Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to see that too.

But if Tesla sued then this Dan O'Dowd character would be entitled to discovery. Then he can explore every nook and cranny of Tesla's FSD program and find more ammunition for more FUD.

I figure Tesla will probably just ignore it. Let FSD success speak for itself.
The thing is......what discovery? Tesla has been very open about how FSD works, it's training process, etc...Hell just last year on AI day they went into a ton of detail of the underlining core of what FSD is and will become.

I have zero worries about discovery when it comes to FSD

The thing is......what discovery? Tesla has been very open about how FSD works, it's training process, etc...Hell just last year on AI day they went into a ton of detail of the underlining core of what FSD is and will become.

I'm not sure discovery would be a thing problem here anyway. If Tesla has secret data showing that FSD Beta is hurting people we are toast either way.

But, Tesla could release the car's data and prove that this was all a lie. (assuming it is, we don't know for sure to be fair)

Don't the red lines on the sides mean FSD?
They mean that FSD is available on that road, not that it's activated. It will change to the red lines when you move from say a highway to a surface street.

For example, we don't know the details of Tesla's testing criteria and procedures before putting out a release. O'Dowd could make up some FUD about how it isn't sufficient. That's just one example.

It's easy to make up bogus new lines of attack when you have access to every detail behind the scenes.

I know Elon would like to teach this guy a lesson, but O'Dowd isn't worth the effort. A lawsuit is exactly what O'Dowd wants so he can keep the story going and get more publicity.

Issues I have with the video, anyone is welcome to Twitterize:

Number of actual tests:
Three impacts out of how many attempts?
"Tesla’s FSD software does fail this simple task, repeatedly"
"Consistently Strikes Child-Sized Mannequins"
"vehicle consistently slowed"
"We ran our test repeatedly"
"Numerous child-sized mannequins were placed in the middle of the test track lane in profile"

Is three his definition of numerous?
Is three his definition of repeatedly?

Which 'consistently' is a larger value, the strikes or the slowing?

"Sometimes the speed at impact would be faster or slower than the twenty-five (25) miles per hour." If there were only three tests, there is no way for it to "sometimes" be anything. One test was reported higher, one lower, that's not sometimes, that's once. Again, how many times was the test performed?

See also the length of the shadow in the side shots which time elapsed and that they may have needed to drive into the sun to get a failure.
It also looks like the taped over the rear ultrasonics.
SmartSelect_20220809-174521_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20220809-174456_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20220809-174437_Gallery.jpg

Methodology Flawed
"The test was designed to simulate a realistic life-and-death situation in which everyday motorists frequently find themselves: a small child walking across the road in a crosswalk. "
Two major issues:
1-Where is the walking in the test setup?
2-The manaquin is 30.5 inches. The item is called out as a 12 month old in its listing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006C3PYHI . Average walking age is 12-18 months. At this height, they would have only recently stated walking, if at all. How did the toddler get in the road? Stay vertical? Where is the supervision? Was this size chosen because it was the smallest available?

Report is self contradictory
"Given 100 yards of driving distance — which a car traveling an average of 28 mph traverses in about 7 seconds — an attentive human driver cannot fail to notice a stationary child in the middle of a clear roadway."
Yet: "In 2019, the most recent year for which good data is available, 181 pedestrians under the age of 14 were struck by a moving vehicle. 96% of those children were killed by a single car crashing into them."
And driver acknowledges Tesla's Beta warning ti be attentive.

Sigh.....now I really hope Tesla goes after this guy. Sue him into insolvency.
FSD is not engaged in this video as the path planned line in the middle of the lane is grey and the steering wheel is grey. It is **ONLY** using FSD when that line is blue and the steering wheel is blue.

Also, the NHTSA test with a Strike-able Surrogate Pedestrian Adult or Child is done within lane lines and not cones.

I know as I performed this test, passed it with my AP team and shipped the code in late 2014.

