Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wedge.
FF3B9043-EFCA-41BB-B10F-FA5BD68B25BD.jpeg

@Artful Dodger
my brain is hurting a bit
lines 4&5 _both_ say 2020/9/18
but have wildly different volume numbers.
Your brain's working fine. There's a formula that skipped a row in my worksheet, thanks for pointing that out. :)

i’ve been going over my numbers i download from nasdaq and some are the same as yours, but some differ occasionally subtly.
i’m suspicious of my data suddenly.
plus where do you get both the 4pm EDGAR and 10pm nasdaq final please
NASDAQ posts the daily-volume-thru- 4pm with there Advanced Chart page, data is final by 4:17 pm (delayed data). Unfortunately, the is no archive of the 4 pm data. The following day when the chart updates, that 4 pm Vol info is lost forever unless you record. it.

i’m wondering if there would be a divergence of graphs if i separated the 2 out and did a few visuals
Sure, experiment with charts and graphs. Visualization is a powerful tool.

i also noticed the nasdaq i download from only goes back exactly 10 years, which they define as “maximum” although my data goes a few more years further back.

any help please
thanks
My database goes back to May 2015, so you've got me beat there. I do notice that all the parameters changed on Jan 30, 2020 when Citidel announced coverage of TSLA. That's when the epic naked shorting began.

As @Singuy states, the show and tell is the first 48min.
If you don't have 48 min, do what I did.
I put the video on 2x speed and advanced 5 seconds (hitting the right arrow on the keyboard) often right after the presenter made his main point. There is a lot of Q&A going on with 2 other participants on the video. I watched the first 48min this way and completed it in 7 min.
Even with this 7 min version, I found this video very worthwhile.
This battery video sure deserves an animation (part of what I used to do in Visual Manufacturing). It's really only about 5-10 min of content. His presentation is identical to me sitting down with the "Subject Matter Expert" typically for 1 hr. Someone is doing this somewhere I bet... or should. The Learning Efficiency improvement could save humanity millions of hours long-term - go ahead, laugh. Batteries are so fundamental. And it's pretty clear to me that Tesla wants this knowledge out there. I give it 1 week, and we'll see it on YouTube. Just not my gig anymore - I'm a Pedalsmith now, new career path.

OT... I listened to that video at 1.5x speed, and the whole time I thought Karpathy was the speaker. Same voice, lol. I could not figure out why the AI guy was explaining the 4680 Assy process. So what happens when we slow down Karpathy? Sounds like this guy? In theory...

• Informative
Reactions: The Accountant
This battery video sure deserves an animation (part of what I used to do in Visual Manufacturing). It's really only about 5-10 min of content. His presentation is identical to me sitting down with the "Subject Matter Expert" typically for 1 hr. Someone is doing this somewhere I bet... or should. The Learning Efficiency improvement could save humanity millions of hours long-term - go ahead, laugh. Batteries are so fundamental. And it's pretty clear to me that Tesla wants this knowledge out there. I give it 1 week, and we'll see it on YouTube. Just not my gig anymore - I'm a Pedalsmith now, new career path.

OT... I listened to that video at 1.5x speed, and the whole time I thought Karpathy was the speaker. Same voice, lol. I could not figure out why the AI guy was explaining the 4680 Assy process. So what happens when we slow down Karpathy? Sounds like this guy? In theory...
You wouldn't have understood karpathy at 1.5x speed as his usual talking speed is already 2x.

Itay Michaeli of Citigroup expects TSLA to earn $1.89 in Q3 and has a price target of $200.

At his price target this would give TSLA a current PE of 26.

Citigroup is apparently fine with this.
You're clearly not a savvy Wall Street investor, no one expects a retail investor to comprehend such complexities. Try not to feel too bad.

According to @JayInShanghai, Tesla China October deliveries could be significantly better than expected due to resolution of the Sept wheel shortage problem.

My guess is the missing 19 inch wheels will also move those production numbers from Sept to Oct, and, by "orders" he probably meant fulfillment of those MY orders. Hopefully he can provide some volume numbers later on.

I know it's difficult but it's really for the better the less you pay attention to THO$E digits in your portfolio (because they are subject to irrational fluctuations). The important digits are the ones that tell you how many shares you own.
Good advice. My problem is I’m paying too close attention to my share count and wanting to keep it at a nice round number, so I won’t even part with 1 share. I feel like a dragon trying to hoard precious gems and gold!

1634662636270.png

Watching the share price today is like watching paint dry; however, you're in luck . . I have something much more exciting for you: Accounting.
(trying to solicit a response from the grouchy cat . . .you know who you are).

There were some discussions about Free Cash Flow (FCF) a few posts back.
FCF is Cash generated from business operations less spending on Capital Expenditures.
Here is Tesla's FCF for the last 4 quarters and my estimate for Q3 2021:

1634663028839.png

With Free Cash Flow, Tesla is then:
- free to pay down debt
- free to buyback shares
- free to pay dividends
- free to purchase another company
- free to buy Bitcoin
- or free to add to their cash account

Here is how Tesla has used their FCF in the past and what I expect in Q3:
1634663176524.png

As you can see, Tesla has used much of it's FCF to pay down debt and buy Bitcoin.
They raised cash from Equity raises in Q3 & Q4 2020.

My annual projections for FCF are:
$ 4b - 2021
$ 9b - 2022
$15b - 2023
$24b - 2024

There is only so much debt to be paid down; Tesla will be sitting on a pile of cash.

Tesla's BTC holdings are still going up as it heads towards the previous ATH of 65k. Some actual sane people like Cathie think that a 500k BTC is possible in the next 3-5 years. While hard to wrap my head around, that would leave Tesla with well over 20 billion in BTC profits.

The chart I had been looking at previously was wrong. We will have a small impairment in Q3 but trivial.
Itay Michaeli of Citigroup expects TSLA to earn $1.89 in Q3 and has a price target of $200.

At his price target this would give TSLA a current PE of 26.

Citigroup is apparently fine with this.

That's very suspicious. Gotta be a street high earnings estimate, but combined with one of the lowest PTs?

6-figure daily swings in my account are cool and all, but where's my Plaid Model X :mad::cool:😅:confused:
TMC Investors Forum... where subtle brags aren't so subtle. 😏

So here's mine. I just exercised all the Jan '22 200 calls that I picked up for peanuts at the bottom of the covid drop last year (then as deep OTM 1000 presplit leaps). To think that at the time I wasn't even sure they would end up in the money, let alone appreciate more than 7000%.

Any chance that I'll get to see the trademark "T" in the afterhours chart?