Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cheaper to power, cheaper to maintain, less crashes, and people pay more to rent a Tesla. I wonder if there is possibly some form of tesla insurance eventuating, with either tesla owners bringing their tesla safety scores with them, or hertz customers can get a safety score from their previous tesla rentals - eother of which may lower insurance cost for customers.
I don't think rental companies service their cars, but the resale on a Tesla is way better.

Years ago my insurance gave me a rental while my car was repaired after being badly hit. I was a courier driver. After 5,000 kms in a month, and 30,000 total kms on the odometer, I asked them if they wanted to change the oil or anything. The guy said "what? NO." Thought after that, I'll never buy an ex-rental car!

Last edited:
I doubt it. Seems like additional liability Hertz probably doesn't want to take on. Based on their calculation FSD was not purchased unless Tesla gave them a deal on the base price
They probably just did the same maintenance and fueling cost/benefit we all have done.

Hertz just closed off a big path for other EVs to compete with Tesla. A 100,000 order from the biggest rental car brand would have been a big boost for VW, etc. Might have been the catalyst to make them a contender.

Now it’s unlikely Hertz is going to place another order like that anytime soon. And I don’t see how Avis, et. al competes here without buying a bunch of Teslas of their own.

Might all be 3 SR (and future Y SR) orders which would still mean good margins. (Just speculating)
Current price is 43,990, destination and documentation is 1,200, so revenue is 45,120. $42k is a $3k hit or about 7%. If Hertz handles the shipping, it improves things (assuming fleet sales still pay the $1,200).
Deliveries go through 2022, so likely Tesla's COGS will be lower (Austin) which will bump margin back up. Austin will also shorten the shipping route reducing cost there.

Edit: Y is at Austin, not 3...

Last edited:
Tesla is showing NHTSA how they do a "recall" to all affected cars in the fleet.

Not very well though- owners were given 0 info about what's going on unless they specifically kept checking Elons twitter.

(and no, this is NOT a post about needing a PR team)

I mean- it's fantastic they have the capability of stopping a rollout they know there's safety issues with- but they ALSO have the capability of sending an automated message via the app informing owners that happened, including those who already got the problematic update and might otherwise only find a problem during driving.

Which happened to a number of folks that have posted about it.

Which isn't great.

Further- the initial rollback was stopped too (I'm still on the broken version myself- the rollback push was accidentally a non-FSDbeta version-- bad in that it prompted a bunch of upset folks who have now "lost" the beta.... but then they pulled it when many folks were mid-download and those folks are STILL on the "dangerous" version right now).

So I had no idea when I'd get a "safe" firmware version at all.

Since I DO read Elons twitter, he said a new 10.3.1 was now rolling out (posted ~2 hours ago)--- checking my app right now though still nothing- so I'm still on the "dangerous" version and if I hadn't been paying attention to twitter or this forum I'd have no idea that was the case.

I'm fortunate in that I can just not drive it for a day or two if needed, but not everyone has the option-- and more importantly, the "average" owner would have no idea he shouldn't drive today on 10.3 and should wait for 10.3.1.

Which could easily have been fixed with a message push via the app.

And I have no doubt if someone pointed that out to Elon he'd agree that it should obviously happen any time a version is pulled but there might be people who installed the 'bad' version and don't realize it's bad. But nobody has, and he's got 27,000 other more important things in his head at any given time otherwise.

Tesla has a lot of towering strengths, but communication and messaging isn't one of them. Normally not a huge issue-- but here, esp. with NHTSA already sniffing around not understanding OTA and recalls-- it's....not great.

Hertz just closed off a big path for other EVs to compete with Tesla. A 100,000 order from the biggest rental car brand would have been a big boost for VW, etc. Might have been the catalyst to make them a contender.

Now it’s unlikely Hertz is going to place another order like that anytime soon. And I don’t see how Avis, et. al competes here without buying a bunch of Teslas of their own.
Yeah, not just the “Tesla cult” buying anymore. Hertz will have done their homework. This is a big corporate endorsement, probably as big as Semi fleet sales.

More rental companies, Taxis, corporate leases…

Current price is 43,990, destination and documentation is 1,200, so revenue is 45,120. $42k is a $3k hit or about 7%. If Hertz handles the shipping, it improves things (assuming fleet sales still pay the $1,200).
Deliveries go through 2022, so likely Tesla's COGS will be lower (Austin) which will bump margin back up. Austin will also shorten the shipping route reducing cost there.

Ferragu (and FactChecking) don’t think there’s any discount. Plus, if there’s already a Hertz Tesla add, the deal was probably negotiated some time ago.

Nope, I still hate Tom Brady.

Interesting that only M3 is mentioned in the release. I would have thought the MY would have been at least half of the order, but maybe Tesla wouldn’t sell them any Ys.

”Let’s see how you do with the M3, young man. Then we’ll talk about the Y.”

Hertz said this 100K is an initial order. Another order of Y's could be coming later on. :cool: