Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you think Tesla is making a mistake here, let's watch how it plays out for those manufacturers who think it's a good idea.

I go back and forth on VTG. Ford is either going to have to limit how often the trucks can be used for this purpose (walking back on their marketing), or they will face a massive warranty cost for battery degradation.

IMO the real value of VTG would be for utility companies to be able use them for demand response. The savings are there for utilities, but they are rarely agile enough to take advantage of something like this. They would need to seriously subsidize the utility bills for customers who signed up for this.

That doesn't make sense. My over-arching point is we don't live in a perfect world where VTG actually has the net benefits people think it has. Ford might need the VTG gimmick to sell their poorly engineered, overweight, poor-handling trucks for a very high price and add to their margins by selling this high margin option, but Tesla doesn't need that and will not offer it. This will not turn out to be a strategic mistake.

If you need or want the feature that bad, please switch to Ford. Tesla is not worried. And for good reason. I don't expect you to see it how I see it but I'm confident this is the smart, forward-thinking decision. Tesla should not be tempted to add every feature some of their customers think they want. They don't need to do that either.
People did use the Prius in an emergency, but they way they used it was different that VTG. They used the Prius to run a few appliances (like the fridge) so no issue with the utility workers.

Yes.......during a once in a decade type event which was the financial/housing crisis.........unless you believe we're in once in a decade event right now, then it's not a valid comparison.
Well if you read my original post, the caveat is we need to be in a bear market which would require you know..mass unemployment due to some kind of once in a life time trauma to the economy.

or they will face a massive warranty cost for battery degradation.
This.

I figure the marketing department forgot to talk to the engineering team prior to announcing as they would need advanced tech to offer that feature.

Kudos if they can deliver though 🙂

Ford might need the VTG gimmick to sell their poorly engineered, overweight, poor-handling trucks for a very high price and add to their margins by selling this high margin option, but Tesla doesn't need that and will not offer it.
Have you driven a Ford F-150 lightening? A cybertruck? Or is this just Ford FUD? I am persnally curious about the handling, as that to me will be a big factor in differentiating the trucks, more so than V2G. Also though as a work-truck I am concerned about the tapering sidwalls of the cybertruck (anyone who uses a pick up a lot for manual work is often throwing things over the side and having the taper limits you to the back.

As the ford will be the fist F-150 with independent rear suspension, the handling and ride should benefit greatly from that.

This.

I figure the marketing department forgot to talk to the engineering team prior to announcing as they would need advanced tech to offer that feature.

Kudos if they can deliver though 🙂
Can't put a price on dunking on some Tesla stans on Twitter though.
Have you driven a Ford F-150 lightening? A cybertruck? Or is this just Ford FUD? I am persnally curious about the handling, as that to me will be a big factor in differentiating the trucks, more so than V2G. Also though as a work-truck I am concerned about the tapering sidwalls of the cybertruck (anyone who uses a pick up a lot for manual work is often throwing things over the side and having the taper limits you to the back.

As the ford will be the fist F-150 with independent rear suspension, the handling and ride should benefit greatly from that.
Still body on frame right? The CT should handle far better.

I think the bed of the CT will be a benefit for some people, and a minor annoyance for others. Specs vs price will be the winner in the end though.

I'm sure we'll see V2G from Tesla once the million mile batteries are more widely available. Right now the cars with LFP batteries are best suited to V2G. Those cars, I assume, are also currently Tesla's lowest margin models. Once the improved 4680 batteries are flowing, there will be less risk of herding the customers most interested in V2G toward the lowest margin vehicles.
I suspect you are correct. As shareholders, we shouldn't want V2G offered on our vehicles until we understand and control the potential warranty claims that might result from excessive cycling of the car battery. Tesla has a great track record of doing their battery durability homework (unlike Nissan, Porsche, GM and LG) so it makes sense to delay V2G until you have the battery durability to ensure an acceptable amount of warranty claims.

Last edited:

I'm kinda keen on the storage that will be in those tapered panels. Perfect for stuff that might otherwise clutter up the cabin or be bouncing around in the bed.

The only sense in which there is an issue is that they haven't updated their language to the software age.
Recall has a specific meaning in terms of enforcement and there's no need to abandon the word.

I have had recalls on my past 3 cars, none of which are Tesla, and I think that at least half were software fixes.

I think it would be very helpful to both Tesla and other manufacturers specifically to say "Software Recall" to make it clear that there it doesn't require a supply of parts or the kind of physical part replacement that is prone to error.
I'm looking for "OTA recall" which means that it gets fixed while I'm on the couch reading TMC...

Reactions: Sancho and JustMe
Ok if you don't want to acknowledge the difference between a forward p/e of 200 to 150 to 90 to 60 to 50 then laugh 🤷‍♂️

Doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of the p/e compression has already happened and that there's little room to compress anymore. Whether that means a forward p/e of 90 or 60 or 50 is most it can compress, we don't know. But it doesn't change the fact that we're getting close to a breaking point where the stock is forced higher based on that metric simply because of how much Tesla is growing earnings quarter over quarter.
I say enjoy the detachment from fundamentals that these low forward multiples represent, it means being able to accumulate even more shares at a discount. Load up as much as possible on shares while you can. If people want to sell $1 bills for 20c, I’ll buy them all day long.

(Pouring one out for the short term options players, i feel you…but insert standard “market may remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent, just buy shares instead“ yada yada yada commentary)

Last edited:
Stupid market wide selloff after hours on the back of weak Meta(Facebook) earnings, despite the fact its troubles are company specific (they are getting hammered by the impact of Apple’s privacy implementations).
I think we're getting close to being able to retire the acronym FAANG. I expect Amazon's to continue to disappoint for a while as well.

Anyone want to come up with a new acronym for Microsoft, Apple, Google, and Tesla?

I think we're getting close to being able to retire the acronym FAANG. I expect Amazon's to continue to disappoint for a while as well.

Anyone want to come up with a new acronym for Microsoft, Apple, Google, and Tesla?
My primary Investments are TSLA & AAPL, which you can combine and rearrange as SPALLATA, which is Italian for “Shoulder Charge“ which I find quite appropriate for how both companies dominate their respective industries.