And one more thing, this test is very specifically NOT being done under NHTSA test conditions and could very well be debunked with cones setup on the wrong side of the road, going the same speed (25 MPH) with a Strike-able Surrogate Pedestrian Child and putting the car into FSD mode with a blue line and blue steering wheel. FSD should mitigate all crash energy in this situation every single time.

Does the car usually hit cones though? Cones always show up in my display.
The cone behavior is odd. If the cones are a long distance away (2-3 metres off the side of the road), FSD wants to move to the other lane to avoid hitting cones. However, if the cones are in the centreline, then FDS gets as close to the cones as possible. Usually I disengage FSD at this point because not all the cones are exactly on the centreline.

FSD is not engaged in this video as the path planned line in the middle of the lane is grey and the steering wheel is grey. It is **ONLY** using FSD when that line is blue and the steering wheel is blue.

Also, the NHTSA test with a Strike-able Surrogate Pedestrian Adult or Child is done within lane lines and not cones.

I know as I performed this test, passed it with my AP team and shipped the code in late 2014.

And one more thing, this test is very specifically NOT being done under NHTSA test conditions and could very well be debunked with cones setup on the wrong side of the road, going the same speed (25 MPH) with a Strike-able Surrogate Pedestrian Child and putting the car into FSD mode with a blue line and blue steering wheel. FSD should mitigate all crash energy in this situation every single time.

You can watch the "raw" footage of the three collisions here: Frame.io

Notes:
  • The footage seems to have been made such the screen is mostly out of focus so you can't see clearly what is going on.
  • It looks like FSD is enabled in all three tests.
  • In two of the tests FSD wanted to change lanes to the right but couldn't because of the cones.
    • In the remaining test it threw up the red hands before the collision.

Notes:
  • The footage seems to have been made such the screen is mostly out of focus so you can't see clearly what is going on.
  • In two of the tests FSD wanted to change lanes to the right but couldn't because of the cones.
Fishy (*warning label)
1660084972263.png

Notes:
Thanks for point me to the raw footage.

1st run - Red steering wheel is seen which indicates that FSD is seeing something and wants the driver to take over. Also, you can't see the bottom of the screen so it is unknown if the driver is explicitly pressing the throttle as a warning message would be displayed saying that FSD will NOT brake.

2nd and 3rd - FSD tries to maneuver to the right around the object due to the cones ending and it being on the wrong side of the double yellow. Also, inconclusive as the bottom part of the screen is not visible.

Folks, this is clear manipulation and easily debunked. Look at any FSD youtuber video and it is apparent that showing the entire screen, the entire steering wheel, showing both pedals at the same time in perfect focus is common. Also note that in the video you can clearly see someone in the back seat with a huge video camera when a mounted GoPro is better suited. This is so they can only show what they want you to see.

Many of my friends got nailed on this, many people were using VPNs to look like they were in state.

[OT} Phew.. thinking first principles: .. all you have to do is install a laptop at a friend's house in the state you want, and remote control it from anywhere. No way they can detect a VPN.

You're welcome

PS. My BTC address should someone want to buy me a cup of coffee - 3R1tgK5xrFfUFVCXATvso2WXd1phG4XkBS

There was a similar test done by January 7, 2022 by a Taylor Ogan reported on Twitter and CarBuzz comparing a Model 3 and a Lexus using Lidar... seemed like a set up then, probably the same now.

Yeah, and how old is their build of the software? It's been a long time since it stopped hitting cones...

... jus' sayin' :p

Good point. I won't believe this FUD claim until they repeat it with a real child, running the tyke over.

... and dress that "real" child like a traffic cone, and make sure they don't move. You know, like a real tyke. With no adults within sight.

:p

Last edited:
Reactions: AZRI11 and wipster
I brought this up yesterday as I was reading through the bill. It turns out that the cap on used cars is 25K. So it wouldn't affect most used Teslas in the near future.

But it's nice to know that it will prop up the resale value in the long term. There are no restrictions about mineral sourcing for used EVs. So the Tesla you own today will eventually qualify for the credit if you hold on long enough.
Dunno. If you believe Elon, in the not very distant future FSD alone will be worth >$25K. Never mind the actual car.