Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how accurate that article is though?

They state Tesla is pushing out delivery dates due to the chip shortage, but we all know Tesla is producing more cars than ever before currently, and that the delivery dates are pushed out due to DEMAND, not the chip shortage.

If they got Tesla wrong how many of the other auto makers did they get wrong too?
They were pretty much factual on every car manufacturer except Tesla. I think its safe to say that the demand for Tesla cars is definately there. But one could argue that Tesla would have had higher output if they weren't impacted by the chip shortage. Elon pretty much said during 2Q call i think it was that they had to re-program to utilize different chips due to supply constraints; that has a definite impact on production...

I'm not sure how accurate that article is though?

They state Tesla is pushing out delivery dates due to the chip shortage, but we all know Tesla is producing more cars than ever before currently, and that the delivery dates are pushed out due to DEMAND, not the chip shortage.

If they got Tesla wrong how many of the other auto makers did they get wrong too?
As the old adage says, if I may paraphrase:

”You realise how horrendous and useless journalism is when they write about a topic you know intimately.”

Yeah, 99% of so called journalism might as well be some random ignoramus posting on Twitter with the usual headline certainty that the medium lends itself to so well. Just grab the tweet and run with it is the fact-checking of the day.

Reason for share price jump? Chip factories under construction...

This is just something we haven't seen in quite some time, it's called volume. Big boys are looking to jump on board before what's obviously a blockbuster 3Q/4Q earnings run.......and there's no shares available.

It's gonna take a LOT of money to push this thing below $760 if we get any semblance of maintained volume this afternoon. Lets see if MM's deem it a worthwhile effort. Either way.....we eventually win.

But Stellantis pulled out of that pooling agreement, didn't they?
Tavares said they would not need the pool in may, but AFAIK they've not actually left thus far.
Without doubt the PSA side has had excellent progress, but whether they actually drop out or not so far seems in question since he also said this:
and more recently this Stellantis press release:

So, maybe there is still 2021 pooling in play. from the Peugeot side they've had some constraints on the e-208 and the SUV's too. Separately there have been major developments about the future at Stellantis, as indicated in part in the press release above.

Perhaps the question really is mostly how much the chip shortages and other issues may have had on Stellantis aggressive plans for 2021.

Sorry for excessive detail, but it is unclear exactly what is happening with pooling despite the Tavares May pronouncement.

Somebody already posted this video, but something about Mayur’s focus on ROIC and comparison of Tesla’s 23% to Apple’s 40% bothered me and I believe I figured it out.

ROIC on EXISTING (already deployed) capital (like Apple) is not that pertinent.

E.g. Assume another company (Apple Prime) has 2.5X more capital deployed than Apple but only has a 20% ROI vs Apple’s 40%, but is identical in every other way. Apple Prime should be more highly valued, because the cash flow would be greater.

Apple OBVIOUSLY cannot get a 40% ROI on NEW capital deployment, because if they could, they would immediately halt buybacks, dividends, deplete their bank account and borrow as much as possible to invest that new capital at a 40% rate of return:)

So ROEC (Return on existing capital) is just not important. Nobody cares about how much capital you had to deploy to get your present cash flows. Only the size of the cash flows and your present debt/cash balance matters.

So while Tesla has 23% ROEC, that’s not important. What IS important is their RONC (Return on New Capital).

Supposedly GF Shanghai Phase 1 only cost $1B. At 250k units per year and $10k gross profits / unit, that’s a staggering 250% gross profit return on that capital. I would imagine net cash flows from that factory would be a huge portion of that as OpEx shouldn’t be that high for that factory alone and/or China operations. Note: I believe GF Berlin and Austin are not that cheap, so I wouldn’t expect that RONC.

So RONC is one of the largest determinants on growth rate. And it is growth rate that is important! I believe Mayur mentioned legacy auto gets 10% RONC, but since new capital costs them 10%, they have no motivation to expand.

So ROEC is an historical measurement that is only important in so far as it helps predict RONC, which is EXTREMELY important as well as the total addressable market which helps decide how long a very high RONC can continue. In Tesla’s case, the addressable market for transport and energy is GIGANTIC, so they have a huge runway, which becomes infinite if they solve TeslaBot.

Last edited:
Tavares said they would not need the pool in may, but AFAIK they've not actually left thus far.

No they separated their pool. see: https://circabc.europa.eu/sd/a/c616f73f-9c3f-49ee-8f27-8b081d3212b7/M1 pooling list 22.06.2021.pdf

The 2020 pool:
1632497519144.png

The 2021 pool:
1632497537855.png

Apple OBVIOUSLY cannot get a 40% ROI on NEW capital deployment, because if they could, they would immediately halt buybacks, dividends, deplete their bank account and borrow as much as possible to invest that new capital at a 40% rate of return
No. This kind of logic works only if Apple's only purpose is to make the maximum profit. It isn't, and never has been. Same is true of Tesla. This is why Wall Street so utterly fails to understand either of these companies.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand

According to new vehicle registration data from the Road Traffic Information Council (OFV), new petrol and diesel car registered in the first 8 months of 2021 amounted to just 4.93% and 4.73% of total registrations.

That compares to 2017 when fossil fuel burning cars made up more than 25%.

If the trend over the last 4 years continues, new petrol and diesel car sales will reach near zero by April 2022 – just 7 months away