Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well with recent tweets Elon doesn't seem publicly worried about the NHTSA investigations. Days like today make me question the amount of money I have riding in TSLA. If they get the wings of autopilot clipped or altered, how does that effect the stock price?

Not much. Short term blip at most.

I would estimate a large piece of the $1.32B would come to earnings when the Button is released. Maybe $800m to $1B?
What is the share of deferred revenue from US cars vs ROW ?

My guess would be around $500M to be recognized when FSD Beta is in wide release in US. May be $300M or so when it gets release in ROW - with the rest left over for future releases.

There is one important caveat though - if Tesla wants to argue that with FSD beta release they have completed ALL their obligation for the money they took for FSD - then they have recognize more of the revenue. This will hedge against any future class action ...

What is the share of deferred revenue from US cars vs ROW ?

My guess would be around $500M to be recognized when FSD Beta is in wide release in US. May be $300M or so when it gets release in ROW - with the rest left over for future releases.

There is one important caveat though - if Tesla wants to argue that with FSD beta release they have completed ALL their obligation for the money they took for FSD - then they have recognize more of the revenue. This will hedge against any future class action ...
FSD take rate outside of US had been miniscule per some numbers Troy was tracking. Not sure how grounded it was, but 5/8 in the US may be an underestimate imho.

aef9de02db6f960e757d53fbe7813bc1.png

The job of Directors is not to rubber-stamp top management, it's to provide oversight of top management.

James Murdoch signaled he put principles above money when he unexpectedly quit his families multi-billion dollar media empire where he had been CEO of two different arms for years. His resignation letter indicated it was over editorial content and other principles the corporation held as ideals. I don't think any serious person thinks this was all some kind of elaborate and misleading deception for nefarious purposes.
Your second paragraph is something with which I agree and accordingly, not only have I no philosophical or otherwise substantive beef with Mr James Murdoch, but rather I view his familial break as having given him a large - very large - number of my rarely doled-out Teslapoints. Good on him.

But your first paragraph is only somewhat correct. In a publicly-owned corporation the role of the Board of Directors is to act as the shareholders’ proxy, defensor, ombudsman, advocate, so that the officers of the company have the Board to answer to because it is beyond the capacity of the shareholders to so do. Thus, your wording of “oversight“ is correct but not sufficient: it is oversight on behalf of THEIR charges - who are the shareholders.

As such, it inherently is the case that the interaction between a Board and its corporation‘s officers is an adversarial one. In the USofA - I cannot speak with great experience in non-US cases - this is very, very often breached and rubber-stamping does, alas, come closer to how far too many Boards operate. But that is a perversion of the system.

People are forgetting that getting the deferred revenue is nice, but getting it for every future sale is even nicer. That $1B now, will be $1B/year once sales of new FSD/year equals all past sales of FSD. Times future growth. And this is just for this once release of deferred revenue… Plus take rate will go up. Plus sales will go up. It will just be so obvious to every buyer that getting that BMW without FSD is a worse idea than getting that Model Y with FSD.

I think it is pretty obvious to most rational people that Tesla earnings will very likely grow a lot over the coming quarters. Imo just HODL for a while, wait for reality to catch up with wallstreet. They are very dense, but eventually the numbers will be staring directly into their faces.

Best they can do is negotiate supply agreements ahead of time.
This.^^ Vertical integration of chip fab is not economical. The fab tech moves at a breakneck cadence that only gigavolume justifies attempting. Many orders of magnitude beyond Tesla's needs, certainly for many years. Their best bet is to negotiate supplier agreements of significant volumes and pricing to guarantee your priority and supply. It needs to be a real partnership like with Panasonic such that it's dependable.

Suppose one day Tesla is able to demonstrate to regulators that FSD is 10X safer than a human driver. What happens when a competitor is only able to demonstrate that its autonomy tech is just 2X safer than human drivers. This would imply that Tesla's tech is abut 5X safer than the competitor's. Should regulators approve the inferior tech?

Of course they should. The regulators are not going to force everyone to buy a Tesla simply because it's 5X safer than a human! They wouldn't do that anymore than they forced everyone to buy a Volvo in the 1970's because they were multiple times safer than anything else available.

fundamentally how does such an amorphous meta variable like IV suddenly move in such a coordinated fashion? You can’t directly buy/sell IV so how does the market suddenly decide to rapidly revalue it? My assumption here is some big money started selling off call/put positions. Perhaps most of the selling was puts which would help explain a pop in underlying and then there is just some variety of correlation in IV across all tranches. That’s what I’m going with. Someone sold a lot of puts.

I believe the 'implied" in "implied volatility" is implied by the options pricing. Which, if the options are liquid, is determined by supply and demand. I don't know how market makers initially price them but once they start trading it's done with the bid and the ask, supply and demand.

Well with recent tweets Elon doesn't seem publicly worried about the NHTSA investigations. Days like today make me question the amount of money I have riding in TSLA. If they get the wings of autopilot clipped or altered, how does that effect the stock price?

In the bigger picture, this is a big nothing-burger. You cannot stop an idea whose time has come.

Even if the regulators are not simply going through the motions of doing their job, they are too slow and ineffective to stop FSD. And they know we have courts to keep them in bounds. The worse they can do is cause a temporary kerfluffle followed by them losing respect. A talented regulator can be pretty powerful when acting in the public interest. Not so much if they are faking it.

Fab steps from Wikipedia:
List of Applied Materials technologies that their products support"
Applied Materials do much of what is needed in a fab plant. Could Tesla have bought 9 different machines that together make a mini fab?

Fab steps from Wikipedia:
List of Applied Materials technologies that their products support"
Applied Materials do much of what is needed in a fab plant. Could Tesla have bought 9 different machines that together make a mini fab?

This tweet suggests Tesla are getting nine of these:

Applied® Sigmameltec® CTS Mask Coat Series | Applied Materials

Seems less likely as I am guessing that would produce too many chips when combined with all the other equipment.