the Megapack business model: (the full thread is also included at TMC in my comment above)

Cheers!

Parking at Costco yesterday, just as I got out of my Model Y, a man and his pre-teen daughter walked by. The girl practically squeeled in delight, and said "Dad! Tesla!".

Sometimes we pitch in and pick up our granddaughter at elementary school. The slightly older kids who direct the right children to the right cars sometimes jockey to get “the red Tesla”, proud of the fact they know how the door handles work!

Bear in mind, here in E TN Tesla’s are not as common as some other parts of the country, but are now far from being rare.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why the margins are so low on Megapack. At $2M a pop, it's hard to believe they cost more than $1.5M to build. The equivalent of 30 Model S batteries can't be more than $1M. I must be missing something.

It could be because the margins are based upon product that was sold a year or more prior and are just now being delivered.

Edit: Watching the Brighter With Herbert interview of Bradford Ferguson he mentions how the contract for payment on a Megapack may be structured to pay out in parcels over a period of years. Something else to consider.

Last edited:
Just about every one that mentions the idea of maybe buying an EV some day instantly begins mentioning every other manufacturer. People want to find any reason to avoid even considering purchasing a Tesla. It's very strange, but true for some percentage of the population.
It's because many people are afraid of success (impostor syndrome) and feel that they don't deserve to make the right decision for themselves. A Tesla is already heads and shoulders above the competition in value, performance and utility, se we can't possibly deserve it. The more obviously correct, the scarier a decision can feel. It's more comfortable psychologically safer to pay a little more for a worse car = a non Tesla EV.

Advertising would just exeacerbate the problem.

I think the main thing that needs to be communicated to John Q. Public right now is the massive price drop.
One place that, perhaps we all agree that could happen, would be in the Vegas Loop.
All the screens in there (being mostly redundant to the operation of the vehicle) should carry the message
"This car available right now on Tesla.com for $x"

(edited for typos)

I'd suggest that right now there is not enough volume so factory cost is a bigger percentage than it will be in the future.

$2 million is the amortized price point for 10 units with installation.
At quantity of 100 the units on their own are $1.7 million for 2 hr and $1.6 million for 4hr.

Order Megapack

This is a great point - I see SpaceX Starlink advertising a lot, both online and in person (billboards, mailbox drops). What is the reasoning by Elon that paid advertising is fine for one of his companies, but not another? Would be interesting to hear the specific reasoning.
This is an interesting reality. The businesses are just fundamentally very different. For Starlink, the supply is more or less uniformly distributed across the globe. For Tesla, supply is more or less fungible with regard to geography.

I disagree with @unk45 in that in certain parts of the first world and in certain verticals, Starlink is very well known by normal folks and the dishes are excellent marketing tools. Word of mouth is quite strong. Many of those areas are opposite to where Tesla does good business right now. I expect that to change once Cybertruck starts rolling out. Cybertrucks will be hard to miss on the highway and lest we forget, controversy over styling is good for sales.

It is a sad fact that in a good portion of the first world, people agonize over shopping for broadband more than they do over shopping for cars. In those areas, there is Starlink undercapacity and there are no ads. In fact, Starlink has been raising prices in order to shed demand, despite that Starlink will continue to add capacity at a furious clip. In other areas, like where you live, there is Starlink overcapacity. Starlink will try to hard to generate demand in your neighborhood.

Last edited:
This is an interesting reality. The businesses are just fundamentally very different. For Starlink, the supply is more or less uniformly distributed across the globe. For Tesla, supply is more or less fungible with regard to geography.

I disagree with @unk45 in that in certain parts of the first world and in certain verticals, Starlink is very well known by normal folks and the dishes are excellent marketing tools. Word of mouth is quite strong. Many of those areas are opposite to where Tesla does good business right now.
I hope I did not imply word of mouth did not happen for Starlink. Zero question about it, where WOM exists there is nothing better...

• Helpful
Reactions: Rarity
It's because many people are afraid of success (impostor syndrome) and feel that they don't deserve to make the right decision for themselves.

And self-medicate.

You can't handle the Tooth.jpg

Cheers!

It appears to be a battery subsidy like the IRA, Volkswagen does not have to pay that back.

"Per battery investment with PowerCo SE ranges between $8 billion and $13.2 billion, depending on production levels. This is a part of an overall electric vehicle battery investment partnership by Canada and Ontario. Projections show that the full economic impact of the project will be equal to the value of government investment in less than five years."

Official source: Volkswagen’s new electric vehicle battery plant will create thousands of new jobs

It's a 90 GWh/year capacity with 3000 jobs, and Volkswagen is investing $7 billion in that facility or about twice the amount Tesla is investing in Nevada on the 4680 line for a similar capacity (100GWh versus 90GWh for Volkswagen) and workforce (3000 jobs) but also including the Semi production facility.
It remains to be seen whether the IRA will survive the US debt ceiling negotiations. Another reason for now to invest in Canada.

Advertising won't fix that because most don't believe advertising. Advertising does one thing: it creates brand awareness. Most everyone has heard of Tesla, so brand awareness is not really an issue (except for those who live under a rock).
So why does Apple advertise and spend billions per year on Ads? Is that because Apple lacks brand awareness. Does Toyota lack brand awareness? Everyone knows all the established brands. Amazing how people justify their opinions.

Reactions: Hiline
Interesting video from Steven Peeters who often reports about UNECE regulatory progress regarding self driving cars (relevant for Europe as US doesn´t follow UNECE). It is already from March 12 but had missed it.

He reports that after it has been allowed to drive below 60 km/h on the freeway without driver attention for a while (basically driving in traffic jam conditions, Mercedes was the only one to make use of this), this has already been increased to 130 km/h (without lane changes and only in good weather though, but still, you could get in the right lane and start working for hours if your car had an approved system).

It also seems as if they are working on making FSD on city streets a possibility, and not bit by bit but all at once at some point in the future. They will take their time I guess but good to know they are now actively moving in that direction.

Steven Peeters said:
There has been some really good progess made, because it becomes more and more clear that what they are aiming for/what they are implementing for DCAS is actually almost a one on one match with what Tesla FSD is capable of doing in the US currently. So Tesla is really moving things forward on this front and they are setting the pace, the are setting the standard.

EDIT: There is actually already a timeline, seems like they plan to have the draft ready next year, has to be voted on after that probably and converted into local law, but not too bad:

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 21.23.15.png

Last edited: