Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could Tesla use rooftop solar and megapacks in a meaningful time or manner to offset a Russian gas cutoff to Germany including possibility GigaBerlin? It seems a likely necessity in the long run anyway.
They would need new melting furnaces, because the melt furnaces are powered by gas now. So this is not easy.

Sabatier process to make methane, in the long run. Currently under R&D by SpaceX for manufacturing propellant on Mars from water, CO2, and solar energy.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: elasalle
What I am concerned about (not Twitter, as I consider this to be just all noise, no signal) is another potential COVID lockdown in Shanghai. We all know the media is going to spin Q2 numbers to make it look like Tesla is doing worse than it is. Sequential quarters of bad numbers, regardless of the reasons, will make it exponentially easier for the media and FUDsters to argue that TSLA is over-valued.

It's clear that this new variant of COVID is accelerating. I will be keenly watching for any messaging from China about testing, infection rates, etc. If Xi announced China was relaxing their zero-COVID policy (highly unlikely IMO), I think the entire stock market would spike, and TSLA would spike much higher than the rest of the market. One can hope.....

What I am concerned about (not Twitter, as I consider this to be just all noise, no signal) is another potential COVID lockdown in Shanghai. We all know the media is going to spin Q2 numbers to make it look like Tesla is doing worse than it is. Sequential quarters of bad numbers, regardless of the reasons, will make it exponentially easier for the media and FUDsters to argue that TSLA is over-valued.

It's clear that this new variant of COVID is accelerating. I will be keenly watching for any messaging from China about testing, infection rates, etc. If Xi announced China was relaxing their zero-COVID policy (highly unlikely IMO), I think the entire stock market would spike, and TSLA would spike much higher than the rest of the market. One can hope.....
Yeah I agree with this. Another shutdown to start a quarter would be real bad. Guess we will see how determined China is to maintain this zero-COVID policy.

I don't think a lawsuit is in anyone's best interest, but I agree he's more of a liability than an asset to Tesla at this point.

Almost everyone on this board vehemently disagrees with that, though, and unless Elon chooses to move on from Tesla (which i would be ASTOUNDED by) there's really nothing that can be done.
Elon's "antics" made a few folks around these parts wealthier than they ever could have imagined, so not sure you'll get a lot of support on your point of view

Yeah I agree with this. Another shutdown to start a quarter would be real bad. Guess we will see how determined China is to maintain this zero-COVID policy.
They need to put some time between Xi’s recent comments about committing to zero COVID and any major changes in policy.

Last week’s mini-freak out here and elsewhere on the internet over a case spike and more mass testing ended in…the blame being put on a few locations, with business licenses revoked. That allows Shanghai government to look like they’re taking the situation very seriously while not going back into massive lockdowns.

Once again, I’m not saying giga Shanghai won’t undergo another forced shutdown, but try to temper any worries. There’s a lot of bad information out there.

They need to put some time between Xi’s recent comments about committing to zero COVID and any major changes in policy.

Last week’s mini-freak out here and elsewhere on the internet over a case spike and more mass testing ended in…the blame being put on a few locations, with business licenses revoked. That allows Shanghai government to look like they’re taking the situation very seriously while not going back into massive lockdowns.

Once again, I’m not saying giga Shanghai won’t undergo another forced shutdown, but try to temper any worries. There’s a lot of bad information out there.
I expect to see weekly China fear mongering FUD articles……it’s the new “demand worries” for TSLA.

And there’s going to be no way to tell what’s accurate and false updates

Worse than this... seems the recall fix is causing another issue.
And only recalled in some places - I checked 2020-22 for UK recalls.

4 recalls, but none related to welding/failure of connectors https://www.check-vehicle-recalls.s...e/FORD/model/MUSTANG MACH-E/year/2021/recalls

This story will continue for many of the other 50% of Mach-E outside of USA/North America). I'm surprised EU hasn't made a fuss.

Do you "recall" the Norwegian (plus USA mountain-region) Mach-E cars that failed under prolonged descents?

Ford Norway's explanation was battery heat - but some speculation it was motor/drive heat as batteries designed to fast charge but motors>electronics>battery might not be designed or tested for long spells of regen (some mentioned low speeds - so duration rather than peak regen power possibly).

TWTR just hit -10% SP to trigger it's circuit breaker:

Note: $36.81 * 0.9 = $33.129 triggers the Uptick Rule.

sc.TWTR.10-DayChart.2022-07-11.14-45.-10percentCurcuitBreakerHit.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rammstein
Here's to hoping that *IF* Germany goes to level 3, that Giga Berlin will get full energy needs met. July 21st, the pipeline is supposed to be turned back on...

"Analysts at political risk consultancy Eurasia Group said that if Putin orchestrated a total cutoff of gas supplies beyond the scheduled end of maintenance works on the Nord Stream 1 pipeline, Germany would likely be forced to move to level three of its three-stage emergency gas plan.

At this level, Germany’s regulator, Bundesnetzagentur, would need to decide how to distribute gas supplies nationwide."

Industrial plant shutdowns or curtailment is a very real risk factor right now for Germany. Natural gas will be prioritized for home heating. Tesla may be in for a bumpy ride for the next year until this gets sorted out.